Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Exporting email addresses from WLM to Thunderbird

This is a discussion on Exporting email addresses from WLM to Thunderbird within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My apologies if this is in the wrong category, but I didn't see a choice for email problems. My wife

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

My apologies if this is in the wrong category, but I didn't see a choice for email problems.

My wife is running W7 and has been using Windows Live Mail for years. Lately she's been getting too many error messages and problems of various sorts. I searched around and found out Microsoft hasn't been supporting WLM for a while now.

So, I'm trying to get her over to Thunderbird, that way since I also use it, when she has a problem I will be familiar with the email program, unlike WLM.

I'm having trouble with exporting the email addresses from WLM to TBird. She has different sub-categories/groups of email addresses related to her work. When I choose export on WLM as Business Card vcf, then choose the contact group and export folder, when I try to import it to Tbird, there are HUNDREDS of email addresses in there, not just the 43 that were in that particular group. I installed the add-on for the address book in Tbird, but it doesn't do any good.

I'm at wits end! Help save our sanity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I can't get to a computer with TBird right now, but am moving this thread to EMail.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:23 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Haven't used WLM or TB in a while, but I'm sure it should have an option to export as a csv file, see if this works for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Haven't used WLM or TB in a while, but I'm sure it should have an option to export as a csv file, see if this works for you.
The TB instructions say to export them as vcf. I did try csv, but when I imported them to TB, they looked like gibberish, and it appeared to be the same hundreds of email addresses.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:26 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You cannot selectively export contacts in WLM, I'm afraid. You can only export ALL contacts, regardless of which export format you choose.

Quote:
When I choose export on WLM as Business Card vcf, then choose the contact group and export folder
Nowhere in the export process does it present the option to choose the category/group to export. If such an option existed, then it would have done exactly as it says; export contacts from the select group/category only, don't you think?
Closed Thread