Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

TBird issue

This is a discussion on TBird issue within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Thrunderbird ver 52.2.1 (32bit) has been working fine since I set it up. You all may remember my confusion here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Thrunderbird ver 52.2.1 (32bit) has been working fine since I set it up. You all may remember my confusion here. :) anyway this afternoon out of no where it asked me for my password to send an email. It still receives no problem but it won't send unless I enter the password.
All settings are correct as far as I can tell by the Tbird site for my provider. As I recall it there is an automatic setup for Comcast.
I ran update and scanned with Spybot and immunized. I then updated and scanned with Comodo. I fixed all the things Spybot found and Comodo found nothing. I restarted.
I attempted a couple test emails again, same result. I gave in and entered the password and my email sent. I tried a test again to see if it was fixed and it asked me for the password again.

What is going on? Searching results make it seem this is a common sort of event as far back as 11 years ago. I found no solution that is not covered in what I mentioned doing above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried the solution here?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1116041

"In Thunderbird, click Tools, Account Settings, and in left pane, click "Outgoing Server"
Click Edit.
Under "Security and Authentication" DESELECT "Use name and password"
Click OK and again OK."
Old 08-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks Owain but that "solution" isn't even possible as the option mentioned "deselect username and password" does not exist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Whoever your Email provider is, stay signed in.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Why would I do that Corday?
It was never necessary before and the client retrieves incoming email no problem. It is only sending that has changed for reasons I do not know.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Are you using the password manager? Review this: https://www.greennet.org.uk/support/...il-mac-windows
I know it's not yours but it might point out something you forgot.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Yes those are my settings.
I tried one of the solutions on the mozilla site- delete password then enter it again when Tbird restarts and requests it. Did it and now it asks for the password to get email on my primary account and even though I reset it as the default it tries to use the secondary account as the sender when I try to send. I restarted the computer and went outside to do some stuff. I came back to your message.
I wrote that and tried it just to be sure and it sent the message on my primary account when I entered the password. I did it a second time to see if it had taken and it has. It just sent the email without asking me for the password.

I have no idea what may have caused the problem but apparently the fix was change the password in Tbird (not at the server) then the part they don't tell you restart the computer. If you wanted to you could change it at the server and in Tbird.

Thank you Corday. Have a wonderful day.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I am unable to mark the thread solved even with all scripts allowed.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

OK. I did it for you.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

I should have added that you have to select the box to choose password manager when Tbird asks for the password otherwise it will ask again when it is closed and reopened. you will know if you have saved it properly if you select Tools, options, Security and teh passwords tab then choose "saved passwords" and a new window will open showing what accounts have been saved into Tbirds password manager.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Tbird is once again asking me for my password to send. So at best this was a temporary fix for me. Sending one test email with maybe 8 letters in it got me a "you message exceeds a temporary size limit on the server." message. Sent items indicate it sent but it was never received. I forwarded it and the fwd did get received. Weird stuff going on.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I think the message means your ISP is having a problem. As far as your computer, you are on a stand alone unit, right?

Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Yes it is a laptop, new April 2017, windows 10.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Run Thunderbird in its own Safe Mode (not the Windows Safe Mode). If the problems go away, we can find the culprit.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

It is working right now. So it seems that it is only asking for the password when I try to send the first email after Tbird has been opened.
I did the safe mode to no avail before I ever posted here on the 12th. It was one of the options on the Mozilla site.
Closed Thread