User Tag List

Computer wont Start

This is a discussion on Computer wont Start within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My pc is 1year old. never really had issue with it, until this week the pc wont turn on,

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, My pc is 1year old. never really had issue with it, until this week the pc wont turn on, unless i unplug every usb cable, shutoff the power switch for at least 2minutes and it does seems to help if i remove the rear panel.
the thing is. it will only do this if it havent run un the last 6h or so. and
shorting the switch pins does not work either
Nothing seems to interfer with the rear panel. everything is plugged in fine
the motherboard battery as been replaced.

i cant figure it out and i want to throw this pc out of the windows.
Motherboard is an Gigabyte x99 gaming 5
Intel i7-5930k
32gb geil evo pontenza
2x r9 290x Powercolor
2 WD black drive
1 curcial ssd

Thank you, Alex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Make, model, and wattage of your power supply. If you have to unplug all USB connections, The power supply could be under powered, and or failing.

Also make sure the case isn't full of dust, could be overheating, since it will run with the case opened up.

Here's a link to the power consumption on your Graphics Card
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...S_Plus/21.html

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

My power supply is an Enermax 1500w 80+ gold.
And its not overheating under load its stays at 42c since motherboard. Gpus and cpu are all watercooled.
Nd for the dust theres a bit hut jothing the create an issue im totally sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Power on problems are typically the power supply or motherboard.

Disconnecting the USB devices would also seem to indicate a motherboard or power issue. Although the power supply doesn't directly supply power to USB ports. The power supply supplies power to the motherboard and the motherboard has it's own circuitry to power USB. USB power issues are typically a motherboard fault.

As to the power supply itself, Enermax quality varies by model. And aside from ensuring a specific model provides enough power for your hardware, the size rating is meaningless. You need a quality unit period. Using a high output or higher output than necessary power supply is not a replacement for quality. I don't know the specifics of your model, but you can reference here: PSU tier list 2.0 - Components - Tom's Hardware

I will also add, that the two times that I've had a power supply issue that could repeatedly be resolved by using the on/off switch of the power supply, the power supply was faulty.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Registered Member

ya, thats my thought.
Its a Enermax Platimax. its in Tier 2.
Also sometimes things plugged in usb power on with the cumporter off.
Like yesterday i woke up and my keyboard was on, but the PC off.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

That model is made by Enermax and they make an excellent Psu but how old is it?
And any thing good or bad can fail and it surely is a bad Psu.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

As others have stated, the issue could be power supply related indeed. Do this, take off most of the USB devices connected to your computer except the mouse and keyboard. Turn on the computer and see if the computer turns on.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Depending on the motherboard and the BIOS config, USB ports often have power when the system is off. I charge my phone all the time when the PC is powered off.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
An Awesome Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver
The power supply could be under powered, and or failing.

Also make sure the case isn't full of dust, could be overheating, since it will run with the case opened up.
Yea Im having this issue also........ Wont turn on... I turn the power strup off/on and computer comes on for a split second then goes off...... Took me 20 mins today to get it going..... (I just keep turning power to computer ON and OFF and eventually it starts)

Diablalex: Try changing your BIOS battery,it may be the answer as strange as it sounds...I changed mine but sadly thats not MY issue as its still happening.... (I read it could be so I tried)

Good luck!
Closed Thread