Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Win 10 appears 'read only' to Linux

This is a discussion on Win 10 appears 'read only' to Linux within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a dual boot computer running Win 10 and Linux Mint 19. Up until a couple of weeks ago

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Win10/64 bit; Mint 19.2 Cinnamon-64, OS X El Capitan;

Send a message via MSN to XEyedBear Send a message via Skype™ to XEyedBear

I have a dual boot computer running Win 10 and Linux Mint 19. Up until a couple of weeks ago I relied on being able to copy from or paste to Win 10 NTFS files from Linux. Now I can only read NTFS files. Obviously I have made some change in Win 10 that denies write-access by Linux, but I have no idea what it is that I have changed.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

There is the possibility that the drive has the 'dirty flag' set to on, which would trigger a chkdsk at next run, this will lock the drive as read-only making it unavailable.

I'd recommend, boot into Windows, run a complete chkdsk across all the drives/partitions in Windows and once they all complete, reboot to Linux and check if you're able to write to it.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
There is the possibility that the drive has the 'dirty flag' set to on, which would trigger a chkdsk at next run, this will lock the drive as read-only making it unavailable.

I'd recommend, boot into Windows, run a complete chkdsk across all the drives/partitions in Windows and once they all complete, reboot to Linux and check if you're able to write to it.
I frequently boot into Win 10, without any message suggesting that I should run Chkdsk. I have now done this explicitly, twice, on the only drive that is relevant (see later). The initial response to chkdsk is to inform me that the drive is in use by another process, giving me two options: dismount it or schedule chkdsk to run at the next start. Dismount fails because there is a paging file on the disk. Chkdsk runs very quickly at the next restart, with no errors reported.

Linux is still unable to get write access to that drive.

About my drives:
1. SSD with 2 partitions, 1 for each of windows (= 'C' drive) and Linux Root
2. HDD-1: small System Reserved partition; remainder of drive my Win 10 data partition (= 'D' drive).
3. HDD-2: Linus 'Home' partition and a Linux swap partition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Download HD Tune in my signature, not Pro. In the drop down arrow at the top choose each drive individually. go to the Error Scan tab. do a Full Error Scan not Quick. Each drive will take some time. If every block is Green, that drive is healthy. If any block is RED that indicates a bad sector. If you get more then one, the drive is beginning to fail, you do not need to complete the test if there are several RED blocks. Just replace the drive.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Login to Linux and unmount the NTFS partition and try to run a fsck from within Linux and see if there are any errors reported.

If this is still an issue, go with Spunky's instructions and test your Drive, there are chances of a corruption.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Download HD Tune in my signature, not Pro. In the drop down arrow at the top choose each drive individually. go to the Error Scan tab. do a Full Error Scan not Quick. Each drive will take some time. If every block is Green, that drive is healthy. If any block is RED that indicates a bad sector. If you get more then one, the drive is beginning to fail, you do not need to complete the test if there are several RED blocks. Just replace the drive.
Scan complete on both HDDS: no red blocks indicated. Linux still unable to obtain write access to Windows drives.

Where else should I be looking for changes to a system setting that I might have made, inadvertently?
Old 02-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

I don't know what you wizards on this forum did, or how you gained access to my computer (which is air-gapped most of the time), but now, this evening, as I test for Linux write access to my Windows data drive, I find that I am able to create a new folder, and a file withing that folder and edit that file. So, well done.....

However, one of the most important uses I have for this 'function' is to back-up a key file, created by a Linux app. to the windows data HDD for recovery purposes. But now Linux reports to me that this operation fails: "Error mounting device", followed immediately by the message "Error unmounting device". I have never seen this sequence before.

I have no idea what is going on.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Write these commands to Unmount the Volume, and then Mount it again https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/nfs-device-busy/
Old 02-13-2020, 03:58 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Write these commands to Unmount the Volume, and then Mount it again https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/nfs-device-busy/
I tried both methods in the referenced link (lsof and fuser); neither of them found any other user connected to or 'owning' the drive/directory I am failing to get write-access to from within a Linux app. I am also able to un-mount and re-mount the directory at will from within the file browser in Linux Mint, Cinnamon (Nautilus ?) and mount/un-mount from the command line, with or without using the default settings in /etc/fstab.

Nothing I do allows my Linux app to write data to the windows-managed directory, but I can write to this directory from the Linux file browser.

Is this starting to look like a Linux problem rather than a Windows 10 problem ?
Closed Thread