Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Outlook 365 - Gmail Issues - OST to PST

This is a discussion on Outlook 365 - Gmail Issues - OST to PST within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi: I just bought a new computer running Windows 10 and Outlook 365. My old computer was Windows 7 and

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tristar
Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi: I just bought a new computer running Windows 10 and Outlook 365. My old computer was Windows 7 and had Outlook 2007. I have 3 separate email accounts. I copied the .pst files from the old computer to the new one. 2 of files I converted over just fine. The issue is my Gmail account.

I was using IMAP and didn't realize that files were in a .ost file. Going forward I wanted to have them in a .pst file so I have them on my computer. I did have an older .pst gmail folder so I set up the new gmail account as a POP account using the old gmail .pst folder.

It's weird, I get new gmail emails on my IPhone. When I send an email from GMAIL it works fine it shows up in my sent items in Outlook on my PC. But, I don't get any new emails though in my gmail account on my PC. Whenever an email comes in I get a little pop up and can see that it's a gmail email but I can't figure out where it's putting it or if it's deleting it.

I have opened all the subfolders and everything and still not sure what to do. I have done a bunch of searches trying to figure out my issues but can't find anything that's the same issue.

Please help.
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Check the Account settings-email under the File menu and find out where they are supposed to go. When you select an account the bottom of the tab underneath the list of accounts should tell you which .pst file and which folder within the file and also gives you the option to change the destination folder.

Dan
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I don't think POP is recommended anymore, you might want to setup Outlook to use IMAP for your GMAIL account, hopefully that solves the purpose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

POP may not be recommended but it still works perfectly well with Outlook from Office365. However, I think it works more smoothly (personal experience only) if you have only one pst file. When you are using Outlook do you have all the pst files open in the navigation pane?

Dan
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, In answer to the questions, in the navigation pane all files are open.

Also, the file that Outlook is pointed to is my [email protected] account.

Everyday the number of items in my gmail inbox grows. It is now 9576 and growing but there are NOT that many emails in that inbox, maybe there is really only a couple hundred. It's showing emails from prior that are not relevant.

Thanks, Paul
Old 09-13-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Paul, sorry I have reached the limit of my knowledge. The discrepancy in email numbers is something I have not experienced. I hope that an Outlook expert joins in to help.

Dan
Old 09-13-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliejr2 View Post
Hi, In answer to the questions, in the navigation pane all files are open.

Also, the file that Outlook is pointed to is my [email protected] account.

Everyday the number of items in my gmail inbox grows. It is now 9576 and growing but there are NOT that many emails in that inbox, maybe there is really only a couple hundred. It's showing emails from prior that are not relevant.

Thanks, Paul

Read this guide to POP3
https://support.office.com/en-us/art...6-17f6139bd9d1
Old 09-13-2018, 03:22 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

This is the reason you need to switch over to IMAP, labels are not handled well in POP, so when Gmail tags an email with a label, pop is not able to differentiate it accurately, once you have IMAP, the Inbox labels will all be available in the Inbox.

The ones without the label will be the ones stuck in sort of a limbo.. Open your Gmail online and find out which email is missing and what it's label is.. Then change the label accordingly, mark it Inbox or such and then refresh your Outlook and see if it comes up.
RockyAtlanta likes this.

Closed Thread