Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Secure Email services help

This is a discussion on Secure Email services help within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am looking at using a secure free email service. Is there such a service out there that you

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bassfisher6522
  • 1 Post By Confounded Also
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am looking at using a secure free email service. Is there such a service out there that you may recommend. I currently have yahoo, and gmail.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

There was one back in the day but the govt. forced it to shut down because they (the govt.) wanted access to the code for spying. It was called lavabit. Have a read here and there are more links to what happened.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...edward-snowden

As for your question; no not really. But...Lavabit has reinvented itself (DIME) with the same sucre encryption but at a cost. So you be the judge.
https://lavabit.com/index.html
Steve40th likes this.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I feel your pain though Gmail is a bit more secure than Yahoo and Outlook.com (Hotmail grew into Live Mail and then became....) I believe is safer than the other two but my biggest problem with all 3 of them is no telephone number. If you get hacked you are done for because of that so while I have Hotmail and Gmail accounts I never put anything important on any of them and this DIME looks good to me for $30 a year for 5 gb and $60 for 20.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
There was one back in the day but the govt. forced it to shut down because they (the govt.) wanted access to the code for spying. It was called lavabit. Have a read here and there are more links to what happened.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...edward-snowden

As for your question; no not really. But...Lavabit has reinvented itself (DIME) with the same sucre encryption but at a cost. So you be the judge.
https://lavabit.com/index.html
As long as the email can be sent to and from anyone, lavabit/DIME seems worth it..
Old 07-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
I feel your pain though Gmail is a bit more secure than Yahoo and Outlook.com ...

I don't trust G-anything as far as I can throw a Sherman tank. Their entire business model is collecting and selling in formation.

Might want to look into Proton Mail based in Switzerland. Encrypted email is free for basic accounts with paid upgrades available.
Steve40th likes this.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

I just started a Proton email account. Seems to be simple and efficient.
Now, to figure out how I want this email to utilized, ie banking, medical etc etc.
Make it as private as possible for potential sensitive information.
In other words, no forums, facebook etc.
Closed Thread