Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

very SLOW Shutdown and Sleep

This is a discussion on very SLOW Shutdown and Sleep within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer (see specs below) has recently started to take 3-4 minutes to Shutdown or to Sleep (and does not

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

My computer (see specs below) has recently started to take 3-4 minutes to Shutdown or to Sleep (and does not wake with mouse or keyboard.)
I have done the following:
sfc /scannow
and
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I have also run regedit and checked the various Wait Timers, all of which indicated 5000.

Finally, I did an in-place reinstall of Windows 10 which went very smoothly but the problem persists.

Fastboot is enabled and boot times are normal.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit v. 1909
CPU
Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz 64 °C
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 539MHz (6-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X58A-UD3R (Socket 1366) 36 °C
Graphics
VX2252 Series ([email protected])
VX2252 Series ([email protected])
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Gigabyte) 32 °C
Storage
476GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB (SATA (SSD)) 31 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 (SATA ) 33 °C
3726GB Western Digital WDC WD40EZRZ-00GXCB0 (SATA ) 28 °C
1863GB ASMedia AS2115 SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 31 °C
3725GB Western Digital WD My Passport 25E2 USB Device (USB (SATA) (SSD)) 32 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST i
Audio
Sound Blaster Audigy Fx
I believe this is not a critical problem but it sure is annoying and I would like to restore my pc to normal startup, sleep, and shutdown times.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Is Fast Startup enabled? If so, try turning it off and shutting the computer down afterward.

You can re-enable it if you so choose, but try shutting down at least once without having done so after you've disabled it to see if it makes a difference.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgash View Post
. . . I did an in-place reinstall of Windows 10 which went very smoothly but the problem persists.
And, for absolute clarity, are you referring to:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

or either one of these two:

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Fetch the Win10 ISO File

Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

I downloaded the latest Windows 10 1909 iso file and did a Repair Install, keeping all my files and programs.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
Is Fast Startup enabled? If so, try turning it off and shutting the computer down afterward.

You can re-enable it if you so choose, but try shutting down at least once without having done so after you've disabled it to see if it makes a difference.
I turned Fast Startup off and rebooted then tried shutdown and it was much faster! Bootup times are close to what I normally have expected.

There is still a problem with Sleep. It still takes over 3 minutes to go to sleep and the use of a mouse or keyboard does not wake from sleep.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

With regard to sleep, I don't know why it's slow, but I have seen this reported before and possible solutions suggested, so search this forum and web search as well.

But with regard to mouse/keyboard waking, double check your owner's manual. There are some laptops that don't respond to mouse/keyboard, but only a quick press of the power button. Of course, if yours always did respond to mouse/keyboard in the past, then something is up with your machine's normal state.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, sad to say, this slowing phenomenon is new in the last week. Up to that time I had no problems with sleep or shutdown.

Will keep searching forums and the Web.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team

My System

Well, if it's new within the last week, and since there was a cumulative update, if said update "didn't install quite right" that could be the problem.

I suggest you read through the pinned topic: Britechguy’s Standard “Windows 10 Revival Script”
Old 03-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, you can actually uninstall any update, you need to do this properly and you need to do it in the RE.

I have tried to make this as simple as possible, in your case it would most likely be the last update installed that you want to be rid of (instructions on how to get it back successfully are included)

Print out the attached document it really isn't too difficult.

WIN 10 UPDATES STUCK FORUM FIX.doc
Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi, I’d like to ask what is taking 3-4 minutes? What do you see on your screen.. BIOS or Windows 10 loading ? Could you deep explain, please? If not the BIOS, have you tried to boot the Windows in Save Mode? What’s is the speed difference?
Old 03-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm not sure you are asking the right question. My current problem is the time it takes to enter sleep. I just used a stop watch to check it and it took 2 minutes, 48 seconds.
When I click the Sleep button the screen immediately goes dark and the SSD led comes on and stays on without flickering until the pc finally goes to sleep.
Then I must hit the power button on the pc to wake even though my power settings allow either the mouse or the keyboard to wake from sleep
Old 03-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
With regard to sleep, I don't know why it's slow, but I have seen this reported before and possible solutions suggested, so search this forum and web search as well.

But with regard to mouse/keyboard waking, double check your owner's manual. There are some laptops that don't respond to mouse/keyboard, but only a quick press of the power button. Of course, if yours always did respond to mouse/keyboard in the past, then something is up with your machine's normal state.
Search of the internet led me to the information that power requests can interfere with sleep mode.
I ran powercfg -requests in command mode and got the following message:

[DRIVER] High Definition Audio Device (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0889&SUBSYS_1458A022&REV_1000\4&730555e&0&0201)
An audio stream is currently in use.

This is information about my Audio setup:
Audio
Sound Cards
HD Webcam C615
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Sound Blaster Audigy Fx
High Definition Audio Device
PlayOn Virtual Audio Device
Playback Devices
Speakers (PlayOn Virtual Audio Device)
Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
Speakers (Sound Blaster Audigy Fx) (default)
Recording Devices
Microphone (HD Webcam C615) (default)

I would like to stop this request but don't know how to do it. Any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thank you for your response.
I meant, if there’s slowness in shutdown, that’s mean there are files in startup. And your previous reply shows that. However, right click on the Task bar - Task Manager-
Start up - Uncheck Audio software; for testing purpose, you can enable it later if you want. Then, restart your computer and check Sleep option.

Quote:
I'm not sure you are asking the right question. My current problem is the time it takes to enter sleep. I just used a stop watch to check it and it took 2 minutes, 48 seconds.
When I click the Sleep button the screen immediately goes dark and the SSD led comes on and stays on without flickering until the pc finally goes to sleep.
Then I must hit the power button on the pc to wake even though my power settings allow either the mouse or the keyboard to wake from sleep
Old 03-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcexpertq8 View Post
I meant, if there’s slowness in shutdown, that’s mean there are files in startup. And your previous reply shows that. However, right click on the Task bar - Task Manager-
Start up - Uncheck Audio software; for testing purpose, you can enable it later if you want. Then, restart your computer and check Sleep option.
It turns out I have very few files enabled in startup and none of them have any audio components,
Old 03-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

Have a look to this video about fixing slow shutdown:

https://youtu.be/Vl0NADMLPEA

2- This for fixing slow sleep mode:

https://youtu.be/dGLNDS0XVvw

Let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcexpertq8 View Post
It turns out I have very few files enabled in startup and none of them have any audio components,
Closed Thread