Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Windows 10 Updating

This is a discussion on Windows 10 Updating within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep, Hibernate or even Shutdown

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By britechguy

Old 05-16-2020, 02:00 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

If non-active hours are set for during the night and the PC is left in Sleep, Hibernate or even Shutdown then when updates are available, does
Windows switch on the PC with the Wake-up Timers to download and install the updates ?

If so, does it then do the second leg of updating and restart to consolidate the updates and then switch the PC off and back to the mode it was in ?
Or are you faced with a live PC screen when you wake up in the morning ?

I do all my updates manually, have rigged the non-active hours accordingly and disabled the Wake-up timers.
I have no wish to wake up in the morning and find my PC has been on half the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

I have never had Windows 10 "wake-up" a machine in sleep or hibernation for updating purposes, and if the machine is shut down it is just that - Windows (not just 10) can't and doesn't ever start a machine that's shut down (and, no Restart does not count). Depending on settings, it could be awakened from sleep, but isn't by default.

There is no reason, even if your PC were awakened, it should remain on if you have it set to sleep after a set number of minutes of inactivity in Power Settings.
yabbadoo likes this.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Take a look at your Scheduled Tasks.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
I have never had Windows 10 "wake-up" a machine in sleep or hibernation for updating purposes, and if the machine is shut down it is just that - Windows (not just 10) can't and doesn't ever start a machine that's shut down (and, no Restart does not count). Depending on settings, it could be awakened from sleep, but isn't by default.

There is no reason, even if your PC were awakened, it should remain on if you have it set to sleep after a set number of minutes of inactivity in Power Settings.
Thank you Brian - you have answered my question perfectly.

IF the non-active hours updating procedure does leave the set switched on, I have set my Power Setting to Sleep after 20 minutes of being idle.