Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software

User Tag List

Computer That wont Shut Off

This is a discussion on Computer That wont Shut Off within the Diagnostics, Utilities and Other Software forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey! First of all Sorry for any english mistake my native language is french. So Its been a week that

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey! First of all Sorry for any english mistake my native language is french.

So Its been a week that my computer wont shut off unless i press the front panel bouton myself. What happen is if press the windows ShutDown bouton it does shutdown, Screen goes black, Mouse and Keyboard shutoff, but Pumps, Fans, Leds, HDDS everything is still ''on'' and will never shutdown unless i press the bouton myself. Its a bit anoying. I'd like some help to find this problem because my computer Knowlage is not good enough to troubleshoot this by my self (and i dont even know what to google to find this...)

Thanks You! Alex.

Windows 10 Pro version 1607
Motherboard Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5
32Gb Ram (4x8)
Intel i7-5390k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Let's try making some changes. Disable fast start-up as described here ttp://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html and see if it changes anything. If it doesn't, boot into safe mode and shutdown from there. If there's still no change, try restoring the system to a date before the onset of this behavior. If no change, boot from a live CD such as Ubuntu, then shutdown. Report back the results of these changes and tests.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

fast start up is already disable.
System restore didnt correct the problem
and for the Live cd now i kinda have an issue, ill work on that one how to get it. because i dont have any CD reader. I guess USB would be good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablalex View Post
fast start up is already disable.
System restore didnt correct the problem
and for the Live cd now i kinda have an issue, ill work on that one how to get it. because i dont have any CD reader. I guess USB would be good?
Yes, a USB drive will do just fine, all you need is an iso disc image of a Linux distro like Ubuntu and burn it to the usb disk. You can use Rufus to burn the iso to usb (create bootable usb drive) from which you can run the live Linux OS.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hi diablalex

It could be 1 of 2 things, either a BIOS-setting or a Win-10 setting needs changing.

BIOS - From the 'Power-Management' tab, check that the 'ErP' is set to consume NO power on shutdown - The manual isn't very clear as to which of the settings does what, so it might be 'trial-and-error' to find it.

Windows 10 - Right-click on the 'Start' button and select 'Power Options' from the menu, then from the next window select 'Choose what the power buttons do' from the left-hand side. The next window should show an entry for 'When I press The Power Button', it should be set to 'Shut down' so if it isn't, select that from the drop-down menu for both battery and plugged-in sections.

Finally, OK everything back to the desktop, cross your fingers and test it

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 10-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Registered Member

Alright.
ErP was already disabled
And Win10 setting are also correct for Shutdown.

Kinda lost ...
Old 10-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Aaah OK, 'twas just a possibility - Have you tried Stancestans suggestion with a live Linux distro above?

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Closed Thread