Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Sync tbird email address?

This is a discussion on Sync tbird email address? within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I am using Thunderbird 68.4.2 (64-bit) as email client on my LAN. Does anyone have a suggestion of

Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lucidoobe

Hi All,

I am using Thunderbird 68.4.2 (64-bit) as email client on my LAN.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a program that will synch the email addresses on all the PC's on the LAN using TBird?
lucidoobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

If you are using IMAP access to get your e-mail, this will happen automatically if you set up the same e-mail account on multiple devices.

Most e-mail service providers have IMAP access, and Thunderbird will use IMAP if the provider has it and you allow Thunderbird to do automatic setup.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well, I set up each email client to look at the same IMAP provider. I don't remember seeing or reading that the email addresses (apart from webmail) on TBird being synched. I will see 2 x devices and compare?
Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Wikipedia: IMAP
Quote:
... IMAP was designed with the goal of permitting complete management of an email box by multiple email clients, therefore clients generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them.
E-mail clients using IMAP generally leave messages on the server until the user explicitly deletes them. This and other characteristics of IMAP operation allow multiple clients to manage the same mailbox.
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

So I guess using multiple devices using their email client Thunderbird will never work for address synch? What would happen if I loaded all of them onto the webmail client server?
Old Today, 05:20 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I'm afraid all the other respondents did not fully understand what you're asking. While IMAP will give ALL of your configured clients access to the same mailbox, it will not do so for the addresses/contacts as well. Each Tbird installation/profile has a separate address book that is maintained independently and not linked in any way to the address books of other Tbird installations/profiles. Your desire is to have the address books of all Tbird installations/profiles on your LAN kept in sync, not the messages. IMAP is already taking care of synching the messages on all clients.

There are several approaches you can take to achieve this. Perhaps the easiest approach is to move and store a single Tbird profile on a network shared location and then load this profile on the Tbird installations on your LAN. This approach has some caveats, of course, and perhaps the main one is that ONLY ONE Tbird client will be able to load and use the profile at any given time. You cannot have multiple Tbird instances simultaneously accessing or using a single profile. This works really well if you run just one Tbird client on the network at any given time. If you do not have a network storage device such as a NAS or HDD attached to a router, then you'll have to use one of your LAN computers to share (host) the Tbird profile folder with the other computers. This means the host must be running at the time you wish to use another computer to load the network-shared Tbird profile.

Another approach is to sync the Tbird address book with a cloud service like Google Contacts. For this, you must install a Tbird add-on and you will also need a Google account.

There are other approaches too, but I'd rather not go through them all here when you can do the same via a simple Google search for " sync thunderbird address book"
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote

« Filter settings | - »