Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Freeware for backing up your registry! ERUNTgui

This is a discussion on Freeware for backing up your registry! ERUNTgui within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! here a a freeware I use before messing around in the registry. This software has been around forever! You

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
Troubled

Hi! here a a freeware I use before messing around in the registry. This software has been around forever!
You can down load it from here. No Pup's or bundled unwanted programs.
It also has a feature to defrag your registry. Does anyone here ever defrag their registry?? I have read mixed reviews about that subject.
Download ERUNTgui - MajorGeeks
PS All you members that use reg cleaners and think they are wonderful,will need ERUNT to bail you out!Just so staff knows how I feel; reg cleaners will cause you a lot of grief and IMHO should never be used. I do not recommend them. Stay out of the registry unless you know what your doing is my advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I would not defrag the reg either.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Troubled

There are different opinions on this subject, so I guess you have to decide for yourself.
I defrag and haven't seen where it helps or hurts. I have only seen 15% one time. It's usually less that 3% fragmented.
Quote:
Causes for Registry FragmentationThe registry is one of the most used components of your Windows system because it comprises configuration data of all hardware devices and software programs installed on your PC. Therefore, each and every operation that occurs on your system adds or removes information from the registry. Most of the time, when these entries are no longer required, they are removed from the registry. However, in reality, a lot of information gets left behind causing the registry to bloat up. This registry bloating eventually fragments and damages the registry files.
Registry files also get fragmented due to the accumulation of several empty registry keys within it. These keys are generated when the registry entries that are removed from the registry fail to remove their placeholders. In due course, the number of these empty registry keys increases in the registry and causes registry fragmentation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Leave the registry alone, it can only cause problems messing around in there.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Troubled

I agree that W7 and W8 does a better job with the registry than the old XP and you don't need to clean registry these days. Defraging the registry IMHO is just like defraging your HD however and there are many different opinions. If you don't feel safe doing it, don't do it. If it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto.
Closed Thread