Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Which email-hosts most compatible my preferences?

This is a discussion on Which email-hosts most compatible my preferences? within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Originally Posted by Stancestans Let's say, for example, you shared an email address with a member you've befriended here. How

Like Tree11Likes
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 AM   #21
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Let's say, for example, you shared an email address with a member you've befriended here. How would they tell if the email address you gave them is your "virtual" or "real" contact?
Yes, I realized about that. That wasn't what I was saying. I meant to keep everything separate due to potential privacy infringement by Yahoo employees. Thus long ago I created separate accounts (ha ha, as if they can't figure it out anyway).

Quote:
If you choose the alias route, i.e, both your real-life and virtual-life addresses are aliases of one Outlook.com (Microsoft) account, ...................................... Emails sent to both your real-life and virtual-life addresses (aliases) will all be delivered to the one Outlook.com account.
Yeah, I sorta realized that. Thing is, I believe you misunderstood.

I'll rephrase by offering phony addresses as examples:
So lets say I set up aliases within outlook.com.
So my question had meant as follows:
How would I set up outlook.com to import my:
Quote:
On the other hand, if you go with two separate accounts route, you will have to configure MS Outlook twice, once for each account, and you'll have two accounts listed.
Oh,...I didn't know that.

Quote:
Impose??? No! Outlook.com (Microsoft account) does support two-step verification via real-life phone number IF you turn it ON (you should anyway). Your internet accounts should be as secure as possible, no matter what you're using them for ("real" or "virtual"). If anything, the accounts you use for your virtual life should be highly secure considering you're using them on a public domain (internet). You make it seem like two-step verification via a phone number that actually belongs to you is a bad thing, which makes me wonder what your motive is with the so called "virtual-life" account. One might even think you're up to no good. It's like you're worried about your phone number getting associated with your email account, even if it's just for further securing that account and not for display in your public profile.
It's nothing to do with that. You don't need to be a criminal to want privacy. For example, people with pain require opioids. It doesn't mean they're druggies. (see attached) So just because anti-opioids is majority opinion due to negative publicity, doesn't mean it's true. But why would people in a minority - with differing experiences - want their RL data associated with opinions they may air in email? There are legitimate reasons for people wishing to not give out real names (does Outlook make it simple to turn OFF the option?) That doesn't mean I don't realize that it's an exercise in futility, but as much as possible, I'd prefer it that way.

Quote:
Does it really matter which method is used mostly? Whichever method of access is more or less popular shouldn't form your decision. It all comes down to how you prefer it. Here are the only statistics I could find https://www.adestra.com/resources/top-10-email-clients/

Before I owned a personal computer, and later on a smartphone, the only other way of accessing email was via a web browser in a cyber cafe! In a cyber cafe environment, webmail was the only practical way. Back then Yahoo was the shizzle, followed by Hotmail! My second Nokia feature phone did have gprs (edge) internet connectivity and had an email client that worked wonderfully with my Yahoo account! While most people still flocked into cyber cafes at least once in two days just to check their emails and to chat on Yahoo Messenger..., my tiny phone sufficed just fine. It's not as if they didn't have internet-enabled phones with email and im clients, some of them just din't know that they could have easy and quick access to their mailboxes right from their mobiles. Don't forget that going to a cyber cafe meant commuting to town for that very valuable service! How things have changed! Some only needed enlightenment, others simply preferred reading their emails on the larger computer screens. When I owned my first personal computer in college and could use my phone as a usb (dial-up) internet modem, I started using a desktop email client instead of a browser to access my mailbox, and I've never looked back since. Of course there are occasions that I need to access the web interface for routine account management and organization, but not for regular, everyday access. I find desktop email clients to be faster than webmail access, especially with Yahoo Mail! I also find it to be an unnecessary hassle logging into webmail vs simply restoring the minimized window of a desktop client that is always synchronizing in the background and already has the the most recent email waiting to be read, or manually synchronizing them with a single click. To this day, there is an odd friend who would rather log into their webmail account via a browser on their smartphone while they could simply configure the email client that is already installed on their phone out-of-box!
I see - thanks for the info!

