Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Offline

User Tag List

Windows Update acting weird!

This is a discussion on Windows Update acting weird! within the Offline forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't think this is a problem, more of a curiosity, hence posting here. If it turns out that it

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

I don't think this is a problem, more of a curiosity, hence posting here. If it turns out that it is a problem, I'll get someone to move it to the appropriate forum.

Got a notification earlier that new updates are available. As you will see from the pics, "4 important updates available" but only 3 of them preselected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WU1.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	168722

The next page shows which update it is that Windows doesn't seem to be able to make its mind up about. As I'm sure you will agree, usually all important updates would be preselected.

Name:	WU2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	168730

Anyone else had this issue?

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I see this happen quite a bit. It will select that one once the other three are installed and you've restarted (if it's still needed). I imagine it could be due to prerequisites contained in the other patches or due to some issues they found during testing where installing all of them at the same time caused an issue.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

My System

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense.

Thanks Joe.

Edit; You probably saved me some trouble too as I was just going to select it manually. Now I'm downloading the 3 and we'll see if you're correct.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Yeah, I get the same thing. The IE update isn't critical, therefore, it is not preselected.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #5

My System

Notified me about the 'important update' straight away but still not preselected.

Name:	WU3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	168738

Just going to grab it anyhow. Thanks for the input.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Yeah, I get the same thing. The IE update isn't critical, therefore, it is not preselected.
Critical is more important than important then?

Submit New Articles Here

Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Yes .

46 Optional Updates?? Either you just installed a fresh copy of Office or you just did a fresh install of Windows.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

My System

I have an Office 2003 (i think) disc but very rarely find a need to use it so I just run it from the disc......or do I install/uninstall it as required, can't remember now.

I've declined updates as I only use it for the most basic things and have no intention of having it permanently installed for any length of time.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 04-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Office 2003 lost support today.

Was I right on the updates then?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

My System

Yes, they are for Office. The reason they're optional, I guess, is because I declined them.

I'd never miss that many from a fresh install.

Submit New Articles Here

Old 04-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Just a guess. I think that if you've been updating properly, then the cumulative wouldn't be needed. Some of the Office updates actually improve the product. You don't need the language ones if you don't speak that language.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

I just install everything they put in Windows Updates. With the exception of Bing Bar and Bing Desktop.

I don't really see a reason on why people would skip some.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Quote:
I just install everything they put in Windows Updates. With the exception of Bing Bar and Bing Desktop.

Pretty much the same here. I manually select the "missing" important one and have never had a problem.

If I don't reply within two days PM me as I sometimes get busy and forget threads.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #14

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
Yes, they are for Office. The reason they're optional, I guess, is because I declined them.

I'd never miss that many from a fresh install.
Oops, my mistake, they're not Office updates.
Quote:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 for Windows 7 (KB2858725)

Download size: 53.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 is a highly compatible, in-place update to the .NET Framework 4 and 4.5. By using the .NET Framework 4.5.1 together with the C# or Visual Basic programming languages, you can write Windows Store apps. The .NET Framework 4.5.1 delivers better performance, reliability, and security than previous versions. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
The .NET Framework 4.5.1 and its corresponding language packs are available on Windows Update

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 (KB2685811)

Download size: 578 KB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 on Windows 7, Vista and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2750147)

Download size: 39.2 MB

This update addresses compatibility, stability, reliability, and performance issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An update is available for the .NET Framework 4.5 in Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, and Windows Vista SP2: January 2013

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 on Windows 7, Vista and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2805221)

Download size: 29.0 MB

This update addresses reliability, stability, compatibility and performance issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An update is available for the .NET Framework 4.5 in Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, and Windows Vista SP2: May 2013

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 on Windows 7, Vista and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2805226)

Download size: 17.0 MB

This update addresses reliability, stability, compatibility and performance issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An update is available for the .NET Framework 4.5 in Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2008 SP2, and Windows Vista SP2: May 2013

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 (KB2685813)

Download size: 920 KB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2506928)

Download size: 57 KB

More information:
A link in an .html file that you open in Outlook does not work in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2545698)

Download size: 2.2 MB

More information:
Text in some core fonts appears blurred in Internet Explorer 9 on a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2547666)

Download size: 1.9 MB

More information:
You cannot delete long URLs from the browsing history in Internet Explorer on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2563227)

Download size: 114 KB

Install this update to resolve performance and reliability issues in Windows. By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An SVG graphic that has attributes that use large values may not be parsed correctly

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2574819)

Download size: 1.5 MB

Update type: Optional

More information:
An update is available that adds support for DTLS in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2592687)

Download size: 1.5 MB - 5.7 MB

The Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0 update enables you to use the new Remote Desktop Services features. These features are introduced in Windows 8 and in Windows Server 2012 and are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) 8.0 update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2640148)

Download size: 4.7 MB

More information:
Windows Explorer stops responding if you try to expand a mapped drive in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2660075)

