Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Outlook 2013 problem

This is a discussion on Outlook 2013 problem within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Outlook 2013 and two email addresses are linked to it. Outlook has worked alright since it was installed

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have Outlook 2013 and two email addresses are linked to it. Outlook has worked alright since it was installed when I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.
Lately I have not bee able to receive emails sent to one of the email addresses I have. I can send it from Outlook it shows sent but never arrives to the inbox.
I have a Gmail account as well and it will not display the emails sent to the other email address either.
My internet provider Googled my issue and told me try this to fix it

but the tab he is referring to is already selected.

I am getting an error message as well on the Outlook, Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following. Too many simultaneous connections. Failure.

I think it might be a Gmail issue of some sort that Gmail is not allowing the second email address to pass. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

On a browser, rather than Outlook (client) sign in then out of your account. Let's see what happens.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
On a browser, rather than Outlook (client) sign in then out of your account. Let's see what happens.
Do you mean on the PC sign out of the Outlook and then sign back into Outlook? How would I sign out of Outlook on the PC?

I see that I have instant email notification for this thread yet I did not receive an email because it it is linked to the other email account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I meant to open wherever you get your webmail, not your client which is Outlook.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have Gmail so you mean sign out of Gmail and back in? If so I have signed out of Gmail and back in, no difference that I can see.

And my phone does not receive the emails to the second email account either. The email app I use on the phone is Outlook for Android.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

In your Outlook Account, make sure incoming is correct. https://www.howtogeek.com/174837/how...13-using-imap/
Might as well check everything while you're there.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

Would this be a Gmail issue and not an Outlook issue?
Sending emails from Gmail to the second email address only displays as sent it never is received by Gmail or Outlook into the inbox.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

If you think so: https://www.google.com/safetycenter/...e/start/gmail/

Old 04-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
If you think so
Actually I have no idea, but I have observed the issues. It now appears as though these emails are being received they are just ridiculously slow in doing so. I do not understand the chain of process either, when an email is sent it goes from Gmail to Outlook and then Outlook syncs it and send it to all other devices, is that about it? That could be the reason I do not receive emails on the Outlook app on the phone because the Outlook on the PC is such a laggard.

For now I can use the Gmail app on the phone which appears to be working fine except I am unfamiliar with it, same for Gmail on the browser of the PC. If I am right about the chain then what needs to be done is speed up Outlook on the PC, and that can be done by? Once it gets back to normal it will sync quickly and send email to the Outlook app on the phone I hope. Maybe I have too many files and folders in Outlook but I have the exact same amount of stuff on Gmail about 1.4 GB worth and it works fine.

Thank you for your time and assitance but can you change your assitance to speeding up Outlook on the PC? What can be done?
Old 04-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Delete mail you don't need and go to Deleted Items folder and empty it. Now, File>Account Settings>Account Settings>Data Files>Settings>Advanced>Outlook Data File Settings> Compact Now>OK

Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Delete mail you don't need and go to Deleted Items folder and empty it. Now, File>Account Settings>Account Settings>Data Files>Settings>Advanced>Outlook Data File Settings> Compact Now>OK
I always delete the deleted items folder contents on a regular basis in Outlook on the PC.

What happens if I select compact now?

Outlook is still saying in a pop up box that " Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following. Too many simultaneous connections. (Failure)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Compacting allows Outlook to function more efficiently when large quantities of mail are retained. also see: https://productforums.google.com/for...il/13or-XXL3a8

Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Compacting allows Outlook to function more efficiently when large quantities of mail are retained
So it works basically the same just more efficiently and I still have total access to saved emails? I would like to give compacting Outlook data a try but do not want to jeopardize my files.

Again thank you very much for your patience if you could just answer this one more question maybe the compacting might fix the problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #14
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Yes, you still have full access.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

No need to compact Outlook DB, Outlook 2013 can store up to 50 GIGs in the OST file without issue, I've had mailboxes this big and it works fine.

The error appears that GMAIL is BLOCKING the connection, or you need to "ALLOW" GMAIL on Outlook, via Gmail.com.

Delete the account in Outlook, set it back up again.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

PC: Suppose user doesn't auto archive?

Old 04-22-2017, 06:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Suppose user doesn't auto archive?
How do I accomplish that?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #18
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...F-9CD517D79F8E

Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #19
Registered Member

Well I have solved the problem by removing the Outlook icon on the tray at the bottom of the PC and not using it again. I have been reading that Outlook 2013 has been plagued with this type of problem, How to fix Gmail sync problems in Outlook 2013 | PCWorld. It is odd however that my problem only recently began after years of trouble free usage with Outlook 2013. But I have wasted more than enough of everyone's time on this issue.

Thank you to everyone who attempted to fix the issue, I truly appreciate the help.

I will read up on how to use Gmail and maybe try the newer version of Outlook when I get another computer. Who knows maybe I wont miss it.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #20
Registered Member

I had posted a problem I was having with Outlook 2013. The problem I was having was it was syncing all of the time and very, very slow. A friend said they experienced the exact same problem and their solution was to change the "socket" location. They experimented a bit with my computer and lo and behold changing the socket number fixed the issue.

I add this comment as it is truly solved now. I post because it appears this sync issue is prevalent with Outlook and this is the way to fix it for sure. I have had zero issues with Outlook since the fix.

FYI

ISSUE SOLVED
Closed Thread