Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

What is the proper way of shutting a laptop running windows 10?

This is a discussion on What is the proper way of shutting a laptop running windows 10? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am using this new laptop after my desktop running windows 7 stopped being supported by MS. It is

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By britechguy

Old 01-19-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I am using this new laptop after my desktop running windows 7 stopped being supported by MS.
It is an Acer aspire R 15.
When I am done I usually just fold the top down and that's it. At the next session I logged back in since it shut down.
I often leave windows open that I am working on.
Do I have to close all the windows and shut it down when done?
I used to leave my desktop on all the time.
The laptop wants my pin everytime, anyway to prevent that?

Thanks a lot

Pat
vaindioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Personally I would not leave it on 24/7

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

The way of controlling what happens on a laptop when the lid is closed is the same under Windows 10 as it had been under earlier versions:

Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what closing the lid does link. There are separate dropdowns for when the laptop is running on battery and on AC power. I sleep my machine when I close the lid. But most times I do exactly what you've always done: just leave it open and running. If I'm not leaving home I have no reason to even sleep it, and I have the screen turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity.

If you want to stop being nagged to enter your PIN or Password upon awaking from sleep:

Settings, Accounts, Sign-in Options pane. Then change the dropdown under the Require sign-in section to "Never." This only applies when waking from sleep or hibernation, not when the machine has actually been shut down. You will always be prompted for a PIN or password when bringing the machine back up from a shutdown or when you do a Restart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
My desktop running windows 7 stopped being supported by MS
You can upgrade your computer to Windows 10 for free using your Windows 7 Product key.

The sleep option is basically for a person that uses the laptop throughout the day and closing the lid while you do something else and coming back to it later. If you are going to use your laptop for a few hours and then close it and not open it again for another day or two, it would be suggested to power it off to save electricity etc.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You can upgrade your computer to Windows 10 for free using your Windows 7 Product key.
You don't even need a product key to do an in-place upgrade from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 to Windows 10.

I now have multiple confirmations that the free upgrade still works now that the drop-dead date for Windows 7 has passed.

See: Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

The only difference between a Repair Install/Feature Update on a machine already running Windows 10 and an in-place upgrade, as far as the steps go, is that an in-place upgrade is occurring on a machine that is not yet running Windows 10.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi Brian, I think spunk knows this, he probably meant that windows will use the win 7 product key to activate win 10.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #7
Windows Tech Team

Whether or not he knows it, the OP very well may not.

I cannot count the number of times I've seen questions come back when there is no key known, so I make a point of making it known that no key is necessary. It's as simple as that.
Stancestans likes this.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

I should have said, if you are upgrading from Windows 7, you will not need to type in your Windows 7 product Key as Windows will recognize it and use that for the upgrade. If you are doing a Clean install on an older machine without the UEFI Bios, you will need to type in your Windows 7 Product key during the install of Windows 10. If your computer has UEFI Bios, you will not need to type in a key as the key will be held in the Bios and recognized automatically.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have read and heard that to upgrade from 7 to 10 might create just problems for the computer.
I read it online and was going to bring my PC to geek squad to upgrade to windows 10 and they said they wouldn't do it as there are big chances the PC won't work at all after that.

Thxs for the answers

Pat
Old 01-20-2020, 04:28 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Well, me, and several hundred, if not thousands of readers of this forum, have safely upgraded their computers to Windows 10 in the last 3 years with little or no problems.
As always, you should have a solid backup or even better yet a Disk Image of your Windows 7 computer saved to another drive on the slight chance that something may go wrong. With an Image file of your computer you can safely return to the previous Windows 7.
FYI, Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and will not get any more Windows updates or security patches, so there is no reason not to upgrade to Windows 10/
Old 01-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #11
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
. . . Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and will not get any more Windows updates or security patches, so there is no reason not to upgrade to Windows 10.
I'd go beyond that and say it's insane to stay with Windows 7 on any machine used as a "daily driver" in in contact with cyberspace. And I've explained exactly why in this message, on topic, Security Update Question.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who plans to stay in the Windows ecosystem for the long term is going to have to go to Windows 10. The writing is already on the wall now for Windows 8.1, although it's got a couple of years left.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ok thanks I will update it to windows 10. Spunk I know WIN 7 is not supported anymore, that's why I have this windows 10 laptop now.

Pat
Old 01-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Sorry we got off topic, just letting you know your desktop doesn't have to be abandoned.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry we got off topic, just letting you know your desktop doesn't have to be abandoned.
Spunk thxs for the help again. You have helped me many times on these forums and I am very thankful for that.
I will back my old desktop up (Disk image?) Saturday or Sunday then I will go on from that.
I will probably start a new thread in the forum so I can get some help as I will be in unfamiliar waters.

Pat
Old 01-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There is nothing to it.
If your Windows 7 is in good order, once your safely backed up, Go to this web site https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 choose Update Now, it will ask if you want to keep your files, say yes and let it do it's thing. That's it.