Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Offline

User Tag List

Current Temperatures (Take II)

This is a discussion on Current Temperatures (Take II) within the Offline forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Currently fair and 29 F this morning. Forecast is calling for a 51 | 41 F today with a 0

Like Tree81Likes

Old 11-15-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P32, W8P32; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.4.2

Currently fair and 29 F this morning. Forecast is calling for a 51 | 41 F today with a 0 | 50 % chance of precip.
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Got the same thing here, Doc.....except for 70% chance of rain. 100% chance of rain tonight. Low of 35 overnight.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P32, W8P32; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.4.2

Yet another 'indoors' day. Currently running a new circuit from the breaker box in the basement across the house, up to a receptacle in the hallway, another receptacle outside on the back of the house, another one in the attic, along with a couple of fluorescent lights up there. "Happy wife, happy life".

We've warmed up to 30 F so far.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

I see......GFCI for outside. I need to do that.....no outlet on the back porch. Don't know if I'll run a new circuit......I'll trace the existing circuit and feed from an outlet on the outside wall if I can. Vinyl siding will make for easy access......and foam sheathing.

Gotta go back to Home Depot and return the 'universal connection' kit for the dishwasher.......I'm not using a flex hose for the water when I have copper already in place. Been so long since I looked under the old dishwasher that I forgot the supply was soft copper. All I need is one fitting out of the kit that I can buy separately......what I don't need is more parts in my inventory.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:18 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Yeppirs on the GFCI. Will also have water-tight cover. Vinyl siding here as well.

Know what you mean about the inventory. Takes longer to find something in "my inventory" than it does to simply go buy one at Home Depot or Lowe's. Need more room is what I need ... and get organized.

Up to 48 F so far. Not too bad really when you're busy.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Administrator
TSF Manager

To get organized will take a dumpster and a junk hauler. Too many car parts that my son should have gotten rid of as soon as his projects were done......got 2 half-shafts from a Malibu on my front porch now. Mufflers, batteries, engines, transmissions, etc. taking up space in my garage...... No need to mention all the drums and rotors......

I better get to Home Depot to get what's needed to finish the dishwasher.....and maybe look at an upright freezer. Chest freezer no fun to dig through.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Arg! Sounds like a lot of heavy work. Haven't messed with cars much since the mid 60's through the early 80's. Still have a mess of hand tools but that's about it. All of the heavy stuff, as well as a slew of cars/car parts are long gone.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
Administrator
TSF Manager

Made it back home with $4 part in hand.......and new Klein 9" lineman's pliers. Last pair one of my sons latched onto.....along with a few other tools. He was just getting into the trades and I was already retired......most of the tools weren't being used. I do have rare calls for good pliers and I bought them on a whim.....I was looking at track lighting for the kitchen when I spotted the electrician's tools......

38 and cloudy......perfect day to stay indoors.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post

was looking at track lighting for the kitchen when I spotted the electrician's tools......
Ruh Roh! Been there, done that, too many times.

I have an old pair of the Klein J2000-9NECRTP that I use frequently.

Made it up to 53F.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Gone | Not Forgotten

Those pliers are good for one thing only. When was the last time you twisted wires together ?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Maybe 30 minutes or so ago.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Those pliers are good for one thing only. When was the last time you twisted wires together ?BG
I always twist them and use wire nuts, or standard screw terminal outlets/switches. I've had VERY poor results from any connections with the "push-in" connectors. Vacuum cords pulling out of outlets causes enough flex over time to loosen them!

Why is it there is never enough cord on a vac, no matter how long it is??

Corrosion is also a major issue with the maximum distance to the sea of less than 4 miles! I use the wire nuts with the anti-oxidation goop in them for good measure. Especially since there are still a few dwellings about with aluminum wiring which has to be pig-tailed for safety!

Got up to 82F today here in the tropics, with anticipated low tonight around 76F.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Weather-02.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	315673

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Wizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Gone | Not Forgotten

Just saying that if you have $60.00 to blow on tools, better things than this to
buy. I doubt many people know what they are. As pliers they are pretty much useless.

Vac cleaners, switch out lets ! Stranded wiring I use "Butt" connectors.

