Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird?

This is a discussion on How can I clean out "All Mail" folder files in Thunderbird? within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have 3 Gmail accounts that I manage with the up-to-date version of Thunderbird (TB). I've been having storage capacity

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have 3 Gmail accounts that I manage with the up-to-date version of Thunderbird (TB). I've been having storage capacity issues on my C:Drive & noticed several large imap/gmail files when I did a search of the drive. After doing a lot of web searching, it seems Gmail uses "All Mail" as an archive in TB. It basically duplicates every email you ever sent or received no matter if you deleted it or moved it to a folder. As you can imagine with greatly increases the space each email account takes up on the drive, Each "All Mail" folder I have has over 3,000 emails in them. I spent hours going thru each account & each folder deleting emails i didn't need trying to clear up some space, The problem is if you delete an email from your "family" folder it is still in the "All Mail" folder. If you go into the "All Mail" folder & delete any of the emails it deletes it from that folder & whatever folder the original emails was filtered to. I didn't try it but I'm guessing if I did a "select all" in "All Mail" & hit delete it would delete every email in that account regardless of the folder its in. I found advise to "unsubscribe" that All Mail folder & I know how to do that. However that seems like just a way to hide the folder but not clean out its data or turn it off from getting more future emails. I looked in, Account setting-Copies & folder. There is a section about archiving. It auto selects "keep message archives in" then it auto selects "Others - "All Mail" - My gmail acct name. This seemed like the place to find answers but before I did anything I wanted to find out the following:

-What would happen if I just Un-selected "Keep message archives in"?
-What would happen if I choose to have the in ("Archive" to folder on option) as - Drop down Box & I select the name of particular email account?
-How can I clear out all the emails in the "All Mail" folder without deleting the emails I want to keep in their current folders?
-If I'm able to do that, how do I turn off the "All Mail" archiving folder in the future?

As always gang, Thanks for the Help! John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi perhaps the tips here can be of some help "All Mail" folder in Thunderbird 3 w/ Gmail • mozillaZine Forums

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Troubled

You can likewise advise gmail itself to not exhibit the applicable envelopes to the IMAP client (thunderbird) by any means. To do this, go to Gmail > Settings > Labels, locate the significant names, and untick "Show in IMAP".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Not a hardware issue. Topic being moved to the email board.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

IMAP accounts do not store any emails on your local computer. You are actually viewing them on the server. That includes GMail's All Mail folder. Your drive space issue lies elsewhere.
Closed Thread