Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Video card is having 3 ports.....

This is a discussion on Video card is having 3 ports..... within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. . XPS 8930 Dell CPU Tower ( Win 10 Pro ) with a Video card having dual ports... . This

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By joeten
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Win 10 Pro, 2004 Ver. ( updated till today ) June 18, 20)

XPS 8930 Dell CPU Tower ( Win 10 Pro ) with a Video card having dual ports...

This is how, my CPU looks from back, for its Video card,...( NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Card )

Black cord is HDMI, and that feeds my Primary/Main Dell Monitor, of my PC

White cord is DVI, and that feeds my Secondary Dell Monitor, of my PC

My question is,...

* You see a third Optical port(?) next to it. What it is for ?
* Can I run a third Monitor also, from that?
* Is it an alternate of HDMI, that I can use either/or?
* Can I give that feed to the new UHD/QLED Smart TV that I am going to buy?
* What kind of cord do I need for that? ( From optical to HDMI feed ? - Towards a TV or Monitor of PC )

I was told that ( Dell ) , I should ideally use the wire from that optical port for my Main Monitor , as that connection ( Optical ? ) is even more advanced, sharper image creator than even that black HDMI wire !!

Any comments, about that third port, please ! Thx in Adv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

It is called a Display Port (DP). It has higher resolution then HDMI, it can view 4K Video. Yes, you should be able to use it for a 3rd monitor if you have monitor with a Display Port input or an Adapter (ie) Display Port Female to HDMI Male
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3694-4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	325202  
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Will that 3rd Monitor / TV will get feed
looking just like , the 1st monitor or 2nd ? ( in below picture )
My Primary Dell Monitor is 27" Dell, Model U2410. Secondary is G2410 - 24" or so..
It has that Display Port on its back. I just checked.

So, would it be wise to buy that cord ( though, never saw anywhere, if it's sold,.. also all Radio shacks, in my state are closed ) ,

Just wondered, if that port is coming in new Samsung UHD/QLED smart TVs, or not,.....
and If I could outlet the PC's CPU's feed ( to watch DVD player, Hauppauge 950Q piece's TV outfeed, Netflix feed, Google Chrome Browser's VPN used site's feed,....of certain free channels/Apps,.... etc to the eventually newly bought TV's monitor !

Primary and secondary Monitors,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 01:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

You would want to replace the older DVI cable with the Display Port cable, much higher resolution.
No one buys electronics from brick and mortar stores anymore.
You buy them at online stores Amazon, Ebay, Or Newegg If you need it right now, then go to Best Buy or Fry's if you have one near you, but you will pay more.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yup, I found that cord on e-bay and walmart both, also it comes with one end of DP and other HDMI, too..
Agree. I buy most of the stuff on-line too, but also sometimes it was just an extra help n' advantage,..... to find the right item in hand,... and you see it before you buy it and if did not work out, then return to radio-shack ( my next door ) ,… !! but now whatever the items come, there remains loads of annoyance to return ( S/h/paper/postage/mail/stamp/ handling/travel to PO/UPS store/returning/stocking/shipping fee....etc. )
My secondary Monitor, G2410 Dell has only DVI and one older port,
No HDMI/DP.
So, no luck, but I will buy that cord anyway, for either my Main Monitor ( U2410 ) or new TV.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

If you have a DP Port on your monitor, and the Video card, then just get a straight DP cable, no need to get a Hybrid DP/HDMI cable. You would only get that if your monitor only had HDMI. Walmart has those.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

By the way,...

While we are talking about diff. ports ( USB / HDMI / Micro HDMI ( male and female ) / DP / Ethernet ( Male and female ) / LAN / WAN / Dongle ports for wireless Keyboard or Mouse,( On PC/Laptop/Streaming device boxes , VOIP phone boxes from Vonage, Verizon, Ooma, Obihai, Magic jack , Nettalk,.. etc ), SD Ram card's slots on PC Monitors and various devices,.. Many Android Streaming media devices ), Wireless thumb drive related wifi ports on almost all devices, including routers and cable Modems,.. ) USB wall charger pieces for Cell phones... related,.......etc )

On a little side track, I am always confused and still have no answer or clear cut know-how, about how these all ports work on diff devices that I have,.... How far they are interchangeable by converter Adapters, What about the voltage/Amp specifications they maintain it or not (?)
For example,...