Aluminum wiring ? Seen it used over 20-30 years ago. I doubt if it still used today except for maybe the main feed coming in. I own a bottle of anti oxidation just in case.

See 46F here.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #14
Administrator
TSF Manager

Plenty of uses for lineman's pliers....they do far more than twist wires. Pretty much a must for serious commercial carpenters......ceiling man wouldn't get much done without them. Mine were $42 but don't have the fish-tape puller like Doc's......I don't own a fish-tape...... Many times I wish I hand lineman's pliers but had to make-do with what I could find. I have them now and used them on the dishwasher install...

Stab-lock connections I won't use.....unless I'm repairing power tools and there are no other provisions for connection. Stranded wire I use a soldering gun and tin the ends. Anti-oxidant (Cu-Al aid......pronounced Kool-Aid) I don't use much and spend the extra $$ and buy copper wire. My dad built in '72 when Al was popular.....big mistake. I renovated my first house in '79 and went with Cu.....no regrets.

I'll finish up the DW today.......ran a test wash on the highest settings and let it sit overnight to check for leaks. No leaks..... I'll get it anchored and button it up sometime today. Being stubborn and using the copper supply line that was in place cost me time and skin on my hands......I should have used the flex line. Too late now but if I'm involved in a DW install in the future I'll use the flex. I could have hooked everything up with the DW on its back and attached a pull string to the flex and pulled it into the cabinet where the water line is located......much more room in the cabinet to make the connection. Live and learn......

New DW was quite a surprise.....I can hardly hear the thing running. My son could hear the water filling but I had to listen real close......same thing when it was washing. That part is good......top controls I'll have to get used to.

34 and cloudy......high of 42.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:55 AM   #15
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

~$40 at Amazon. Unsurpassed quality for easily cutting and twisting wires, cutting nails and screws, pulling fish tape, etc. Easy on the hands as well. They're always in my tool belt, and have been for years. Klein Tools

Currently fair and 48 F. Forecast is calling for a 58 | 35 F today with a 0 % chance of precip.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 AM   #16
Administrator
TSF Manager

Made in America..... I looked at another brand but they were made in China......less than half the price of Klein but I passed. DW was assembled in America.....don't know about the parts. My work shirts (ca. 1990) also made in the USA.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #17
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Klein Tools 9" Journeyman Pliers High Leverage Side Cutting
Quote:
Cat. No. J2000-9NECRTP

Product Features
  • Cuts ACSR, screws, nails and most hardened wire.
  • High-leverage design. Rivet is closer to the cutting edge for 46% greater cutting and gripping power than other plier designs.
  • Built-in crimper works on non-insulated connectors, lugs and terminals.
  • Built-in channel pulls steel fish tape without damaging the tape.
  • Hot-riveted joint ensures smooth action and no handle wobble.
  • Induction hardened cutting knives for long life.
  • Streamlined design with sure-gripping, cross-hatched knurled jaws.
  • Unique handle tempering helps absorb the ''snap'' when cutting wire.
  • Precision-hardened plier head for on-the-job toughness.
  • Custom, US-made tool steel.
  • State-of-the-art dual material molding process.
  • Hard, black material for toughness and durability.
  • Soft material on outer surface for comfort and a firm grip.
  • Color-coded yellow, dark blue, red, or light blue handles allow quick identification of the tool.
  • Features combination polished and black-oxide finish.

Made it up to a sunny 57 F so far. Feels great.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
Administrator
TSF Manager

Not making much progress......still 34 and still cloudy.

Last pair of Klein pliers I had disappeared when the electrician left the jobsite. I clearly had mine marked with black stripes on the yellow handles......he knew they weren't his. I never caught up with him after that job...... The ones my son
borrowed were GB......lots cheaper but not Klein. My first lineman's pliers were Diamalloy......1975. Long gone......
Old 11-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

45 here been that all day and now getting dark at 4.45pm, nights are coming in fast now.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
Administrator
TSF Manager

I've noticed it getting darker earlier.......and it's going to keep getting earlier. I turn the outside lights on ~5:15PM......3 cfl bulbs @14W.

« nor'easter | - »