User Tag List

Outlook

This is a discussion on Outlook within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Outlook 2013 and am purchasing a new PC very soon. I am told that the cost associated with

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have Outlook 2013 and am purchasing a new PC very soon. I am told that the cost associated with Office is either a one time fee with support until a new version is released then support stops without Outlook or a yearly subscription fee if Outlook is required.
My question for the forum is Outlook.com is available online for free, can I send the Outlook 2013 files and folders to Outlook.com and use it going forward and not lose any information?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I think you can export your existing PST files and import them to the Outlook.com.. and all your emails can be visible there as well.. Although good to read up on it...

Also, you might have to minimize the size of the PST file or break them into chunks based on the PST size limit..

Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Check your support info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...tandard%202013

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
That link does not work.

Can I throw a few questions out here? I want to purchase a new PC, printer, monitor, keyboard, etc. I am told I have Outlook the program and am told I need to pay $80.00 per year to Micorsoft to keep it. I am told that Outlook.com is about the same thing only free. Except I have a gmail and my ISP provider email accounts linked to Outlook currently and am told I will not be able to sync these additonal accounts with Outlook.com Y/N?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Outlook.com is free. There's no reason to upgrade to 365 if you're happy with Outlook as is.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post
That link does not work.

Can I throw a few questions out here? I want to purchase a new PC, printer, monitor, keyboard, etc. I am told I have Outlook the program and am told I need to pay $80.00 per year to Micorsoft to keep it. I am told that Outlook.com is about the same thing only free. Except I have a gmail and my ISP provider email accounts linked to Outlook currently and am told I will not be able to sync these additonal accounts with Outlook.com Y/N?
That link works just fine, you must be doing something wrong. Office 2013 (Outlook 2013) with Service Pack 1 extended support ends in 4/11/2023 while mainstream support ended in 4/10/2018. Your Office 2013 will continue receiving security updates until 2023 April 11th. You don't have to subscribe to Office 365 to continue using Outlook 2013 or Office 2013. You already paid (one-time) for Office 2013 when you bought it (retail), you don't need to pay for it again. Your Office 2013 will continue working even after the end of extended support, but because it won't be receiving any more updates, it will be unsecure (unplugged security holes) and eventually won't be able to use the latest security implementations used by your email service providers.

If I'm not mistaken, you can use the Outlook.com (Outlook Mail) webmail client to sync and access your Gmail as well as your ISP email accounts just fine. All you have to do is add those accounts to Outlook.com as Connected accounts and it will take care of the syncing, just the same way you would configure the Outlook 2013 or any other desktop email client. What you need to link your ISP email accounts are the configuration information: incoming and outgoing server addresses, ports, username and passwords.

There are free desktop email client alternatives to Outlook 2013, such as Thunderbird. It supports importing your emails from Outlook 2013. You may wanna look into those as well. If Outlook is the only Office application you use and you have no use for the others like Word and Excel, then buying a subscription of Office 365 just to keep Outlook updated seems like overkill to me.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Agree with Stance, O365 license is overkill if you're only going to use Outlook..

Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

I'm puzzled as to why one would use an e-mail client with a Gmail account. Your responses will be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:17 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackgfuller View Post
I'm puzzled as to why one would use an e-mail client with a Gmail account. Your responses will be appreciated.
Here're three reasons:

1. Browsers are resource hogs; notorious for their memory usage. Instead of keeping the browser running, be it in the background or foreground, using up valuable memory just so I can get timely notifications of arriving messages, I'd rather have a less-heavy client doing that. Try multitasking while the browser is doing its thing even if just a single tab, and see how much memory it leaves for your other tasks. I run virtual machines and memory-hungry programs like Photoshop, Visual Studio... name them... and I sure would want as much available memory as I can get from the limited that I have.

2. Offline storage and access. A client facilitates downloading of messages and saving them on local storage for offline access, whereas a web session would require re-fetching of a message almost every time you open it.

3. Personal preference; does this really need an explanation???
Old 01-23-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks, Stancestans -- all good reasons. I use Win Mail on my PC with 'just' 8 GB Ram -- Chrome gets really hungry with Gmail open. I have a 12 GB PC, and there it doesn't make a big impact using Chrome.

I have "Mail" linked to my Gmail account, so any notes written in Mail quickly appear also in Gmail.

Various other browsers [Vivaldi, Brave, Maxthon] are less hungry, I've found.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 PM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Question

Quote:
Thanks, Stancestans -- all good reasons. I use Win Mail on my PC with 'just' 8 GB Ram -- Chrome gets really hungry with Gmail open. I have a 12 GB PC, and there it doesn't make a big impact using Chrome.

I have "Mail" linked to my Gmail account, so any notes written in Mail quickly appear also in Gmail.

Various other browsers [Vivaldi, Brave, Maxthon] are less hungry, I've found.
You do realise that you're using an email client (Windows 10 Mail) with a Gmail account, don't you? Makes me wonder why you asked for reasons in the first place . One might even think you're trolling the forums.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #12
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

lol ^

Old 01-25-2019, 12:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

No sir - not a troll.

Memory issues might push one to use an e-mail client. I use Mail because of that. But I can also use a less-demanding browser - which I do.

The big advantage that I see to NOT using a client is the portability of a web-based e-mail. I can do mine on any of my PCs, or even my Sweet Bride's Chromebook.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:08 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
No sir - not a troll.

Memory issues might push one to use an e-mail client. I use Mail because of that. But I can also use a less-demanding browser - which I do.

The big advantage that I see to NOT using a client is the portability of a web-based e-mail. I can do mine on any of my PCs, or even my Sweet Bride's Chromebook.
The alternative browsers that you mention haven't really caught on for one reason or another, plus they are still not as light on memory as a desktop email client is. Try managing multiple email accounts simultaneously via webmail on those browsers and see what the experience is like. A single email account or two is not much of a problem, but when that number rises, things start to get entangled and cumbersome. Using a desktop client doesn't in any way prevent you from using webmail sessions on a browser to access the same account, so you can always switch to whatever method that befits the situation at hand. Most folks have a main PC or mobile device that they use for most of their email communications and other things. Email clients on such machines prove to be very advantageous compared to machines that are seldom or occasionally in use.
Closed Thread