Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

w10 calculator stopped working.

This is a discussion on w10 calculator stopped working. within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a (bad or good, depending on political leanings) habit of popping up the calculator and checking figures I

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have a (bad or good, depending on political leanings) habit of popping up the calculator and checking figures I run into while browsing the internet.

Yesterday, calculator was working fine, This morning when I attempted to use calculator, the tile went dark for a second then back to bright and 'calculator' never showed up.
I tried to open calculator by directly clicking on calculator.exe in c:program files/windows apps/blah blah who really gives a flying, um calc and got the message "you don't have permission'.

Plenty of alternative calculators available, so it's not critical, I'm just wondering what happened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Windows Standard Calculator is located at C:\Windows\System32\Calc.exe
Or you can press the Win Key+S and type Calc in the Search box.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, probably needs re registering. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy ALL the cmd text below, and right click anywhere in the cmd window, select paste the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter.

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsCalculator*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

Restart computer.

Old 12-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Coincidence, Wed. I had to re-register Cortana since no search function worked in the Start Menu. It didn't work doing it twice. Nothing Thurs. On Fri. everything was back to normal. The mysteries of Windows.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, probably needs re registering. Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy ALL the cmd text below, and right click anywhere in the cmd window, select paste the cmd will append to the prompt. Press enter.

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsCalculator*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

Restart computer.
This gave me an error:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
error 0x80004005: The Visual Elements extension failed while processing the Notification element.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 94ed8785-7ce4-0000-859e-ed94e47cd301 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 94ed8785-7ce4-0000-859e-ed94e47cd301
At line:1 char:94
+ ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

I installed the w7/8 version of calculator, so it's more trying to find out what happened than a need to get it up and going!

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You might have tried as an alternative, registering all the apps following Jenae's procedure: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Anyway, your solution works and the calculators' interface is familiar to you.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Funny, it just decided to work today.
Closed Thread