Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Virtual OS?

This is a discussion on Virtual OS? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, Can I install say XP virtual inside Windows 10, to run a printer that only has XP driver?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joeten

Old 03-31-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lucidoobe

Hi All,

Can I install say XP virtual inside Windows 10, to run a printer that only has XP driver?
lucidoobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

Have a read of this whilst you wait for a reply.

windows xp legacy support on Win 10

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

This is one way https://helpdeskgeek.com/virtualizat...hine-for-free/ if you wait others may have a better idea.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

I would certainly see if the driver still happens to work under Windows 10. Shockingly, a rare few do, and if they do it's far easier that way.

Setting up a virtual machine won't do you all that much good if you intend to try to print from what's Windows 10. A virtual machine is what it sounds like, and it behaves as though it is entirely separate. I installed an XP VM just for fun to see if I could do it using Oracle VM VirtualBox but have not ever actually used it, as I abandoned XP the very moment I could.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
This is one way https://helpdeskgeek.com/virtualizat...hine-for-free/ if you wait others may have a better idea.
Having played with all of this, unless you have an XP license to keep the install activated it's an exercise in futility anyway.

I know that there is the very rare instance where a piece of expensive and esoteric hardware, say a huge format printer, might be worth going through all sorts of gyrations to keep going.

But if it's an old HP LaserJet, dump it and buy its modern equivalent. Monochrome laser printers from Brother, Canon, HP and more are available at low prices.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:53 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

It does not hurt to show the OP what is involved in order to achieve the idea, whether it is the best route for them is their choice, a new printer is the better choice but as things stand at present getting one may not work.
Stancestans likes this.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
It does not hurt to show the OP what is involved in order to achieve the idea, whether it is the best route for them is their choice, a new printer is the better choice but as things stand at present getting one may not work.
I never said that it hurt, nor implied that it did.

Folks turn to these sorts of forums because they generally do not know even a few of the ins and outs of what they're proposing to do. I was once in exactly the same boat. And very often those proposals are not the best idea. To me, part of my obligation in participating in venues such as this is to give advice such that "the big picture" is taken into account.

Using a WinXP VM, under Windows 10, to have an XP driver printer with the intent of printing from Win10 simply doesn't work in any convenient or functional way. The VM is like its own separate world. Yes, there are ways to get files from the real machine to the VM for printing, and if I were in a real pinch (as in no other option existed) I might try it. If any other option exists I would not, plain and simple.

There's nothing wrong with presenting that information. The OP can do with it what they please. None of us can force anyone to do, or not do, anything.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model# of the printer?
In Windows 10 Go to the Manufacturers Download Drivers site and type in your Make and Model#. The drive may come in as a Zipped file, Extract the drive file to your desktop or download location. With the USB cable not plugged into the computer end, Open the driver file and Right click Setup.exe and choose Properties/Compatibility tab. Here make the driver compatible with Windows XP. Put a check in the box for Run As Administrator. Apply and OK, now double click Setup.exe to run the driver. During the Install, it will tell you when to plug in the USB Cable.
If it fails, then you will need to install a Virtual Machine of XP and install the driver on to that to run the printer. I don't think that the printer will be available by the Host of the VM though? I could be wrong about that.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #9
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
I don't think that the printer will be available by the Host of the VM though? I could be wrong about that.
My experience with other aspects of running a VM strongly suggests that this will be the case. They are "their own little worlds" and it's as if the real machine on which they run do not even exist.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lucidoobe

I think I will give it a miss. I gave the Lexmark printer away with a Linux mint PC that it ran perfect on. Thanx for all the feedback.
lucidoobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:07 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Probably a good decision.