Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Windows 10 help

This is a discussion on Windows 10 help within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone.* Just to let you know I've finally started working on my new laptop Win10 Home, set up today.*

Old 01-27-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone.* Just to let you know I've finally started working on my new laptop Win10 Home, set up today.* *Big thanks to everyone*@ TSF for every bit of very useful suggestions and guidelines for buying a new machine at the thread Upgrade of Win7.

This machine is very new for me and at the moment I am feeling very challenged technologically.* * I'll need quite a lot of tech*support from TSF from time to time.* Please bear with me.

Here's my first question*today concerning updates.* Attaching screen shot of updates & security. I'm not able to figure out how to update manually.* Or do I only have the choice of automatic updates.* Update icon at taskbar with a red dot says "your device is at risk of being out of date. It will need to restart to install updates. Select a time to restart."* *In my old laptop I would check and update manually.* But now, do I simply need to restart whenever I get this notification?* Please advise.*

For e.g. Soon after I logged in this evening, there was a notification to 'restart.' After restart begam, there was some update I couldn't recognize. On the screen it said "HP BIOS update ... Writing new BIOS image .. verifying new BIOS ..." This took 5 or 6 minutes. Then something else started that said "Flashing Boot Block." This took 30 secs and then I was able to log in normally.

Also I am trying to look around how to lessen the brightness. Feels too bright, hurts my eyes a bit, particularly while keyboarding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsf.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	325080  
Songbird_2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Sorry, I don't know why these asterisks are appearing in my post. I never used this symbol.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

In another program, see if your space-bar is creating asterisks. Perhaps you created a macro.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

In the screenshot you posted Windows 10 is automatically doing its first cumulative update, which is normal right after an in-place upgrade and these occur on many occasions during when any given Version is in place. It is Feature Updates that change the Windows 10 Version and build numbers.

Were it not in the midst of doing a cumulative update, which is indicated by that long list of updates and their "Pending download," or "Installing," or "Installed" status lines you would have a link at the top of the page that reads Check for updates. You would activate that link to manually check for updates and, if any were found, they would be initiated.

When it is the time for a Feature Update rollout, you will also see a Download and install now link that will be there when Windows Update has verified your machine is ready for that Feature Update. If you click it this will trigger the download and installation of that Feature Update. If you ignore it, the Feature Update will eventually be installed anyway, but this is typically weeks to months after it first appears.

There is no real reason to rush to get a Feature Update installed in the earliest days of its roll out. But if you know it's been rolling out for weeks or months before that Download and install now link appears, then just activate it.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Corday. OMG! How would I know this? So, that means Win 10 is still working on this device to complete downloading and installing various features and "pending install" will be automatic, right? However, scrolling down to the end of Windows Update page, here's another screenshot attached where I now see a "Install now" button with some setting options. These weren't visible yesterday, I'm sure about that. Would it be okay if I utilize these options now?

I'm also attaching another screen pic of Win Defender where "tamper protection" has not been activated during setup, don't know why and I saw it afterwards. Is there a reason for not activating it? Or, should I click the "turn on" button? It won't automatically activate .... will have to be downloaded I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tsf.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	325086   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsf2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	325088  
Old 01-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird_2016 View Post
Thanks Corday. OMG! How would I know this?
Just go into ant word processor and see what prints. You can test it here without posting

Old 01-28-2020, 04:07 PM   #7
Windows Tech Team

I have had no issues with machines on which I've enabled Windows Security Tamper Protection.

The Windows Update pane in Settings, Update & Security, presents what Windows 10 is doing with regard to updates much like Android does. There is a list of the updates themselves, whether they've downloaded (or not), whether they're pending install or are installing. This is becoming common.

If you want to see what has already been installed, or attempted to install and failed, then activate the View Update History button in that very same pane.

Optional Cumulative updates, such as KB4532695 which advances Version 1909 to Build 18363.628, are also presented via the Windows Update pane and almost never require the end user to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog and download by hand. Attached is the screen shot from the computer from which I'm typing that I took not even half an hour ago and have kicked off the download and install of that optional cumulative update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WinUpdate_OptionalCumulative.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	325090  
Old 01-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
I have had no issues with machines on which I've enabled Windows Security Tamper Protection.

The Windows Update pane in Settings, Update & Security, presents what Windows 10 is doing with regard to updates much like Android does. There is a list of the updates themselves, whether they've downloaded (or not), whether they're pending install or are installing. This is becoming common.

If you want to see what has already been installed, or attempted to install and failed, then activate the View Update History button in that very same pane.

Optional Cumulative updates, such as KB4532695 which advances Version 1909 to Build 18363.628, are also presented via the Windows Update pane and almost never require the end user to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog and download by hand. Attached is the screen shot from the computer from which I'm typing that I took not even half an hour ago and have kicked off the download and install of that optional cumulative update.
Should I click on 'install now?' I may then get the 'view updates' button. Neither do I have the green check mark, instead the yellow exclamation mark.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
Okay ....
Old 01-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Updates window seems okay now, after clicking on 'install.'
Old 01-28-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm trying to make Night Light permanent on the screen.

Settings - System (Display) night light enabled.
Night Settings - Schedule. Hours set by default are 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. ("turn on, turn off" respectively). Can this be changed/adjusted making Night light permanent?
Old 01-29-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Post #11 is a new issue. If this problem is solved go to the Thread Tools at the beginning of the thread and mark it solved. Then post the new problem in an appropriate forum.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Okay .. posted at "Other Windows Software" board.