Quote:
You don't need external storage for use with a desktop email client. Your computer already has massive internal storage, plus, in MS Outlook, you don't have to keep ALL of your emails downloaded and stored on local disk, you can have it download headers only (email metadata) and only download the rest of the message content (e.g images and attachments) when you've opened it. This is especially useful with slow connections and limited disk space. Flash disks are way more expensive than hard disk drives (internal or external) in terms of capacity per price, and are also less reliable (high failure rates) than hard disk drives. Let's say you have 3000 emails in your inbox, dating back 5 years, and half of those have 50MB attachments (highly unlikely), then you'd need ~73GB storage space to store those attachments on your computer. If we double the number of emails, you'd still only need ~146GB storage space. Going even higher, the storage requirements are still no match for what hard disk capacities of today have to offer. Did you somehow get the impression that you need external storage for use with a desktop email client?
I just checked (the only place I could find the info was via HDtune) - and in the Info section of HDtune, it stated I've approx. 55202 MB Free on C:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	321110  
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #22
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Yes, I realized about that. That wasn't what I was saying. I meant to keep everything separate due to potential privacy infringement by Yahoo employees. Thus long ago I created separate accounts (ha ha, as if they can't figure it out anyway).
I see. So, in other words, the concern here is that if you opt for one account with aliases, you kinda have all your eggs (virtual & real) in one basket, and if the one account was intruded, then the violator would have express access to everything. Did I get that right? If so, then separate accounts are the better option, so that if your virtual one got infringed upon, the other one (real) would not be automatically intruded as well.

Quote:
Yeah, I sorta realized that. Thing is, I believe you misunderstood.

I'll rephrase by offering phony addresses as examples:
So lets say I set up aliases within outlook.com.
So my question had meant as follows:
How would I set up outlook.com to import my:
You would go to your Outlook.com account settings and then add the [email protected] and the [email protected] They are referred to as Connected accounts in Outlook.com. Their mailboxes will be imported into Outlook.com, and any new ones that get delivered will also be imported. Outlook.com will function like an email client that you use to access the emails in the two Yahoo accounts (via POP or IMAP). The process of adding the connected accounts also includes setting up outgoing (outbox) parameters, so that when you send an email from Outlook.com, it would appear as though you had sent it from the Yahoo accounts. In fact, they will be sent via the Yahoo accounts, and the recipients won't even know that you sent them from Outlook.com because the Yahoo addresses will be the one's shown in the From field, and it is the Yahoo outgoing mail servers that will handle the process.

Quote:
I just checked (the only place I could find the info was via HDtune) - and in the Info section of HDtune, it stated I've approx. 55202 MB Free on C:
You can right-click the disk drives in My Computer, select Properties and it will show you space usage information for that drive.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #23
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
You would go to your Outlook.com account settings and then add the [email protected] and the [email protected] They are referred to as Connected accounts in Outlook.com. Their mailboxes will be imported into Outlook.com, and any new ones that get delivered will also be imported. Outlook.com will function like an email client that you use to access the emails in the two Yahoo accounts (via POP or IMAP). The process of adding the connected accounts also includes setting up outgoing (outbox) parameters, so that when you send an email from Outlook.com, it would appear as though you had sent it from the Yahoo accounts. In fact, they will be sent via the Yahoo accounts, and the recipients won't even know that you sent them from Outlook.com because the Yahoo addresses will be the one's shown in the From field, and it is the Yahoo outgoing mail servers that will handle the process.
The whole idea was that i wanted to get completely divorced from Yahoo, because at a certain point they're sharing everyone with their associated partners. So there's no way i'd want emails to get shuffled back out via Yahoo!
But aside from that, who'd want it anyway? If i'm in outlook, i'd want the mails to display as being from outlook. Of course, I don't mind if the aliases "reality" & "virtual" remain the same as before.

This whole biz. sounds very complicated. All i wanted is that my yahoo-inbox mail gets imported into the outlook-inbox mailbox, and that my yahoo-outbox mail gets imported into the outlook-outbox mailbox, and that my filtered folders' mail get put into same-named folders on outlook.

Can't it be as simple as that? Can it be that way if i do NOT set up aliases?

Quote:
You can right-click the disk drives in My Computer, select Properties and it will show you space usage information for that drive.
Oh yeah, thanks, i'd forgotten that. The more intuitive way would have been for them to put it in Device Manager. Which is why i always forget.
By the same token, PaleMoon fails to intuitively let you drag the JS toggle icon to the toolbar, rather toggling is inconveniently nested via Tools>>Add-Ons etc.
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #24
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
The whole idea was that i wanted to get completely divorced from Yahoo, because at a certain point they're sharing everyone with their associated partners. So there's no way i'd want emails to get shuffled back out via Yahoo!
In that case then you would add the Yahoo accounts as described earlier. Outlook.com won't be able to import emails from your Yahoo accounts without connecting to them first. That should be simple to understand. Since it's going to import ALL your Yahoo emails (including folders), it will take some time to complete because it's literally downloading everything from the Yahoo mailboxes. I'd recommend 24 hours minimum, to let it finish the import, and once it's done, you can disconnect from the Yahoo accounts, i.e, remove them from the Connected accounts section of Outlook.com. From that point onwards you can close your Yahoo accounts if you want.

Quote:
But aside from that, who'd want it anyway? If i'm in outlook, i'd want the mails to display as being from outlook. Of course, I don't mind if the aliases "reality" & "virtual" remain the same as before.
This whole biz. sounds very complicated. All i wanted is that my yahoo-inbox mail gets imported into the outlook-inbox mailbox, and that my yahoo-outbox mail gets imported into the outlook-outbox mailbox, and that my filtered folders' mail get put into same-named folders on outlook.
It is not complicated. Again, as I said before, your Yahoo mailboxes will be imported into Outlook.com in their entirety, including folders. That's the whole point of migrating from one service to another. Once you're divorced from yahoo, you can't keep your yahoo addresses, so that means updating your contacts and subscriptions with your new Outlook.com addresses, otherwise they will continue to send emails to your yahoo accounts which you wish to abandon altogether.

Quote:
Can't it be as simple as that? Can it be that way if i do NOT set up aliases?
It is that simple, and you don't have to use aliases for that. In a nutshell:
-connect each account to the corresponding Yahoo account to import your mails (all of them including folders)
-disconnect from the yahoo accounts once the import is complete

-use Outlook.com hereon moving forward

-close your yahoo accounts

As for Palemoon, I'm not familiar with it, so I have no idea how you would customize its toolbar, but you can always Google it or refer to its manual or help.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #25
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
In that case then you would add the Yahoo accounts as described earlier.
By that, you mean 2 separate accounts? No aliases?

Quote:
Once you're divorced from yahoo, you can't keep your yahoo addresses, so that means updating your contacts and subscriptions with your new Outlook.com addresses, otherwise they will continue to send emails to your yahoo accounts which you wish to abandon altogether.
Once i close my 2 yahoo accounts (which i've yet to figure out how)...
...so once they're closed, assume one of my contacts sends me email.
...may i then assume the sender will get a mailer daemon? In other words, yahoo won't re-open my account by dint of a sender sending me email?

Quote:
It is that simple, and you don't have to use aliases for that. In a nutshell:
-connect each account to the corresponding Yahoo account to import your mails (all of them including folders)
-disconnect from the yahoo accounts once the import is complete
-use Outlook.com hereon moving forward
-close your yahoo accounts
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #26
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
By that, you mean 2 separate accounts? No aliases?
Yes, 2 separate Outlook.com accounts, one for real and the other for virtual. No aliases.

Quote:
Once i close my 2 yahoo accounts (which i've yet to figure out how)...
...so once they're closed, assume one of my contacts sends me email.
...may i then assume the sender will get a mailer daemon? In other words, yahoo won't re-open my account by dint of a sender sending me email?
Correct.

Quote:
Minni likes this.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #27
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Yes, 2 separate Outlook.com accounts, one for real and the other for virtual. No aliases.
Correct.

OK - thanks a million! So that i guess wraps things up (at least for now, since i'm postponing this while being busy transitioning laptops,and trying to find another suitable one, which should take forever, squeezed into other stuff in my life