Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Windows 10 Pre-launching and tab preloading question

This is a discussion on Windows 10 Pre-launching and tab preloading question within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've used CCleaner for quite awhile. Lately when I use it I get 3 windows that pop-up. The first: "Ccleaner

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've used CCleaner for quite awhile. Lately when I use it I get 3 windows that pop-up.

The first: "Ccleaner is unable to clean 'Session' because application 'pre-launching' and 'tab preloading' are enabled in Windows."

The second: "CCleaner is unable to clean 'Set Aside Tabs' because application 'pre-launching' and 'tab preloading' are enabled in Windows."

The third: "CCleaner is unable to clean 'Saved Form Information' because application 'pre-launching' and 'tab preloading' are enabled in Windows."

They provide two sets of instructions for how to disable these things. I've tried both ways but the instructions don't match what pulls up on my computer so neither one works. I've searched outside sources but their instructions seem to be the same.

Just curious what's going on. I've used Ccleaner for years and years without an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

What are you told to do?

What Version and Build of Windows 10 are you using? [Hit the Windows Key, immediately type winver, hit enter]
Old 12-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Raspberry Pi linux (couple of variants)

I used CCleaner from when it was Crap Cleaner but have now stopped using it because of the problems I was having with it and getting no solution form Piriform. Piriform have sold it and it was upgraded which is when problems started. It kept running in background with no option to turn it off and it started several processes running continuously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019, 01:18 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

These problems arose because of Microsoft Updates, no Piniform's Have you tried this? https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/cclean...lly-clean-edge
Old 12-19-2019, 03:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

OS: Windows 10, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Raspberry Pi linux (couple of variants)

Piriform was bought by Avast. I have tried the fixes from that link ages ago without success. That is why I am using IObit Advanced SystemCare.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
These problems arose because of Microsoft Updates, no Piniform's Have you tried this? https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/cclean...lly-clean-edge
Yes. Those are the instructions that come up in Ccleaner. I've tried both methods. In the registry I get: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>... but there is no "Microsoft Edge" in my registry

In the Group Policy method nothing is even close to what pulls up.

Like I said I've used Ccleaner forever without problems. I'm all for switching to something better. I've only used this program because I never had problems with it. But if it's not doing what it's supposed to do there's no point having it on my computer.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofish View Post
Piriform was bought by Avast. I have tried the fixes from that link ages ago without success. That is why I am using IObit Advanced SystemCare.
I'm going to give this a try - thanks
Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team

My System

Bleach Bit is also a good option. System Ninja as well.

I used CCleaner for many, many years but recently it's become more trouble than it's worth.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sremed View Post
I'm going to give this a try - thanks
I wouldn't, if I were you. Iobit is a Chinese company who were found guilty of stealing intellectual property from MalwareBytes. Granted, its old news now, IOBit Steals Malwarebytes' Intellectual Property but their software, ASC in particular, is not good and has been known to cause all kinds of problems, usually resulting in a complete reinstall.

I don't think TSF would want to be seen to be promoting anything from this company.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 12-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team

My System

I have to agree with @Deejay100six in regard to IOBit Advanced System Care specifically.

I had nightmare scenarios unfold from the use of that software on more than one occasion, which is reason enough to avoid it like the plague regardless of anything else. One time is, or could be, a fluke. Anything more than that, which shows the same pattern, is a major problem.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You mentioned not finding Microsoft Edge in Registry. I found it 4 times. Start>Regedit>Edit>Find

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
You mentioned not finding Microsoft Edge in Registry. I found it 4 times. Start>Regedit>Edit>Find
What I "mentioned" was that according to the instructions provided the sequence should have been:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Microsoft Edge...

I followed that sequence to "Microsoft" and there was no "Microsoft Edge" in that drop down. I'm not advanced enough to go rooting around in the registry. I can follow a sequence of instructions. If my computer doesn't bring me to the place the instructions say it's supposed to - I'm done.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

HKEY_CURRENT_USER is the place.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
Bleach Bit is also a good option. System Ninja as well.