Download size: 302 KB

More information:
You cannot change the time and date if the time zone is set to Samoa (UTC+13:00) and KB 2657025 is installed in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2699779)

Download size: 1.1 MB

More information:
Applications using multi-package installation on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 may fail to install

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2709630)

Download size: 145 KB

More information:
Delay occurs when you log on to a domain from a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2709981)

Download size: 266 KB

More information:
Windows Media Player 12 displays scrambled DVD content in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2719857)

Download size: 471 KB

More information:
You cannot use an USB RNDIS device to connect to a 3G or 4G network in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2726535)

Download size: 9.4 MB

More information:
An update is available that adds South Sudan to the list of countries in Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2732059)

Download size: 286 KB

More information:
You cannot open an .oxps file in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2732487)

Download size: 336 KB

More information:
"0x0000000a" Stop error code when you resume a Windows 7-based computer from sleep or from hibernation

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2732500)

Download size: 412 KB

More information:
"E_UNEXPECTED 0x8000ffff" error when you try to restore a system by using System Recovery Options in Windows 7

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2750841)

Download size: 2.1 MB

More information:
An IPv6 readiness update is available for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2761217)

Download size: 1.9 MB

More information:
An update is available to add the Calibri Light and Calibri Light Italic fonts to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2763523)

Download size: 628 KB

More information:
No network connectivity on Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based client computers when a DHCPv6 message is sent that has a duplicated DUID

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2773072)

Download size: 2.8 MB

More information:
Update changes the game rating systems in Windows 7

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2786400)

Download size: 293 KB

More information:
An update is available that changes the default settings of the shaping behavior for Arabic text rendering in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2799926)

Download size: 150 KB

More information:
USB storage device cannot be recognized or mounted on a computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2800095)

Download size: 73 KB

More information:
Wudfhost.exe crashes when you plug in a USB-ICCD-compliant smart card device into a Windows computer

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2808679)

Download size: 1.1 MB

More information:
Update that protects from internal URL port scanning is available for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Embedded Standard 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2820331)

Download size: 3.0 MB

Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
Application compatibility update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: May 2013

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2830477)

Download size: 2.2 MB - 5.8 MB

More information:
Update for RemoteApp and Desktop Connections feature is available for Windows

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2843630)

Download size: 2.0 MB

More information:
Update helps unmanaged Office 2010 users to work with Microsoft RMS in Windows

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2846960)

Download size: 225 KB

More information:
Error when you open a SharePoint Document Library in Windows Explorer or map a network drive to the library after you install Internet Explorer 10

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2847077)

Download size: 11.6 MB

More information:
Windows Media Player freezes when you use AutoPlay for an audio CD in Windows 7

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2853952)

Download size: 156 KB

More information:
Loss of consistency with IDE-attached virtual hard disks when a Hyper-V host server experiences an unplanned restart

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2891804)

Download size: 163 KB

More information:
Files or folders are removed unexpectedly when you perform a cut-and-paste operation on a Windows FTP client that is connected to an FTP site

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2893519)

Download size: 959 KB

More information:
"Remember my credentials" option cannot be hidden when the SspiPromptForCredentials function is called in Windows

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2908783)

Download size: 504 KB

More information:
Data corruption occurs on iSCSI LUNs in Windows

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2913152)

Download size: 206 KB

More information:
Windows Photo Viewer prints white lines when you use an XPS driver to print photos in Windows

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2913431)

Download size: 880 KB

More information:
Update fixes an issue that causes Windows to crash

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2918077)

Download size: 128 KB

More information:
VAN UI freezes after KB2813956 is applied in Windows 7

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2919469)

Download size: 4.5 MB

More information:
Canada country code is incorrect in Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2928562)

Download size: 560 KB

More information:
Event 55 when you copy an encrypted folder to EFS shared folder in Windows

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB2929755)

Download size: 518 KB

More information:
Out of memory when you load some image resources in a Windows application

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support

Update for Windows 7 (KB982018)

Download size: 2.2 MB

This is a reliability update. This update resolves some performance and reliability issues in Windows. By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios. For more information please see the Knowledge Base article. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available

Help and Support:
Microsoft Support
Only one marked optional, the rest recommended. Some published in 2011, some yesterday. I'm 99% sure I got them all after the last install so no idea where they all came from. I think I'm going to get them all. A fresh install has been on the cards for a while so I'll probably do a slipstreamed disc with all the updates to date.

Quote:

Agreed but I was trying to explain that I have Office 2003 on a disc. When I need to use it, I install it from the disc and then uninstall until another rare occasion when I may want to use it.
Of course I would install updates that may be required for whatever task I'm performing but apart from that, I don't see the need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Sim Guy View Post
Pretty much the same here. I manually select the "missing" important one and have never had a problem.
As I said in my first post, I don't think I have a problem, I just thought it was a bit strange.

Submit New Articles Here

Closed Thread