Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Email

User Tag List

Corrupted OE6 DBX files (some, but not all)

This is a discussion on Corrupted OE6 DBX files (some, but not all) within the Email forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I would rate the difficulty of this problem as Extraordinarly High. -- Some of my Outlook Express 6 DXB stores/folders

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I would rate the difficulty of this problem as Extraordinarly High. -- Some of my Outlook Express 6 DXB stores/folders are populated but act corrupted. I will give some background, but what I really need help with is recovering these corupted DBX's. ...

Backgound: I am an expert user running W2K Pro om a P4 2.66 Mhz Netvista. I was using Partition Magic 6 to increase the size of the partition on the Maxtor USB Hdd where the OE Message Store is kept. (I've used PM 6 many times with no problems.) I received an "Error 625" message from Partition Magic, telling me PM was seeing the drive differently from how Windows saw it. PM said the error was recoverable and then proceeded to fix Index errors for 30 mins. or so. After than, Windows saw a conflict in the size of that logical drive/partition (on USB Hdd), but aside from reporting two different sizes (depending on where I looked) it didn't misbehave in any way.

Oddly and luckily, the other 50 gigs of photos, applications and documents on the partition that I tried to expand survived intact. But when I rebooted and opened OE, many OE folders were empty -- even those where the associated DBX file showed appropriately large file sizes. A number of Folders and DBX files worked perfectly, though.

I have tried using Outlook Express Attachment Extractor for Outlook Express 5/6 and Macallan Outlook Express Extraction, but I can't access the email files inside some folder DBXes. I don't need to save attachments, just the emails. I also unsuccessfully tried to drag/drop the corrupted DBX files into Notepad and Word Pad. I also unsuccessfully tried to copy the corrupted DBX files to another folder, rename the DBXes in the original OE store, create new folders with original name and to import the original backed-up DBX into the new folder. No Luck here either.

When I use File Snoop to look at a functionaling DBX, it shows me the text of the emails. Whe I use it to look at a corrupted DBX, it shows me garbage characters. But still, the corrupted DBXes in the mail store show very large sizes, leading me to believe that the data IS still in there, somewhere.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on dbx repair these emails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You can convert .dbx to .pst. Not sure that will help, but maybe.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:30 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This one is difficult - the .dbx file structure was extraordinarily prone to corruption like this :( Sometimes the data is recoverable, sometimes it isn't.

If you Google outlook express file viewer then that will bring up a list of some useful utilities, which may or may not work :(

The one I've used in similar circumstances is this... Inside Outlook Express - Tools for Outlook Express Users which is free, and works well. The drawback is that the developer died last year, and his site hasn't been maintained by anyone else, so copies of if will be hard to find :(

I'll need to search my archives, but I should have a copy somewhere!
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 03:34 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Surprisingly, I found a downloadable copy easily... https://www.technibble.com/repair-to...k-dbxtract-45/