Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Network limiting software?

This is a discussion on Network limiting software? within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there software out there that allows me to limit how much data I use a day? I want something

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is there software out there that allows me to limit how much data I use a day?
I want something that will say "Hey you're getting close to your limit" and then "You've reached your limit" and then disconnects my internet.

Earlier today, while surfing the web, I got a notice... (see attached pic)

First of all, (rant incoming) Cable One got rid of their 50 Mbps plan that we had been using (never once did we have any complaints of overusage). They stuck us on this new 100Mbps plan and suddenly we are on our "second notice" letting us know they're going to start tacking on fees if we go over one more time. So I need a way to have my internet disconnect automatically to prevent me from going over x amount per day. Cause no way I can afford an additional 50 a month to get the 200Mbps plan that would give enough data..

So far all I can find is stuff that lets me monitor it or limit my speeds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	259314  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You could look into NetWorx:

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

You can monitor the router and set quotas which will send notifications. It appears it will block traffic when the quota is reached, but I don't use that function, so I can't verify it.

400+ Gb/Mo?

I use less than 20Gb/mo.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
You could look into NetWorx:

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

You can monitor the router and set quotas which will send notifications. It appears it will block traffic when the quota is reached, but I don't use that function, so I can't verify it.

400+ Gb/Mo?

I use less than 20Gb/mo.
I'm on my computer a lot. Be it games, videos, or college, I'm practically on it constantly. However... Throughout today I've used about 4 gb of data. I'd need to be using about 10 per day to even hit 300 so I'm not sure how I'm hitting 476.

Also, I actually downloaded Networx much earlier today to start monitoring but I didn't see anything about setting quotas until after more closely looking at it after you made your post, so thank you. I'll have to test that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

This isn't an issue with your ISP speed being increased, aside from that fact that you can now get more, faster. You simply need to pay closer attention to what you are doing.

Personally, having it automatically disconnect, could be a problem in itself. Monitor your usage, and take note of what you are doing that is using the data. I'm sure you have a pretty good idea already, even if you didn't post it here (and we don't need to know).

I will also point out that your computer isn't the only hardware that could be using data. If you have wifi setup, then you likely have wireless devices (such as your phone) on the network, If you have a Smart TV or Roku (or similar) and watch streaming video (ie: NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon, etc.), or if you have an xBox/PS4, etc. ALL of these use data.

Video streaming and gaming (xBox/Ps4,PC with Steam) can eat up huge chunks of data at a time. Game updates, or Steam PC games can be eat GB's at a time.

Having your connection shut off after downloading 5GB of a 5.5GB Steam game would be extremely annoying and won't really solve your main issue. IE: Pay attention to what you are doing.

Closed Thread