I have original ooma classic hub VOIP box, also OBIhai ( 200/202/302 model ) VOIP phone-box device, that has few ports for Ethernet LAN/WAN,..also has that "dongle" USB port for wireless/WiFi Thumb device , also USB port to charge phone(?) , ........ and confusing SD Ram card's ports,...
My PC has many USB ports that can either play keyboard/Mouse/ external HDDs, and even can charge cell phones ( will they charge with right voltage and Amp required by that device ? ) ,.. can play my Hauppauge 950Q in USB and watch TV ( either local channels or Comcast/Verizon ) on PC,..., and many other devices,...
My Car's Jump starter ( jumbo box ) has extra USB ports to charge your mobile phones or some devices related to USB ports, so is with your Car Cigarette lighter and adapter pieces available for that,... ( how you know, they would deliver, proper voltage and Amps in order, to not to, damage my devices or itself ?
My cable Modem router has extra USB ports which may be used for extra USB/flesh drive storage? / Dongle piece for Wifi (?), for charging Cell phones(?) , .. I have no idea, ( so is with my OBIHAI and OOMA VOIP phone boxes ) and/or confidence that it may or may not damage my devices,... as my two cell phones has it's own Wall charger units it came with, which has diff. Voltage and Amps specified on it.
I saw tons of vdos on diff. Android streaming device boxes for your smart TV,.... they have also all kind d of male/female micro HDMI ports ( Say, Amazon fire TV stick / Roku Box / Xiaomi Mi box / NVIDIA Shield TV Pro Box / Apple TV box / Google ChromeCast Stick / Skystream Three plus TV Box / Jadoo streaming box...etc.
The point is, they have all various ports as I mentioned in the first para here,.... these port sometimes are used to charge, sometimes for taking feed in, sometimes for feed out,.... sometimes for WiFi connections,.... Sometimes for even running your wireless Mouse and keyboard,...or hugh external HDD or Game device to be connected,...!!
So, what is the science? How do you know what else it can do ? Can you convert it to anything you like?? Is it for taking feed in ? or giving out? Also with many other third-party adapters, one can covert it from Coaxial to Ethernet, Micro HDMI female to Ethernet male or female to USB male and female,... to even, pulling powers from the wall and what not ? Sometimes, I saw people using those minor ports ( micro HDMI ) from Roku box / Amazon Firestick,... plugging even big wireless keyboard and mouse and then operating on TV Screens of smart TV, via typing from keyboards, pointing an arrow from mouse of PC,.... Sometimes even connection a hugh external HDD of say 3+TB to a very tiny firestick's mirco HDMI port ( and thus extending its storage capacity in hundreds of GB ) ,..... Sometimes even using adapter and converting to a diff. port of USB and attaching a 64+ GB thumb drive to it for addition storage, ( when initially those streaming boxes came with only 8 GB of its own storage capacity ) ,.. and what not !!
The question is,
which port can be converted to which port ( by an adapter piece/wire ) and what kinda devices can be to plugged in afterwards ? ( where is the Limits/ specification/ Power drawing Caps ? ) Is it for pulling power/feed-in or feed-out? how do you know? Will it damage to that or the other connected device or not ? - where is the line or specifications shown before you use any device to that, and it can or can not damage to it ?
I am having a jumbo Peak Car jumper box , I keep in my car to fight hard winters , but I remained always scared to charge my Samsung phones from it, as it may/may not damage the phone, same for charging my phones, from PC's USB ports !!
If it is so, ( ports can be converted and can be used for any various purposes - feed in / feed out / power charging ), why my smart TV can not give a feed to my PC's / laptop's monitor via HDMI to HDMI wire, for which both have same ports? Why the feed is always from laptop/PC to Smart TV when wire of HDMI connects them,.. and not the other way round ?
Some streaming box devices / VOIP phone box devices have even, SD card slots ( just like many Monitors ) and hence Micro SD ram card, reading and writing capacity,...
Where is the Limit or specifications that, you can convert this port to this only or is it meant for feed-in or feed-out,..... and whether or not it will damage the connected device or damage itself, or not?
I have seen many YouTube videos for all kind of different streaming devices, and all more or less ports on those and the activity they can do, is quite confusing, scary and un-trustful...

