Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what the h@LL did AMD upgrade? my laptop has lost everything

SOLVED 
848 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jillocity 
#1 ·
Not even sure where this request belongs. AMD kept popping up saying do an upgrade, i kept saying no...today when i turned it on, it did the upgrade anyway, and everything from my desktop is gone...all my folders with my camera pics, all my folders with correspondence in them, things i go to regularly...my taskbar contained nothing but internet explorer until i downloaded chrome...all my passwords that chrome "remembered" for me, gone. What the hell? Is there any way for me to return what i had? Do i have to do a "restore"? Thanks for any help you can give...the explorer shows "most used" as get started, sway, people, calculator, alarms and clock, and shipping tool. If i wasn't so pi$$ed off, i'd laugh at that. :angry:

#2 ·
If you go into Windows Explorer to your C: drive and go to Users, then your user name do you see your files?

You may be logged into what is called a temporary profile which is basically a new user. This can happen when a user profile is corrupt and Windows needs to create a temporary user so you can log in.

#4 ·
AMD CCC is a legit program, it's part of the driver package for AMD video cards.

In some cases, rebooting or shutting down and restarting will fix the issue.

If it doesn't the fix involves making changes to the Windows registry which, if done incorrectly, can make the system unusable.

I'd strongly suggest having someone who has experience with this issue fix it for you.
If you want to do it yourself:

Try Method #1:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

Similar fix with video:
Windows 7 Always Logs On With Temporary Profile - Windows 7 - Windows 7

You could try to use a system recovery point and restore back a few days to see if that resolves the issue prior to trying the registry fix but the registry fix is usually pretty easy and fast.

System recovery point:
Restore system files and settings

#5 ·
first i'll try the shut down and restart method...then, if all else fails, i have a tech who might have an idea how to handle it...it's like auto mechanics though, try the cheapest (in this case simplest) fix first...i will revisit and look at the links you've offered, and i truly appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.