User Tag List

Copying files query

This is a discussion on Copying files query within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have copied DVD's with videos to my desktop PC. On viewing these video files, I see files SVD, SPB.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have copied DVD's with videos to my desktop PC. On viewing these video files, I see files SVD, SPB. Also VTS_0_0 (2) ....
Can I delete these files. They won't "Play" when clicked on, they just open up in another window, and still do not open.
I just want to keep the original videos to re-name to something more understandable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If they are video DVD's, then there are a bunch of files inside the VIDEO_TS folder that are part of the "video" and you can't remove any of them.

Refer here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

JimE
Thank you for your reply. Given that it is not advisable to delete the files, I am trying to find a way so that anyone can click on a video file, and play it from my desktop. I have renamed a file, and that works, but I just want that one and only file to show, to enable anyone to play it, without being confused by all of the other 'unknown' files that I have indicated to you.
I am grateful that you have understood what I meant in my post, and now I wonder if the necessary files can be hidden, to just show the 'named' video for simple playback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Anyone? Meaning anyone in your immediate family? Or something else?
Old 10-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Confounded Also

Yep! you got it!

Anyone in my family!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #6
Moderator - Hardware

My System

OK. A clarification and a few additional details.

First, all of the files noted above are used by (a standalone) DVD player when playing the disc. There are a few files in that folder that aren't needed and are there for redundancy.

Second, out of that list of files, the VOB files actually contain the video/audio streams. As DVD video uses a standard video type (mpeg2), most any media player can play the files.

Third, the problem with renaming the files is that they then get treated as individual files by the media player. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, a standard 2 hour movie will use 3-7 VOB files. So renaming VTS_01_1.VOB to movie.mpg, for example, will only play that one file and very likely only be part of the movie.

It's best practice to NOT place files on the desktop. Put the files into a folder (the standard video, pictures, audio folders work great for this) and create a shortcut on the desktop. Everything on the desktop gets indexed every time the OS loads and then uses memory/resources to maintain and can/will bog down the PC.

Also, if you simply want a video file for playback on the PC, convert the DVD files to another format. You will then end up with a single file of the movie which will very likely be smaller and save some HDD space. I use VidCoder to convert to mkv.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

JimE
Many, many thanks for your very technical explanations. Regarding NOT placing files on the desktop. What I have done ( probably erroneously), is to create a New folder on the desktop, then copy files to that. If I copy the DVD videos to something like VCL, would that be the better route to take?
I am still studying your advice...
John
Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Anything on the desktop, single files or folders, all have the same effect.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in regards to "VCL".

Old 10-06-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
Registered Member

JimE
Sorry - Meant VLC not VCL!
VLC is a media player.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #10
Moderator - Hardware

My System

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. And yes, I have used VLC. But as you noted, it's a media player, you can't "copy files" to it. It opens and plays existing files, it doesn't store them.

You simply need to find a common place to store the files (such as the Video library) and then any media player (such as VLC), can be used to play them.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
Registered Member

JimE
Thanks, I have done all that you recommend, and the result is fine. When I created the Video Library, the video files that were in a desktop folder tranferred automaticaly to that!
So, thank you for all of your generous time and knowledge.
John
Old 10-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Great work guys, why not mark this solved in the first post under "Thread Tools" in the first post megaman.
Putting files into a folder in Documents as suggested and then instead creating a shortcut to them from the desktop is so important in speeding up bootup as the less on the desktop the faster the system will boot.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:00 AM   #13
Registered Member

Rich-M
"Thread Tools" - checked it and it appears to be marked "Solved"?
Where do I post 'my system'?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Top left hand side "user cp" "Settings and Options" "Edit Options" scroll down and you will see it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:40 AM   #15
Registered Member

Rich-M
Done that and thank you for your help!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Glad to help!

Closed Thread