I used CCleaner for many, many years but recently it's become more trouble than it's worth.
I downloaded the 10Bit Advanced software before being told it was Chinese and stealing from Malwarebytes - so I uninstalled that and downloaded Bleachbit.
I just ran it and restarted my computer. Some things are acting weird. I just barely restarted it and haven't done much exploring, but so far some of the things I've done aren't reacting or behaving like they normally do. Hoping I didn't mess anything up too bad - which is why I was kind of hoping someone had an easy fix for Ccleaner. I guess all good things must come to an end.

I despise messing around trying to get a computer to do what it's supposed to do. The nature of the beast I suppose. Just sucks.

This computer is a Dell Inspiron, Windows 10 Home OS, version 1903, (OS Build 18362.535). I think it's 4 or 5 years old. I don't do a lot of advanced computer stuff - emails and facebook basically. I don't need it to be a rocket, but I do like it when things work the way they're supposed to.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #15
Registered Member

Yeah... Things are screwed up now. I just uninstalled Bleachbit. I can't do anything with images on here now so I'll try to describe. If this is the wrong place to post please let me know. I don't want to start a new thread if I'm not supposed to.

When I go to facebook.com, only the blue bar appears at the top of the page. The rest of the page is light gray, almost white.

If I go to Google or Yahoo, the entire page loads. If I type in the search bar on google and leave it on the "ALL" the page loads okay with all the results. If I click on the "Image" tab, just the bars at the top and the rest of the page is blank (like facebook).

I've restarted my computer a couple of times and nothing has changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Press Windows key+S in the Search box type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter
When that is complete, in the Elevated Command Prompt type
SFC /scannow and press Enter
Old 12-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #17
Registered Member

I did the Dism scan and it came back

Error: 87

The online/cleanup-image/restorehealth option is unknown.

I ran the SFC/scannow anyway and it came back:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
Registered Member

I was having an issue with Ccleaner a few days ago not being able to clean out all files. Someone suggested I use Bleachbit, so I did. Now I have a separate issue - My computer is all screwed up. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be starting a new thread except that the issue is no longer about Ccleaner, so the title of the last thread is misleading.

It was suggested that I run DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth. When I did I got the Error 87 stating that the above option is unknown. I've been googling around and have discovered that it seems to be a fairly common problem, however there doesn't seem to be any answers to how I can resolve it. Some of the threads I looked at were from 2015 and a lot of them had to do with Windows 8.

My computer is a Dell 3650 Pentium G4400
OS is Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.535)

Any help is greatly appreciated - I don't want to have to buy a new computer 5 days before Christmas if I don't have to.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #19
Windows Tech Team

My System

Try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The following is not meant as a personal attack, but as instruction for the future. When you asked about substitutes for CCleaner and offered the information you did, it is reasonable for assistants to presume that you have some level of sophistication and have done configuration of CCleaner's own cleaning settings. When anyone offers any suggestions for substitutes, it is expected that you will go through the settings for that particular software and tweak things to emulate as closely as possible what you were doing with the software you had been using.

I've used Bleach Bit, System Ninja, and CCleaner and all can be safely used for "junk cleaning" provided you make sure that what they consider junk, and what you consider junk, are the same thing.

All of these utilities have the potential to "make matters worse" if used indiscriminately. If you are not sure about what settings to use, definitely ask follow-up questions. Also, all of them have a analyze/preview feature that will show you what they intend to remove. It's a good idea to run that, at least the first few times you use the utility, so you can see what will be nuked before actually taking that step. Once you are familiar with the utility's behavior, that becomes unnecessary.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #20
Windows Tech Team

My System

I just noticed that you list the DISM command, in two different locations, as:

DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth

There must be spaces before each of those switches:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See: Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10 for details on using SFC and DISM in conjunction and with the correct syntax.

I'd still suggest doing a Feature Update with the ISO file, or checking in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane to see if the Download and install now link is present for Version 1909. Either one will accomplish the same thing.
Closed Thread