Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Installing whatsapp purple on windows7

This is a discussion on Installing whatsapp purple on windows7 within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have installed pidgin successfully. I have also downloaded whatsapp plugin for pidgin from here https://github.com/davidgfnet/whatsapp-purple but i can't install

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Arrow

I have installed pidgin successfully. I have also downloaded whatsapp plugin for pidgin from here https://github.com/davidgfnet/whatsapp-purple

but i can't install the file. I dont know which file in the downloaded main file opens the installer. what to do?

please help. i am new in this forum and eager for receiving your kind help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Where are your downloads saved? The default download location used by the most popular browsers is the Downloads folder in your user directory. It should be in the same place where you ran pidgin's installer.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

So basically you want me to download the file(not only .dll but also the full downloaded file from github) directly in the pidgin folder?? but there are several sub folders inside pidgin folder.

I am newb, can you help me step by step? I have pidgin(portable) downloaded and installed. I have the link of the plugin. Now what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahmeed View Post
So basically you want me to download the file(not only .dll but also the full downloaded file from github) directly in the pidgin folder?? but there are several sub folders inside pidgin folder.

I am newb, can you help me step by step? I have pidgin(portable) downloaded and installed. I have the link of the plugin. Now what?
https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins
Old 03-23-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
already saw all online articles including this :P

Here is what it says:
Installing Plugins

Some plugins are distributed as part of collections. Some plugins are distributed in packages for specific operating systems. (Search your distribution's repository.) But most plugins are distributed as compiled dynamically loaded libraries that have to be manually installed. Check to see if the plugin author has included specific installation instructions. If not, follow the general procedure below:
Windows

1. Download, and if necessary, extract the .dll file.
  2. Move the resulting file to %APPDATA%\.purple\plugins
Now when you open the Plugins dialog in Pidgin or Finch, the plugin should show up.

Now the problem is, when i download the plugin from the github, i get a whole folder including a lot of file, if i copy the dll file from the downloaded folder and paste it in that directory(fyi, i don't have a %appdata% folder in my pidgin portable, i have an app and a data named folder which both contains a folder named plugin), it doesn;t work.

can you please please show me detailed description? can you check it yourself in case you can spend only 350 kb for the plugin and a few mega for pidgin(unless you have it already)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I had a similar problem with this ... still haven't resolved it.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Now the problem is, when i download the plugin from the github...
You are downloading the plugin from the wrong place (github). On that github page (at the bottom) there are specific instructions for users (non-developers) on where to Get a copy from.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

The prob is, I don't have paypal, bitcoin or other payment options given there, it costs 2.5 dollar, it's not a big deal for me, but the problem is payment option :s
Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahmeed View Post
The prob is, I don't have paypal, bitcoin or other payment options given there, it costs 2.5 dollar, it's not a big deal for me, but the problem is payment option :s
You do not need to buy any piece of software to use WhatsApp on a computer. All you need is Google Chrome (for PC) and your phone. Go to https://web.whatsapp.com
Old 06-17-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
You are downloading the plugin from the wrong place (github). On that github page (at the bottom) there are specific instructions for users (non-developers) on where to Get a copy from.
ah ha! Thanks for the tip
Closed Thread