Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

How to Rip Multiple DVD (Recovery Data) to Single Bootable USB

This is a discussion on How to Rip Multiple DVD (Recovery Data) to Single Bootable USB within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I currently have 3 discs of recovery data to reinstall windows. Usually, during installation, the system will prompt the

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I currently have 3 discs of recovery data to reinstall windows. Usually, during installation, the system will prompt the user to insert Disc 1, 2 or 3.

Currently, my DVD RW drive is not working. Therefore, I am looking to transfer the data on the 3 DVDs to a single bootable usb (doing this on another laptop of course).

Does anyone know how to go about doing this? (including software needed etc). Thanks in advance.

Edit: Direct transfer without burning to windows first would be even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 03:43 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Moving to another device may not work either. If the software is designed for and expecting discs, then having it in another format won't work. I've come across this multiple times over the years, typically when trying to consolidate older media onto newer media (ie: floppies onto a CD, CD's onto a DVD, etc.).

If you are trying to reinstall Windows, then I suggest fixing the DVD drive issue.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

External DVD RW drives are relatively cheap.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

I actually tried to copy the files on the main disc (disc 1) to make a bootable USB and planned to copy files from disc 2 and 3 to individual folders respectively in the usb, with the intention to select those folders if prompted for disc 2 and 3. The USB was able to boot but when it was loading file, the system failed to detect any recovery media/files.

I guess I would just head out and buy a cheap external dvd drive and use it to load the disc and boot instead.

Thanks for the responses anyway.
Closed Thread