For example, I watched couple vdos on amazon fire TV Stick 4K, and it comes with a only very tiny micro HDMI port on it and people use that port with other adapters, 3-in 1 Ethernet wire set , and what not and it's been used for so many purposes that hard to believe or imagine......
NVIDIA Shield Pro, Gaming and streaming device ( Best of all and expensive ) comes with so many such related ports, and what it can do and can not do,.. ( Can you attach your 6GB External HDD as extra storage (?) / Your mouse/Keyboard with dongle, Any hand-held game devices,...be attached to it (?) Can you change its RAM and add more Memory(?) - these all questions, makes me total confusing,.. as I could not understand the ports' limitations and Capacity yet, perhaps,.. :(
Any comments, throwing lights, will be helpful please ! Thx.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Oh how I miss Radio Shack.......
Old 02-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

1. Do you have a cell phone or Land Line with an unlimited Long Distance. If so, then VOIP Box is obsolete. The LAN/WAN and USB dongle are to get an Internet connection to make a VOIP call.
2. Streaming boxes usually connect with a Proprietary cable some micro HDMI or DP etc
3. The point of adapters is to connect to a more universal input. (ie) if the device you are connecting has a mini HDMI or DP port, but where it is being plugged into has a standard port, then you need an adapter or hybrid cable. The same if your video card only has DVI and VGA but your monitor has HDMI and DP. So, the limit is just for In/Out.
4. As far as charging from a car adapter, if the instructions don't include your device, then it won't work, also if you don't trust it, then don't use it. But if it has worked in the past then go ahead, it may not charge your device fully, but may be able to charge enough for an emergency.
5. SD card slots are for SD cards that you have saved videos on you want to watch on that device.
6. As for the iNvida TV device: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv-pro/
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

To add on what spunk.funk said, there always are limits to what a device can or cannot do, what it can or cannot support/be used for and there's always a possibility of damaging it by using or trying to use it for purposes for which it was NOT designed, and by using it in a way other than the recommended. Official specifications/feature lists for a device will tell you what it can do, or what it was designed to do. The user manuals will tell you how you should use it.

For example:
*Just because there are USB ports on computers doesn't mean you can connect two computers via their USB ports with a male-to-male cable!
*My phone's charger looks just like any other phone charger, but I have seen it render the touchscreen of three different phones unusable due to a fried motherboard, despite having forewarned the users about the charger's unusual specifications (it's a super-fast charger, with variable output and load detection) which is designed to safely work with the charging system/circuit of my phone. They ignorantly dismissed my warning saying it was just a charger like any other, and that they have used other chargers countless times.
*a photo printer may have an SD card slot for printing photos stored on an SD card (perhaps from a digital camera) directly, without using a computer to send the print command. This doesn't mean you can use the SD card slot to expand the built-in storage of the printer, or to play videos from the SD card via the printer's LCD display!
*The hdmi port on a laptop is an output port, while the same port on a monitor or TV is an input port. You use an hdmi cable to send a video signal from the laptop to the monitor/tv, not the other way round. You can't send a video signal from the TV to the laptop's screen, to use the laptop's display as a monitor, and if you find someone claiming to sell some device that will enable you to do that, then you are getting duped and shouldn't buy any of it.
* You can't solder a sim card to a USB cable or ethernet cable and use it to get free unlimited 5G Internet!
* You can't just use ANY USB device on any machine just because it has a matching USB port.
* While most TVs now have a USB port and the ability to play media from a USB storage device, not all TVs can power up an external hard drive, they don't play/support ALL video and audio formats and they don't support ALL filesystems. I've seen folks giving negative reviews on TVs because it gave an "unsupported audio" message when playing a video file, and wouldn't produce any sound! Mostly, they know nothing about the format of the audio/video file they are playing. Advising them to convert the video to a supported format just makes things worse!

