Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Email Clients

This is a discussion on Email Clients within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Crossy, You can still give Em-client a go. It won't hurt anything to run it along with the others

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #21
Registered Member

My System

Hi Crossy,

You can still give Em-client a go. It won't hurt anything to run it along with the others installed (one has nothing to do with the other), and if it does a better job, then you know and can delete the Win 10 Mail profile & WLM once it's all imported into EM.

I've had too many complaints about Win 10 Mail, which is why I went out on a hunt for a truly great replacement. To me, Em-Client is nicer than anything MS has produced.

It's up to you, of course-- that's the good bit.

;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks.
Agree, the Win 10 is fairly bland.
I'll have a look at Em later.

Rob.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #23
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossy View Post
Thanks.
Agree, the Win 10 is fairly bland.
I'll have a look at Em later.

Rob.
eM Client is a great alternative to WLM and you need to know that the free license restricts you to two accounts. If it is your preference to store your emails on local storage and leave no copies on Opus servers, then make sure you have a backup or archiving plan or else you could lose them all permanently.
Crossy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #24
TSF Enthusiast

Just analysing the choices here. If I use Windows 10 mail, the only way I can create additional storage folders is to use IMAP which means that the storage is in the Optus servers, not my PC. If I use Em client, I can create additional storage in my PC, is that correct?
I'd rather have the storage somewhere I can control.
I'll give Em client a go.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #25
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Just analysing the choices here. If I use Windows 10 mail, the only way I can create additional storage folders is to use IMAP which means that the storage is in the Optus servers, not my PC. If I use Em client, I can create additional storage in my PC, is that correct?
I'd rather have the storage somewhere I can control.
I'll give Em client a go.
Give it a go and let us know. Emphasis is NOT on having them stored on the provider's servers, but on having a backup plan for recovery in case of disaster. You are lucky the eml files are not corrupt even though your WLM installation and folder structure seem messed up. Imagine if the eml files were corrupt and they are the only copies of your emails. Do you not see the disaster that would have followed? Local storage is fine, but do yourself some justice and have a backup plan coz you never know when you're gonna need it.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 AM   #26
TSF Enthusiast

I have installed and set it up, seems to be working ok.
I do have backup in place, I use Macrium daily and do manual backups to a schedule.
I'll work it in parallel with Win 10 mail for a while.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #27
Registered Member

My System

Idea

I've found Em-Client support pretty good, actually. And I've not upgraded from basic acct. No other email programs setup as well nor integrate with contacts & import of settings as correctly as Em-Client.

Every so often (your call), run a full BA, or, copy out your email client's folders to save your mail setup/folders. This whole thing is incredibly complicated depending on the computer's model (ultra-specific within a series), brand, retail, builder, etc.....My advice is to look through the email settings and really READ it.

My final words: I would never in a million years trust an unknown company to tell me where to send & receive my personal, digital communication.

Manually, "Copy" --> "Paste"? When it's done, make sure you open a few to be sure everything is ok.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #28
TSF Enthusiast

BA?..
Old 08-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #29
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
BA?..
So sorry--

meant, "BU" = "back up".

PS: Em-Client saves as .eml, which is a fairly non-proprietary format.
Closed Thread