Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

diagnosing an intermittent boot problem

This is a discussion on diagnosing an intermittent boot problem within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. this post centers on an earlier successful self build desktop/tower pc that has recently started to exhibit intermittent non-POST behaviour

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

this post centers on an earlier successful self build desktop/tower pc that has recently started to exhibit intermittent non-POST behaviour on power up.

I'm trying to identify a structured methodology for diagnosing each hardware item of the build and wondered if anyone has such a guide in their back pocket they would be happy to share OR if they know where I might find such a beast.

I've tried the 'usual' fayre of trouble shooting tips on a kinda happen-chance approach and now feel I need something a bit more rigourous, hence this post.

My resources do not stretch to an electronics/IT workshop but I do have an older working machine I built a few years back and was considering doing a piece-by-piece component swap to help narrow down the source of the fault.

If I can find the fault then, IF it's hardware, I can make a warranty claim.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or questions gratefully received.

regards,

yoyojoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

We need to know a bit more like hardware involved age of pc and the best way to troubleshoot this type of situation is check all plugs, look for dust inside tower I.e. hsf plugged etc and knowing age and hardware could help diagnose issues.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 8 fails to boot after most recent update. Intermittent flashing screen.
Hey all. Hope someone can help me. I've searched my way through google and seen a lot of people with this problem but it doesn't seem to have happened to anyone except myself directly after the Feb 13th update for Windows. After I update and shutdown, when trying to boot up the PC again, it...
Jonny1989 Windows 8, 8.1 Support 1 02-17-2013 12:03 PM
HELP...Win 7 boot problem
I have a dual-OS system with one SATA drive running XP and the other running Win 7. I'm no longer using XP and want to install Win 8 on it, but every time I try it fails. I decided to just format the drive and start fresh, but when I attempt to format I received the following... ...
Lungfixer Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 10 01-19-2013 12:34 PM
Need help with strange boot problem
Hello, I'm working on a friends computer with a boot problem I can't figure out. On every hard boot it will not boot windows. It seems to skip the hard drive and move down the rest of the boot order. If there is a disk in the drive it will boot from it, if no disk it then tries to do a network...
rickster70 Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 18 12-18-2011 07:18 AM
Diagnosing Laptop Boot Problem and/or working condition [MOVED FROM ARTICLES]
I recently acquired a couple of old laptops to have refurbished. The gentleman I received them from said that all he did was remove the HDDs. Other than that, these are supposed to be in good working order. What I am looking for is some way to check these laptops out to see if they are worth...
johnmr Laptop Support 2 07-23-2011 10:32 AM
Abit AA8XE - 3rd Eye - Intermittent Cold Boot - Post Code 9.0
Hi, Hope that somebody can assist me with this frustrating issue which continues to perplex my limited computer system knowledge :xolconfus To offer brief background this system was my primary PC until Jan 2010 prior to replacement with a custom built i7 system. Prior to this new setup I was...
pcpilot Motherboards, Bios & CPU 14 01-26-2011 02:44 AM