I could go on all day with more examples, but I hope you get the message. Each device out there is designed to do something a certain way, and there always are limits. Deviating from normal/proper use, and use of unsupported peripherals/addons pose a risk of damage. You can't deviate from normal/proper use of a device and expect a guarantee that nothing will go wrong or that it will work the way you want it to. That's being unrealistic.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yess,.. the Radioshack tech asstt. is closed now, ☹ JCP, Macy, Boscov already’ve closed their electronic store and dept, long ago,…☹ ( Ckt city/Officemax/Officedepot been closed in DE, long ago ), Costco/BJ staff is non-technical,.. and Kmart/Walmart/Kohl/Boscov have not trained expertise tech staff to assist in such li’l wires and ports, but such forums are a Boon and Bestbuy’s GigSquad dept. have expert staff to assist technically sometimes, may be Ckt city/ officemax /Staples and others too assist technically sometimes, besides your product manufactures. 😊
Good explanation from two MOD / senior gentlemen here ^ , I appreciate it.
My landlines , I rely more on them and they provide bill/tax free service of generating any bills from any phone service providers, and they get feed from my same cable-Modem router for free.
I have not have smart TV yet, and my struggle was to connect my recently bought ‘Amazon Firestick 4K’ to my above shown PC’s 27” main monitor ( not TV ) and was doubtful about its available ports, spundbar and other co-ordination system, Amazon tech guys were also skeptical saying yes and No,.., but, finally I made it to install it properly and now it works on my PC monitor, just like you connect firestick to a Smart UHD 4K TV. Problem solved.
Surprising thing is, few external HDD, couple of streaming device pieces, older Magic jack piece, older Nettalk piece, Hauppauge piece,..etc. does not need power source from Wall outlet, as they can draw it either from Computer or TV, while some devices needs it.
<<<<*The hdmi port on a laptop is an output port, while the same port on a monitor or TV is an input port. You use an hdmi cable to send a video signal from the laptop to the monitor/tv, not the other way round. You can't send a video signal from the TV to the laptop's screen, to use the laptop's display as a monitor, and if you find someone claiming to sell some device that will enable you to do that, then you are getting duped and shouldn't buy any of it.>>
^^ I agree to it, and the real TV feed( local channels viewing ) to divert it towards laptop/PC ‘s monitor from TV ( using HDMI/DP means.. ) is not possible. Btw, however I saw and read, sing the software called ” Visor ”, few can divert the firestick’s feed from TV to Laptop/PC.
. E.g.
Btw, what are these camlink pieces, and if their purpose is simply to convert the HDMI feed to USB adapter connection, why the price remains so higher ! https://www.google.com/search?client...cam+link+piece
Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh15 View Post
Btw, however I saw and read, sing the software called ” Visor ”, few can divert the firestick’s feed from TV to Laptop/PC.
Btw, what are these camlink pieces, and if their purpose is simply to convert the HDMI feed to USB adapter connection, why the price remains so higher ! https://www.google.com/search?client...cam+link+piece
Vysor is a remote control app that lets you view and remotely control an android device from a PC. It's not a screen casting/mirroring application, but it can serve that purpose since it enables you to view your android device's screen from a computer. Using remote control apps to watch video that's playing or streaming on a remote device may not be such a good idea though, because of how those remote control apps work. You are free to try and see for yourself if it's a satisfactory solution or not. In my opinion, I wouldn't go to all that trouble. Instead, I would just access the Amazon Prime Video streaming service directly from the computer's browser, or directly connect the fire stick to your computer monitor. If you have a TV or monitor that the fire stick can plug into directly, why on earth would you want to project the fire stick's video output to a computer through a remote control app, while it's connected to a TV!? It's total nonsense and pointless if you ask me.

The video you linked to covers casting a Windows 10 PC's screen to a TV, using the firestick as the wireless adapter and the tv as a wireless display for your PC, but NOT the other way around. It does NOT cast the TV's or fire stick's video to the Windows 10 PC.

