Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

looking for freeware that will find all entries in Registry!

This is a discussion on looking for freeware that will find all entries in Registry! within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I have a program called Everything Search Engine that will find all the files that a software installs on

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Troubled

Hi I have a program called Everything Search Engine that will find all the files that a software installs on your PC. There are 63 files that CCleaner installs on your PC.. If you uninstall CCleaner, several of these files get left behind. That's when I use Everything Search to find and delete the left behinds.
What I want is a software that will find all the entries a software installs in your registry. I have a program that will find the entries in the registry, but it is a feature in a program that neither TSF, nor I support, because it is in a registry cleaning software.
I know I can use the Regedit and F3, but that takes for ever. One of you smart people need to design a software that works like Everything Search Engine and finds all the entries in the registry that a software installs in your registry.
There are 51 entries that CCleaner installs in your registry and many will get left behind if you uninstall CCleaner
Sorry for the long thread, but I really want a software that can find all the entries left behind after uninstalling software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture49.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	226249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture48.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	226257  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The thing is what you're actually describing is a reg cleaner in effect, most of what is left behind on uninstall is harmless and others can at times be associated with required reg entries and in order to remove them, the required entry would also be removed, this is often why it is better not to remove them. There is really no need to adjust or remove them as windows will basically ignore them. If you want something that handles things differently, you would be looking at a Mac or linux OS, which does things surprisingly different

There's no registry in Mac OS.

However, you can find most application settings in the Library/Preferences folder. Most apps saves their settings there in separate files. This is not something that's managed by the OS. There's no hive, there's no regedit, nothing like that, Just a bunch of plist files

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

No matter what you use, a manual search through the registry is a lifelong job and you'll probably never find all the remnants since they're not all under the name you're searching with. The usual deletion through the CP or CCleaner is usually sufficient.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
The thing is what you're actually describing is a reg cleaner in effect, most of what is left behind on uninstall is harmless and others can at times be associated with required reg entries and in order to remove them, the required entry would also be removed, this is often why it is better not to remove them. There is really no need to adjust or remove them as windows will basically ignore them. If you want something that handles things differently, you would be looking at a Mac or linux OS, which does things surprisingly different

There's no registry in Mac OS.

However, you can find most application settings in the Library/Preferences folder. Most apps saves their settings there in separate files. This is not something that's managed by the OS. There's no hive, there's no regedit, nothing like that, Just a bunch of plist files
Spot on joeten. Sometimes reg entries left can be shared by another program.

Why post a screen shot using Reg Seeker? Donateo.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Troubled

Quote:
Why post a screen shot of Reg Seeker? Donateo.
Because I'm a clean freak and that's what I use to find left overs after uninstalling a program. It's not for novelist users. I never mess around in the registry until I have a back up image of my OS on a external HD. I have been using that search feature in RegSeeker for years and I know what I'm doing. That's the only feature of that software that I use. I did not post a link to Regseeker because I don't approve of Reg Cleaners. I used it as a example of a software that will find registry entries installed by software,but I do not recommend it to our members. I totally agree that entries left behind after a uninstall are minor and do not need to be removed. I personally remove them because I can. Some times left behind registry entries will stop you from reinstalling software. That happens a lot with anti-virus programs and one reason i like to clean them from the registry.
PS If this thread breaks any rules or is not appropriate for the forum, please delete it!
You sure question my replies a lot Old Man
PS Before I make any changes to the registry, I use ERUNT to back up my registry. I'll add that to free software in a new thread!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Not a problem, I do understand the clean freak bit, I have come to the conclusion that the use of an Uninstaller, like Revo is a reasonable step as it removes a fair amount of those issues, it does show you first what it finds and you have the option to leave those you may be unsure about. Yes, it does remove Reg entries, but it limits it to those associated with that one program. It's a bit of a compromise re Reg cleaning though IMHO a small one and as I aid you do have the option to leave well enough alone. The other thing I will mention is folks questioning your posts, it's a good thing, whether it's you, me or anyone else it opens up a conversation and gives you the opportunity to provide further insight and info on your reasoning and can be invaluable to others trying to learn from our threads and posts. A big part of what goes on here is basically teaching folks about the various areas of tech and tech related matters that we all get involved in, I think a good outlook is embrace the questions as that might bring better understanding to others and sometimes even yourself.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Troubled

Thanks Joe! REVO will take care of uninstalling software and will do a excellent job. Good program, been around for ever. I will except your reasoning about members questioning my posts. I just get a little punchy about those things as I have trolls that like to follow me around and try to cause me grief.
Sorry OLD MAN EMU. I hope I explained my reason for my attaching the screen shot of Regseeker I do not recommend Regseeker or any Reg cleaner.
PS.Don't want to get off topic, but my friend Rich-M recommended this forum to me and just as he said,"You will really like TSF"
I do!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

I am not out to nail you, Donateo. It is healthy to discuss points of view and why we do things different ways.

What has who recommended TSF to you got to do with the Thread Topic.?
Old 03-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

donetao you have exactly what we all have a passion for helping, you also have what I have, a little bit that ask's why are you questioning my offer of help. It's the nature of the beast you either accept it or you become very unhappy. Acceptance is much easier when you look at yourself, and how you might do a similar thing when faced with the unfamiliar or just plain new experience. It's life with all it's up's and downs.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #10
Troubled

Quote:
What has who recommended TSF to you got to do with the Thread Topic.?
Absolutely nothing! Just a tribute to my friend Rich-M. But I'm glad you noticed, so I can do it again.
You are a very smart person my friend joeten. I can see why you have your title! Now we better get back on topic!!
Thanks for your words of wisdom Joe. That's what makes TSF what it is.
I love people and they feel that love and they return it back to me!
PS It is my understanding that Rich-M had a lot to do with getting this section added to the forum!!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Yes he did and he took inspiration from your idea, I know why you have given him a mention and it is deserved, he is a good man and mentor, he is also a valued friend to me. I say that because he will tell it like it is when asked and I appreciate that, honest and forthright is hard to come by these days. Anyway, back on topic.
Re your previous thread, I hope now you can see why Revo was a choice over Wise Uninstaller for me.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
Troubled

Hi Joe! The reason I choose Wise Uninstaller is because I was told REVO doesn't recognize 64 bit programs I used REVO for years but changed to WISE and I really like it. There is nothing wrong with REVO, but I think the free version only recognizes the 32 bit programs. Wise recognizes all my programs. That's my understanding of the difference between them, and why I made the switch!!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Revo Pro fully compatible with all modern OSs X64. Revo free, not so much.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #14
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Revo Pro fully compatible with all modern OSs X64. Revo free, not so much.
Thanks! That's why I switched to WISE. I have never had REVO Pro
A lot of my programs were not recognized by REVO, but they all seem to be recognized by Wise.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

That is a fair point, hopefully it will get sorted for compatibility.

Closed Thread