Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

What's a good cleaning/junk program?

This is a discussion on What's a good cleaning/junk program? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Mainly for years, been using my computer to browse and trying to keep it clean but it is updated daily.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mainly for years, been using my computer to browse and trying to keep it clean but it is updated daily. There are some days i would download programs like itunes, other security programs, games etc...bloatware...I regularly scan my computer and thankfully nothing found so far but i'm worried about the remnants/leftovers of these bloatware because i uninstalled them. Anyway to clean it up? What other ways do you do to clean and keep your computer optimize?
wii_zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

https://singularlabs.com/software/system-ninja/

This one came highly recommended by a very reputable source here at TSF jenae.

As always, stay away from the registry cleaning plug in. This is true for any of the cleaning programs.
xrobwx71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrobwx71 View Post
https://singularlabs.com/software/system-ninja/

This one came highly recommended by a very reputable source here at TSF jenae.

As always, stay away from the registry cleaning plug in. This is true for any of the cleaning programs.
Safe to delete anything checked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Very. I've been using it on about 13 computers for over a year. Zero issues.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

System Ninja, Bleach Bit, and CCleaner all work well.

As has already been noted, regardless of the product, NEVER use a registry cleaner option if one is available.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

I only use Ccleaner. What options do you check and uncheck?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

I need some advice on optimization. Not only am i cleaning and keeping my system up to date but i want to increase it's speed, restart loading time, programs running smoother, deleting/deactivating programs, add-ons etc...you get it. I lost my list and forgot.

Can someone help me?
Old 05-31-2020, 05:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Also for updates, can i go over to device manager and individually check update?
Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 AM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wii_zil View Post
If you must use it, use the first option where you don't have choices, assuming you have the latest version.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
As stated, the first option in CCleaner only removes Temp files, leave the Default Checked. The other options on the left panel, like the Registry Cleaner you should not mess with, though their Uninstaller is a good part of the app. CCleaner was the goto program for years, but lately there is a time limit on the free version and they nag you to upgrade to the premium version constantly. System Ninja has less of a footprint and does a better job, and no nagging.
Updates are not given via the Device Manager, if you click Update Driver, it will just about always say You have the Best Driver already.
Do Windows Update regularly, don't wait for them to automatically load. Driver Updates are offered via Windows Update but they are not always compatible. It's best to download Drivers, if you need them, from the Computer/Motherboard manufacturer.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
I need some advice on optimization. Not only am i cleaning and keeping my system up to date but i want to increase it's speed, restart loading time, programs running smoother, deleting/deactivating programs, add-ons etc...you get it. I lost my list and forgot.

Can someone help me?
Winaero Tweaker is a good one. Have a valid backup of your drive/s before using it or at least a restore point.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:52 AM   #12
Registered Member

I have found that "cleaners" and "optimizers" are useless and could be harmful. Clean it yourself and keep it clean. If you have a mechanical hard drive, you might want to defragment using an advanced defragmenter like MyDefrag GUI. Choose the "Monthly" routine and point it to your system drive - usually C:.

BUT FIRST BEFORE DEFRAGGING, uninstall unneeded programs. Remove unneeded browser extensions. Remove 3rd party antivirus and malware products Windows 10 only needs the built-in Windows Defender and if you need something on Win7, use Microsoft Securoty Essentials. Only.

Also, free space by delete the contents of your TEMP folders. ATF Cleaner is a safe standalone cleaner that deletes TEMP folder contents but does not install.

Next, stop unneeded startup programs and auto-running tasks. Startup programs are in Task Manager and those can be disabled. There is another place auto-runs hide and that is in Task Scheduler>Task Scheduler Library located in Computer Management.

Next, run the built-in Disk Cleanup utility, choose the System Files option button and see if there are "Old Windows Installations" that is taking up hard drive space. Include that as well as the other items alrerady checked and run the cleanup routine.

Then defrag using MyDefrag4.3.1 on your C: drive using the routine called "monthly". This is for a mechanical hard drive only (don't defrag a SSD).

If you do all this manually you have done all you can do. Still bogging down consider reinstalling or getting a new system with at least a 3ghz processor, 8 GB RAM and a solid state drive. But even then, a new Windows 10 system/install needs to have things done to if manually to make it run well.
Sgayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Sgayres: Windows 10 checks for defrag automatically. It rarely or ever actually needs defragging. Things have changed drastically since the "early days".

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

The #1 rule about these program is to not mess with the registry unless you know exactly what you are doing. No guessing!

I've been using CCleaner for a long time. My primary use for it is to clean up the browser trash. Other things I have marked are MRUD's and recent documents. It's always done a good job for me.

Newer releases have a smart-cleaning function which I always disable. Otherwise, it will keep running in the background and put an icon in the system tray. I have enough background processes as it is now.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

Is there really any difference to use "Cleaning Apps" over disk clean-up that comes with windows? What does CCleaner or Ninja do differently?

I am curious about why not mess with the registry? If you make a backup, granted back-ups are never perfect could you not just restore it like a windows backup?

I would also like to know if programs like defragler do anything better or different then windows defrag?
XXLMandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #16
Windows Tech Team

My System

Third party cleaning utilities definitely dig in to some "darker corners" and user temp data that Windows disk cleanup does not.

You can crash your system such that it will not boot if you screw up the registry, so if you have any intention of doing registry edits taking a backup is essential first, though it can be a PITA to restore it if it causes a non-boot condition. There is a difference between doing a registry edit because it's needed (and there are occasions where it is) and running "registry cleaner/optimization" tools. The latter have never, ever been shown to have any demonstrable positive effect on system performance when independent tests have been conducted. When people ask about using same, my standard response is to refer them to this: Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities.

It's very difficult to say whether Defraggler is better than the built-in Windows drive defragmentation utility. These days, with the ubiquity of SSDs, it's becoming a non-issue anyway, as one does not defragment those. At one time I used Defraggler, and while there was nothing to dislike, there was nothing compelling, either. Since Windows has taken care of automatic defragmentation on fixed HDDs for ages now I just let it do its thing.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:

Can someone help me?
Well if you clean the PC regularly a fresh install of windows might help speed stuff up. Back up what you got and format the HDD. Also going from HDD to SSD will be better for loading times/boot. Also some cases more RAM would help depending on what you do on your pc.
XXLMandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks for all of your help!