That camlink device is pricey because it targets a specific niche of users like content creators and gaming streamers, and it'll probably be one of the cheapest components in their geeky arsenal! In other words, the camlink is not for everyone. Some people will find it to be a worthy investment. This article https://www.windowscentral.com/elgato-cam-link-review covers it well. Also check out https://www.techjunkie.com/amazon-fire-tv-stick-laptop/

If you bought a fire tv stick and all you wanted was to access Amazon Prime Video content from your computer, then you made the wrong purchase. There's a reason it's called a "TV stick". It's designed and intended for use with an HDTV that is not already capable of streaming content online (smart TV). You're probably thinking about using the camlink device to link the fire tv stick to your laptop and view its video output as a "webcam" feed on your laptop's screen. What would be the point of doing that? Is your intention to record/capture the fire tv stick's video as it streams, for offline watching? Even then, a cheaper capture card with hdmi input would work instead of the pricey camlink. Whichever the case, recording said streams is most likely a violation of Amazon's terms of service or copyright infringement (illegal), so you can forget about any help from us regarding the same.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
Registered Member

I think, there is some misunderstanding or miscommunication, here. Perhaps, I failed to explain the purpose properly.

1. I was talking about mirroring and getting the same feed of TV ( which is playing various firestick’s/Roku’s various Apps on TV ) to the PC/Monitor. Since, the other way round is pretty simple with any ordinary HDMI cord, for a feed from Laptop/PC to TV.

Whatever firestick/Roku plays, on TV, for some APPS may not be possible, by using your PC/laptop and going directly to their websites and start streaming vidoes ( unlike the simple cases of Prime, Netflix,… etc. where you can do it, on PC easily ) . The point was, let say, your 75” TV has many sticks/boxes in its back ( let say, you have even wired connection feed attached to the stick from your router and such,… ) on various HDMI ports, and you got a small laptop and while taking dinner in kitchen you can carry laptop with you in diff room and watch the TV feed ( using Visor app) without plugging off those wiring and stick/boxes from back of TV and connecting to laptop, or to a PC lying is a different room, and you can still watch live Oscar/Superbowl from a diff room/ kitchen while taking breakfast, without a miss.

Also, Firestick may have major chunk from their Amazon store ( prime stuff ) but still you can download other 10s of third party APPS, say, of Netflix, Hulu, Sling and tons of such special news/sports/wildlife/space and discovery/finance channels..etc so the point was how to watch those feed from TV to a small laptop or PC in an other room of house, without pulling in and out, those wiring annoyances,...
2. <<< It does NOT cast the TV's or fire stick's video to the Windows 10 PC. >>>
I think Vysor can do it :

I had no intention about recording/copying of whatsoever and for what purpose (?),..... as feed is free to watch, whenever you need once you are subscribed with prime/Netflix/hulu/sling or whatever. Just wondered how you can watch TV on any small Laptop or PC and that in a diff. room without extending cord/cables and taking stick w/ wiring in and out,...
I was just curious about the high price of that simple convertor piece from HDMI to USB. More than 130+ dollars just surprised me.

Thanks for yr insights.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Like I said, feel free to try Vysor (or any other solution for that matter) and see if it works for you or not. There's a difference between what "ought to work" and what actually works. A simpler and better solution for your example scenario would be to have a second tv in the kitchen, and an hdmi extender "network" setup to distribute a centralised feed from your various tv boxes/sticks to multiple TVs in different locations. Whether the tv sticks will work with the hdmi redistribution hardware is another matter altogether. In the end, it either works or not, so always remember that when you want to use something in a way other than how it was designed or engineered. Another option would be to use a video encoder to stream your hdmi video sources over a network (LAN/WLAN). One such setup is described here https://www.epiphan.com/solutions/st...-over-network/
I don't expect the hardware to be cheap, though. This is my last reply to this thread, as it has veered off the course of its original subject, but I hope your curiosity has gained a better heading.
rakesh15 likes this.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

rakesh15 in future please ensure that you fully explain what it is you are attempting to do , you far to many times leave out information that would be useful and save folks from being sent down the wrong path, the people here may be technically adept but they are not mind readers, you have to be clear and consistent with what you are attempting to achieve, posting after thoughts does not allow anyone to research and provide clear information or instructions, which is your habit.
rakesh15 likes this.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread