Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

MP3 Editor That Doesn't Involve Encoding?

This is a discussion on MP3 Editor That Doesn't Involve Encoding? within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been using Audacity to trim music tracks, but that seems like overkill in some ways. All I want to

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I've been using Audacity to trim music tracks, but that seems like overkill in some ways. All I want to do in many cases is clip a few seconds off the beginning or end, not rework the whole thing.

Is there something trustworthy out there that can be used to do this that doesn't need to re-encode the whole track?

Audacity will save to other formats such as WMA, but I haven't tried that yet.

Some of the ones I see in a quick search seem a bit sketchy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

I use Audacity to record radio programs and was looking for something simpler to edit out commercials.

I can't remember why but I downloaded AD MP3 Cutter. I've not tried it yet but the company seem to have other, similar programs. Perhaps we can keep each other informed if/when we find others.

Adrosoft, Sound Recording Software

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I find stuff like this:

SnapFiles freeware and shareware downloads and reviews, trusted for quality since 1997 › Freeware › Multimedia › Audio Editing

"The best part is this is "a lossless stream editor", so you clip out sections of the MP3 file and save them without any encoding/transcoding"

mp3-cutter-plus.software.informer.com/

"MP3 Cutter Plus is a fast and free MP3 splitter to easily select and save fragments of your MP3 files without any re-encoding, preserving the original quality and ..."

There are others also, but I just don't trust those kinds of sites any more. I got stung a few years back by similar sites. Download is just a snakepit any more. I don't even go there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Maybe I'll just start saving as WMA. Any drawbacks there?
Old 10-31-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Maybe you know more about this stuff than I, does saving as WMA make it easier to edit?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 11-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

There is some stuff recommended here Best free audio editing software: 8 programs we recommend | TechRadar

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread