Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Transfer of Old XP Emails to Win 10 Thunderbird

This is a discussion on Transfer of Old XP Emails to Win 10 Thunderbird within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The only way I can transfer my old XP Thunderbird emails including OE imports to my new Win 10 Thunderbird

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

The only way I can transfer my old XP Thunderbird emails including OE imports
to my new Win 10 Thunderbird is by Flash Drive. Synchronising stopped long ago.

I have already transferred a lot of data and am familiar with Flash Drive techniques.

It is exactly what file to copy, how to precisely locate it on the XP Thunderbird and where to exactly place it on the Win 10 Thunderbird that puzzles me.

I just want the email files, Inbox, Sent, Drafts and Delete, not any other data.

I have already copied the old address book over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...a-new-computer

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:01 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Thanks, that seems to be on the ball, but kicks the ball out of play at point 14 which says "When prompted, choose to replace your current data."

I don't want to replace anything, I want to add this old mail stuff, rather like in an archive section for reference only.

Similar to the old Thunderbird that imported other mail and listed it down the L/H column as Imports in yellow folders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you backup your old Thunderbird profile, you'll save everything. It's a hidden file. https://www.lifewire.com/back-up-thu...ttings-1173141

Old 01-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
If you backup your old Thunderbird profile, you'll save everything. It's a hidden file. https://www.lifewire.com/back-up-thu...ttings-1173141
That looks attractive Corday, sounds just what I need. I don't think I can do better than that.

Very grateful - I will study it and see how it goes.
thank you.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

@Corday
That is a really interesting set of links you gave me and look very promising.

Preliminary Question ?
Say profile A is my Win 10 Thunderbird and profile B my old XP Thunderbird.
Copying profile B is no problem using a flash drive. But what do I then do with it ?

I cannot transfer profile B data to profile A, it would overwrite my existing Win 10 emails.
Creating a second profile folder say B in my Win 10 Thunderbird, means it would then have two profiles - A and B.

I cannot understand how my Win 10 would then read two profiles and still leave my current emails and Address Book untouched.
My gut feel is a malfunction due to program confusion, which I cannot risk.

What are your thoughts on this ?
Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

People usually do the transfer prior to using the new computer so nothing has been amassed. You'll have to explain what your intentions are with the old computer so we can sort this out.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:01 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadoo View Post
@Corday
That is a really interesting set of links you gave me and look very promising.

Preliminary Question ?
Say profile A is my Win 10 Thunderbird and profile B my old XP Thunderbird.
Copying profile B is no problem using a flash drive. But what do I then do with it ?

I cannot transfer profile B data to profile A, it would overwrite my existing Win 10 emails.
Creating a second profile folder say B in my Win 10 Thunderbird, means it would then have two profiles - A and B.

I cannot understand how my Win 10 would then read two profiles and still leave my current emails and Address Book untouched.
My gut feel is a malfunction due to program confusion, which I cannot risk.

What are your thoughts on this ?
Using multiple profiles seems like the sensible thing to do to keep the existing (Windows 10) profile data separate from the imported data (Windows XP). Thunderbird is very much capable of handling multiple profiles and instances just fine. It is you the user who might get confused by the multiple instances using separate profiles, not Thunderbird. Each profile resides in its own folder. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...rofile-manager and https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/qu...answer-1080500

Start the Profile Manager using the -p switch and create a new profile for the XP data. Add the -no-remote switch to launch a second instance of Thunderbird that uses the new profile. These functionalities have been available for a long time and are very handy. My Firefox and Thunderbird desktop shortcuts have both the -p and -no-remote switches added to them so that I can run multiple instances and load different profiles concurrently. It has always worked for me.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
People usually do the transfer prior to using the new computer so nothing has been amassed. You'll have to explain what your intentions are with the old computer so we can sort this out.
My old XP computer has been stripped of all the data I needexcept these XP Thunderbird emails. Once I have successfully transferred them to my Win 10 Thunderbird as a separate profile, the old XP will no longer be used and will eventually be dumped.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I can't recommend a particular third party export program since I always just transferred the whole profile immediately on installing the new computer. If you scroll down to Mail in this link: Transferring data to a new profile - Thunderbird - MozillaZine Knowledge Base you'll get an idea. Any of the old methods seem to no longer work on the current TBird.

EDIT: I'm sorry but to get to that page you'll have to go through Index page ? mozillaZine Forums directly. Better yet, just ask the question there.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

So far it seems OK, is this correct -

Create a second profile for my XP Thunderbird mails etc - say PROFILE XP.
Download my XP profile from my Flash Drive onto this new profile.
Name the Win 10 profile as default.
My Win 10 Thunderbird will operate as normal.

?? Not sure how to switch from one to the other.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I think this add-on (on your new computer) will accomplish the merge: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US...rtexporttools/

Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
I think this add-on (on your new computer) will accomplish the merge: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US...rtexporttools/
Thanks again Corday.

I have downloaded the addon you mention in readiness for my transfer, but when I clicked it to install it, a page of gobble-de-gook came up.

See -
Old 01-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Either change Thunderbird back to V60 or earlier or wait till app is ready for current 60.4 version. If it works, update TBird back to 60.4. Make sure you chose install.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
So far it seems OK, is this correct -

Create a second profile for my XP Thunderbird mails etc - say PROFILE XP.
Download my XP profile from my Flash Drive onto this new profile.
Name the Win 10 profile as default.
My Win 10 Thunderbird will operate as normal.

?? Not sure how to switch from one to the other.
The Win 10 Thunderbird default profile is already named default, so no need to rename it, unless you're giving it a different name. To switch from one profile to another, use the Profile Manager as described in the article I linked to earlier. Have you even looked at those links? The Profile Manager lets you select which profile you want to load when starting an instance of Thunderbird. That's how you switch from one profile to another, as well as managing the profiles.

Quote:
I have downloaded the addon you mention in readiness for my transfer, but when I clicked it to install it, a page of gobble-de-gook came up.

See -
The add-on shouldn't open in Notepad! You must have done something wrong. It seems you chose the option to open the downloaded file in Notepad instead of saving the file. To install the add-on, open Thunderbird and go to the Tools menu then click on Add-ons. At the top-right section of the Add-ons Manager window, type importexporttools in the search-box and press Enter. In the new tab that opens, click the button labelled Add to Thunderbird. It should be straightforward from there onwards.

Quote:
Either change Thunderbird back to V60 or earlier or wait till app is ready for current 60.4 version. If it works, update TBird back to 60.4. Make sure you chose install.
I can confirm that the add-on works on Thunderbird 60.4.0 just fine. I have tested it on two profiles. On the first profile, I installed it via Tools > Add-ons. The second profile was a clone of the first profile, created using the add-on by exporting and importing.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:02 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

@Stancestans

Thank you for all that help.
I have now got the addon firmly added to Thunderbird, but I don't see how to switch profiles from the menu list it gives

The panels are show below -
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
@Stancestans

Thank you for all that help.
I have now got the addon firmly added to Thunderbird, but I don't see how to switch profiles from the menu list it gives

The panels are show below -
Switching profiles is NOT the function of that add-on. That add-on is for exporting and importing data. To switch between profiles, you use the Profile Manager, which is launched using the -p switch, as described here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...rofile-manager

Maybe Corday has more information about how you can go about using the add-on to merge the messages and folders from the XP machine into the Win 10 profile. That approach is different from what I had in mind. My approach involves using two separate profiles, instead of merging data from the old profile with the new profile. If you haven't already, copy the Thunderbird data from the flash drive to a location on the Win 10 machine so that the flash drive copy is NOT the only copy you have, in case something goes wrong. You should also backup the Win 10 Thunderbird profile in its current state just in case. You can do so using the Export profile option of the add-on that you just installed. It will copy the current profile's folder in its entirety to a location of your choosing, for example a new folder on the desktop. Do not rely solely on the flash disk to hold the only copy or backup of data that you wish to safeguard.

What kind of files did you copy from the Win XP Thunderbird installation? Is it a single mbox file, is it large number of eml files? Is it the profile's folder in its entirety? We need to know so that we can suggest which option to use with the add-on.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

@Stancestans
I have not done a transfer yet, pending the outcome of these discussions.

I copied the entire profile from XP, since it covers both the Thunderbird emails and my OE emails that were imported by Thunderbird XP.

I have created a shortcut on my desktop for the Profile Manager. It works well in switching profiles between the normal default profile and my newly created XP profile folder awaiting Flash Drive download.

As I am dealing with a "dummy" profile, why do I need a backup of my normal profile ? There should be no interaction between profiles.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

As Stancestans indicated, the program is to transfer your mail to the new computer since Thunderbird doesn't have an export option.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
@Stancestans
I have not done a transfer yet, pending the outcome of these discussions.
You should because flash disks have a habit of failing without warning. ALL it takes is unplugging it from one machine and plugging it back into the same machine or another one. They can die in a flash, no pun intended, and when that happens, nothing can recover whatever data they contained. You have been warned. I strongly recommend you copy the data on the flash disk to a location on the PC, and work with the copy on the PC henceforth. You've been fairly warned, so it's really up to you.

Quote:
I copied the entire profile from XP, since it covers both the Thunderbird emails and my OE emails that were imported by Thunderbird XP.
In that case, you can try the Import profile option of the add-on. Proceed as follows:
1. Close existing Thunderbird windows
2. Launch the Profile Manager and load whichever profile that has the add-on installed, then select the option Import profile.
3. The ImportExportTools - Profile import dialog will open, prompting for the location/path of the profile that you wish to import. It expects a folder, so point it to the profile folder that you copied from XP Thunderbird.
4. Enter a name for the profile that will be imported. This is the name that will appear in the Profile Manager, and can be changed at any time. Since you've already created a new profile, don't use the same name. Provide a different profile name to avoid mishaps. You can call it XP_Emails, for example. When the Profile Manager opens, you should see the newly imported profile. Load it and see if the import was successful by checking if it contains the expected data.

Quote:
As I am dealing with a "dummy" profile, why do I need a backup of my normal profile ? There should be no interaction between profiles.
There is no interaction between profiles, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious. This is optional. I strongly recommend it IF you choose to merge the old and new profiles, i.e import messages from the old profile to the current default profile.
Closed Thread