Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Email Clients

This is a discussion on Email Clients within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, For many years I have been using WLM 2012 which has suited us just fine. Just recently though, I

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,
For many years I have been using WLM 2012 which has suited us just fine. Just recently though, I have noticed strange behaviour from WLM 2012 such as randomly creating new Storage files and Recovered Items folders.
I then planned to switch to the built in Windows 10 mail client, however it seems that only Microsoft accounts (such as Hotmail) have the ability to create additional folders (which is what I want to do). My preferred email address is from Optus, so I can't create new folders.
So I guess my only option is a different email client, such as Thunderbird?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018, 02:37 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossy View Post
Hi,
For many years I have been using WLM 2012 which has suited us just fine. Just recently though, I have noticed strange behaviour from WLM 2012 such as randomly creating new Storage files and Recovered Items folders.
I then planned to switch to the built in Windows 10 mail client, however it seems that only Microsoft accounts (such as Hotmail) have the ability to create additional folders (which is what I want to do). My preferred email address is from Optus, so I can't create new folders.

Rob.
Have you actually configured Mail (Windows 10) for use with your Optus email account and then attempted to create a folder? If you have, do you actually get a message stating you cannot do so for a non-Microsoft account, or do you simply get a non-specific error stating the folder could not be created? Do you have a source for this restriction on non-Microsoft accounts or is it just a supposed one?

Perhaps there are other underlying problems that are not specific to Windows Mail or WLM. We could be looking at a deeper problem, so WLM and Mail may not be of blame here.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:55 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for getting back.

Yes, I have. I can receive and send email no problems, but the option to create folders and sub folders is absent in the Optusnet account. I do have a Hotmail account, and the option to create folders and sub folders is there, and I have created some as a test.
All the research I have done states that the ability to create new folders is restricted to IMAP services and Optus is POP3.

WLM is not the cause of this problem, but as it is 6 yeasrs out of date I am not surprised that it is losing functionality with Windows 10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
All the research I have done states that the ability to create new folders is restricted to IMAP services and Optus is POP3.
Yeah, your research findings are correct, so to answer your original question,
Quote:
It is not a matter of choice of email client. It is a matter of restrictions in the POP3 protocol as you can read for yourself in RFC 1939. So, no matter which client you choose, you won't have that provision as long as you're using POP3 access. The only option here is to use IMAP. If I may ask, why do you prefer POP3?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

That link doesn't work, sorry.

It's not a case of preferring POP3, at this time Optus only offers POP3.

Out of curiosity, I have downloaded and set up Thunderbird and I can create and utilise new folders and sub folders using POP3. Are there and recommendations for other email clients, or is Thunderbird as good as any?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

That link doesn't work, sorry.

It's not a case of preferring POP3, at this time Optus only offers POP3.

Out of curiosity, I have downloaded and set up Thunderbird and I can create and utilise new folders and sub folders using POP3. Are there and recommendations for other email clients, or is Thunderbird as good as any?

Oops, forgot the link parsing issue we have here. Here's a working link https://bit.ly/2nwCOvF

Those are just local folders (not server-side) you've created, for use by Thunderbird. Is that what you wanted?

It seems like IMAP access is available for Optus, as per the tutorial given here Set up your mobile phone for IMAP email - Apple iPhone 6 - Optus

Why don't you give that configuration a try and let use know. All you need is the imap server name and the port:

IMAP (insecure i.e no SSL/TLS encryption)
mail.optusnet.com.au

port: 143
Old 08-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks.

Yes, that's all I require, not server side.

I'll give those settings a go, adapted for PC as opposed to iPhone 6.

If this fixes the Windows 10 mail issue, I won't need Thunderbird or anything else.

Thanks again.

Rob.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Thanks.

Yes, that's all I require, not server side.

I'll give those settings a go, adapted for PC as opposed to iPhone 6.

If this fixes the Windows 10 mail issue, I won't need Thunderbird or anything else.

Thanks again.

Rob.
You're welcome. Thunderbird is a great client. It has been my main client for years and is yet to disappoint. Coming from WLM, perhaps the biggest change that people find unpleasant is its looks. Windows 10 Mail has a promising future if only MS listens to user feedback, and so far it has made good strides. It is functional, does what it primarily should do and best of all, is integrated with the Windows 10 OS hence no compatibility issues as can be the case with third-party software.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Well, some progress made, thank you.

Firstly, no matter what I did, I could not change the settings of my existing Windows 10 mail Optus account from POP3 to IMAP. I then looked at the TB settings, and they were already IMAP.

SO, I deleted my existing Optus account from Windows 10 mail, and when I reinstalled it, IMAP was the default setting. Lo and behold, suddenly Windows 10 mail allows me to create new Folders (but unlike TB, sadly not subfolders, but that's nitpicking).

I now have what I was trying to create, and the choice of TB or Windows 10 mail. Good to receive your opinion of TB, it seems highly regarded all round.

