Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Windows 10 installation issue

This is a discussion on Windows 10 installation issue within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've finally decided to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. What a nightmare. I managed to get it done on

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've finally decided to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10. What a nightmare. I managed to get it done on my laptop but my desktop installation really has me FUSTRATED!

I get a pop up with "Realtek PCEI card reader" is incompatible with Windows 10. First time, I clicked the Uninstall button. Fine. Message STILL pops up, now telling me to manually uninstall. Fine.....but..... I've erased every blessed thing I could find related to this!! I've deleted keys in the Registry, deleted/disable devices in Device Manager. No avail. I looked in the registry under the Incompatibility App key/folder...all that's left in there is CrapCleaner and my Gateway registation folder(s).

I've downloaded and used special uninstall programs. They aren't finding anything.

I've tried downloading and installing the latest driver from Realtek thinking possibly the latest driver would be compatible with Windows 10. Nope.

I've spent all day for the last 4 days trying to track down any files related to this program and HAVE HAD IT. Argh!!

PLEASE can someone help. Please....any suggestions/leads/advice. SO VERY appreciated. Thank you.
LuniLadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

You are going to have to disconnect the card reader cable either from the card reader or the motherboard.

Windows 10 is detecting very old hardware that is incompatible with Windows 10 and it will not install under those circumstances. In this case, the hardware is easy to eliminate by unplugging it.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply britechguy. I would love to unplug it....but could you give me some directions. I'm very leery of doing this. My desktop just has a huge screen...I don't know where the "guts" of the machine are....unlike years ago with a tower or a "box" that you could unscrew.

Thanks again
Luni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Please tell us the Make and Model # of your All In One computer?
Go to the Device Manager, under Memory Technology Devices, you should see your ReadTek Card Reader. right click this and Disable it.
Then you must delete the rtspstor.sys file.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...34bd0c5?auth=1
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniLadi View Post
I would love to unplug it....but could you give me some directions.
Right now, I would do as spunk.funk has suggested. It would definitely be very helpful to have the make and model of your computer.

I absolutely despise all-in-ones because they are difficult to service, as bad or worse than many laptops.

If you can follow his advice and essentially trick your machine into having amnesia about the existence of the offending hardware, without needing to do any physical disconnecting, that would definitely be your best bet.

I had not presumed an all-in-one was the format involved.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Please tell us the Make and Model # of your All In One computer?
Go to the Device Manager, under Memory Technology Devices, you should see your ReadTek Card Reader. right click this and Disable it.
Then you must delete the rtspstor.sys file.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...34bd0c5?auth=1
Spunk.funk, yes I read that whole Microsoft forum post before I came here. Nothing worked.

I've used windows explorer and 2-3 other uninstall programs to search for the "rtspstor.sys" file with no luck.

I did delete the card reader out of Device Manager. Now there isn't a memory tech device item in Device Manager. I have my webcam and Epson scanner under imaging devices and a "PCI device" under "Other devices" It says it's not installed but I disabled it anyway.

Here's a bit of info about my system:Gateway ZX6971 All in One
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
2.50 gigahertz Intel Core i5-2400S
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready

I am out of ideas. :(

Luni
Old 04-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Here is a long shot, boot into Setup (Bios) Go to Integrated Peripherals or Advanced. Look for Wifi if it is enabled, using your Arrow and Enter keys, Disable it.Save and Exit.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks spunk.funk, I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Do you mind explaining why "wifi"? I could disable wifi items in Device Manager which would be easier. I'd like to learn/understand your reasoning since I'm not following it.

Thanks again. I'll post after I try it tomorrow.
Luni
Old 04-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I was also thinking along spunk.funk’s lines, but had the card reader in mind and not the wireless adapter. Since this is an all-in-one, the card reader is most likely integrated into the motherboard and may not be detachable, so turning it off in BIOS is the best option forward.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

I am sorry, I meant to type Disable Card Reader in the Bios. I
Old 04-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Here is a long shot, boot into Setup (Bios) Go to Integrated Peripherals or Advanced. Look for Wifi if it is enabled, using your Arrow and Enter keys, Disable it.Save and Exit.
Booted into set up:
Advanced --> Intergrated Peripherals

I'm sorry but I didn't see anything that looked like "card reader".

Here are the items/status:
Onboard SATA controller E(nabled)
Onboard SATA module AHCI
Legacy USB suport E
USB storage emulation Auto
Onboard audio controller E
Onboard LAN controller E
Onboard LAN Option ROM D(isabled)

I nosed around in several of the choices but still didn't see anything I thought was a card reader.

I was so hopeful. I thought you nailed it. Made sense. <sigh>
Luni
Old 04-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

I have another idea, go to the Device Manager, expand Disk Drive. If you see Card Reader here right click and Disable it.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
Windows Tech Team

My System

And another idea: Try upgrading when disconnected from the internet and, thus, unable to have the Windows 10 installer check anything in the cloud.

If this warning is not built in to the installer, and it may not be, you would probably get the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 to work.

I have seen this trick used for other reasons, and once internet connectivity is restored there is no roll back to Windows 7, and any essential updates since the ISO was issued get downloaded and installed anyway. The offending device generally "disappears" as far as Windows 10 is concerned.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

Britechguy,

Wow, I really thought you had a great work around here with the internet disabled.

I disconnected fro the net and chose "don't upgrade drivers" at the installation but it still came up with the "needs attention" screen.

This is so incredibly frustrating!!

Luni
Old 05-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
Windows Tech Team

My System

Well, we're back to where I started out.

You are NOT going to be able to upgrade a machine that has hardware that is recognized as incompatible with Windows 10, and that's a good thing.

If you can come up with a way to disconnect it, and thus render it "not present" and "not detectable," you will be able to proceed.

If you can't, then you won't. It strikes me that this has to be a very old machine to be having issues with a card reader, as I successfully updated an ancient Gateway desktop with a card reader in it quite a while back without issue.

If you want to give your potential other assistants more data to go on, then please post a Speccy Snapshot of your machine as running Windows 7.
--------------------------------
Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications
1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.
2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.
a. Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.
You will then be presented the Speccy Main Window:

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I strongly suggest a clean install instead of in-place upgrade. The offending device will of course end up with no driver loaded for it, which won't be a problem to the system. You may have to use software to retrieve your Windows 7 product key beforehand. I also strongly suggest creating a system image backup of the current OS before doing the clean install of Windows 10.
Rich-M likes this.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
Registered Member

[QUOTE=britechguy;7776148]Well, we're back to where I started out.

You are NOT going to be able to upgrade a machine that has hardware that is recognized as incompatible with Windows 10, and that's a good thing.

If you can come up with a way to disconnect it, and thus render it "not present" and "not detectable," you will be able to proceed.

If you can't, then you won't. It strikes me that this has to be a very old machine to be having issues with a card reader, as I successfully updated an ancient Gateway desktop with a card reader in it quite a while back without issue.

If you want to give your potential other assistants more data to go on, then please post a Speccy Snapshot of your machine as running Windows 7.

britechguy,

Purchased my machine in Nov 2012 (I keep a file on every running machine along with a Belarc Advisor printout) Runs 24/7 every day since I bought it. My laptop is newer but this machine is still doing its job. Never gave me a problem. So.... 8 years this year....What is that in "computer" years?

Anyway, here's the Speccy info:

https://speccy.piriform.com/results/d...nWeWlBVpRwpaDL

As always...appreciate your time and help.
Luni
Old 05-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #18
Windows Tech Team

My System

Have you checked the support page for your specific make/model to see if you have the very latest device driver for that card reader? You've never mentioned exactly what machine you have, but that's the first thing I'd attempt. If it's older than the one issued by Realtek (March 2018) then I'd fetch the one issued by Realtek.

Other notes: Uninstall AVG before you even think about upgrading to Windows 10. At one time that was my antivirus/security suite of choice, but no more. It can create all sorts of issues during and after upgrade, and Windows Security as implemented under Windows 10 is a very good product.

6GB of memory is less than my suggested minimum of 8GB for a Windows 10 machine. You can do this upgrade with 6GB (I've actually done one machine that had 4GB) but if you can upgrade your RAM at some point I'd do it.

I can find nothing suggesting that this card reader should be incompatible with Windows 10, and really can't fathom what's occurring here.

Also, is a completely clean install of Windows 10 an option? If so, and you have (or get via something like Belarc Advisor) your Windows 7 key it can still be used to activate Windows 10 at no cost. I ask this only because it is, sometimes, a workaround. But if you've got a ton of software that you no longer have the install media for or that came preinstalled as part of your machine that you don't want to lose, it isn't.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniLadi View Post
Purchased my machine in Nov 2012 (I keep a file on every running machine along with a Belarc Advisor printout) Runs 24/7 every day since I bought it. My laptop is newer but this machine is still doing its job. Never gave me a problem. So.... 8 years this year....What is that in "computer" years?

Luni
I find it odd that Windows can't find a driver for something in your computer that you purchased in 2012. I assume the computer was new when you purchased it. I did look on your computer's support page and did not find any update for a card reader but there is a bios update for a UEFI bios for Windows 8. I would look into all the updates on this page for your computer, I'd also update the bios if it isn't already updated. If you still have issues then I'd suggest trying to upgrade to windows 8 first then to windows 10. My reasoning for this is that it lists support for Windows 8 but not 10. You may or may not have any luck going this route.

EDIT: I did notice your system has updates for a TV tuner card. I wonder if that card is what the system is identifying as a card reader. As far as I know windows doesn't natively support TV card tuners anymore.
I would try and see if disabling that in the bios helps any.
Madmaxneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:34 AM   #20
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
I find it odd that Windows can't find a driver for something in your computer that you purchased in 2012. I assume the computer was new when you purchased it.
It happens a lot, even for much newer hardware. The accelerometer in my 2013 Probook gave me a lot of grief moving to Windows 10 and upgrades thereafter, not to mention that the Probook is officially supported by Windows 10. I switched to an SSD and the accelerometer became useless, so it just sits disabled in device manager and Windows doesn't bother with it during upgrades.

Quote:
I did look on your computer's support page and did not find any update for a card reader but there is a bios update for a UEFI bios for Windows 8. I would look into all the updates on this page for your computer, I'd also update the bios if it isn't already updated. If you still have issues then I'd suggest trying to upgrade to windows 8 first then to windows 10. My reasoning for this is that it lists support for Windows 8 but not 10. You may or may not have any luck going this route.
The card reader is not listed among the Windows 8 driver updates on that website. This could mean the Windows 7 driver would work just fine on Windows 8, Windows 8 has a compatible driver bundled with it or a driver is available on the Windows Update catalogue. As for the BIOS update, the UEFI bios is for clean Windows 8 UEFI installation, not upgrades (from Windows 7).

Quote:
EDIT: I did notice your system has updates for a TV tuner card. I wonder if that card is what the system is identifying as a card reader. As far as I know windows doesn't natively support TV card tuners anymore.
I would try and see if disabling that in the bios helps any.
I've never heard of a TV tuner card from Realtek. The Realtek card reader is listed for Windows 7, not 8. We also don't know if OP's unit has a TV tuner or not. Not all units have them, and as you can see, there are tuners from different vendors for the same AIO model.