It appears that since I first created the Optus account on Windows 10 mail, Optus has decided to add the option of IMAP, and my research in that regard was incorrect.

Thanks again.

Rob.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:26 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Well, some progress made, thank you.

Firstly, no matter what I did, I could not change the settings of my existing Windows 10 mail Optus account from POP3 to IMAP. I then looked at the TB settings, and they were already IMAP.

SO, I deleted my existing Optus account from Windows 10 mail, and when I reinstalled it, IMAP was the default setting. Lo and behold, suddenly Windows 10 mail allows me to create new Folders (but unlike TB, sadly not subfolders, but that's nitpicking).

I now have what I was trying to create, and the choice of TB or Windows 10 mail. Good to receive your opinion of TB, it seems highly regarded all round.

It appears that since I first created the Optus account on Windows 10 mail, Optus has decided to add the option of IMAP, and my research in that regard was incorrect.

Thanks again.

Rob.
Good to know and yes, you can create subfolders in Windows 10 Mail. Simply right-click the parent folder to get additional options.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:33 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Well so you can, but not in the blue area. Click 'More' then right click on the drop down. Thanks again.
I don't suppose there's a quick way to import all the saved emails from WLM lol?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Well so you can, but not in the blue area. Click 'More' then right click on the drop down. Thanks again.
I don't suppose there's a quick way to import all the saved emails from WLM lol?
Unfortunate, Mail is yet to have import/export functionality, but that is not a problem as long as your emails are still on your service provider's servers.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Hi, sadly they are not.
I have been trying to locate the new Windows 10 email folders and subfolders I have created, without success. The plan was to copy the .eml files from where they are into the new folders. Any suggestions, please?
It also seems that there is corruption afoot in the WLM 2012 folders I created some time ago. When I try to open saved emails in WLM 2012, no matter which email I click on, only 1 specific email opens. Of course, this won't matter once they are moved to Windows 10 mail.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Hi, sadly they are not.
I have been trying to locate the new Windows 10 email folders and subfolders I have created, without success. The plan was to copy the .eml files from where they are into the new folders. Any suggestions, please?
It also seems that there is corruption afoot in the WLM 2012 folders I created some time ago. When I try to open saved emails in WLM 2012, no matter which email I click on, only 1 specific email opens. Of course, this won't matter once they are moved to Windows 10 mail.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-31cdc66451d0 mentions the location of the data files in use by Windows 10 Mail. You may be able to copy those eml files over and it will hopefully work.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Have a look at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-111f8d021cf8 too. It's hassle and something that people have been asking about all over the place for a long time. You may have no other option except to use another email client to import those eml files, assuming they are not corrupted.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks.
The .eml files themselves are not corrupted, if i go to where they are stored in WLM2012, i can click on the .eml files and they open ok in Windows 10 mail.
Before i posted this question last night i did go to that location but the folders i was looking for werent there. I will check later to confirm that my pc is set to display hidden folders.
Worst case, i can simply email the .eml files to myself lol.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

Hi again, I have browsed looking for the location referred to in that link. I get as far as localstate, but there is no 'indexed' folder. Settings are to display hidden folders.
Could this be because Windows 10 mail is using IMAP? I thought that the additional folders I was creating in Windows 10 mail were on this PC, not in the server?
Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Hi again, I have browsed looking for the location referred to in that link. I get as far as localstate, but there is no 'indexed' folder. Settings are to display hidden folders.
Could this be because Windows 10 mail is using IMAP? I thought that the additional folders I was creating in Windows 10 mail were on this PC, not in the server?
Thanks again.
I believe so. Perhaps if you configured it for POP then it will save them as eml files, and then you can copy over the ones saved by WLM. The folders you create while using IMAP are server-side.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Hi,

Rob.
I now only recommend Em-Client to my residential customers.

It sets up great, always seems to configure itself correctly (manual set-up is there, too, if you prefer), and looks really nice.

Once you download the installer, be sure to go back to their website, scroll to the bottom, and click "Free License". The key will be displayed on-screen, as well as being emailed to the account you list. I never see any sort of advertising or etc. (Copy) the key to the clipboard.

When it's installed and running: go to Menu>help>license>activate>(paste). It will warn that you have 29 days left of the pro features but just click that you wish to activate. The screen will show it go from "demo" to "free".

Cheers

Edit: Don't uninstall WLM-- I believe Em-Client can import your WLM folders, too. Just have a look in the menu.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have been using the Windows 10 mail app, once I had IMAP configured I was able to create additional folders for storage.
The other issue I have found with WLM is that the Folders I have created for storage have been corrupted somehow. The saved emails are all there, but no matter which one you try to open, the same one always opens. The solution appears to be to create a new storage folder then move the saved emails from the corrupted folder to the new folder.. I am leaving WLM in place so that the old emails are saved.
Closed Thread