Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

System High CPU Usage (15%-92%) in Task Manager, MiWalkPageTableRecursively in WPA

This is a discussion on System High CPU Usage (15%-92%) in Task Manager, MiWalkPageTableRecursively in WPA within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I was having a problem with my laptop where my fan would just start going crazy. I looked at

Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I was having a problem with my laptop where my fan would just start going crazy. I looked at the task manager and it said my System was eating up ~60% of my CPU power. I continued to follow this number over a few days whenever my fan would start getting loud, and it can get up to like 92% power which is insane.

I followed a guide online to trace the function calls on Windows 10 to see what's using so much of the CPU using Windows Performance Analyzer, and I traced most of the count of the calls in a one-minute period to be coming from a thread called "ntoskrnl.exe!MiWalkPageTableRecursively"

I'm familiar with page tables and virtual memory but I have no idea how to fix this problem or why it's happening. I'll include a screenshot of the full WPA tree that led me to this thread.

https://i.imgur.com/x296efx.png
Let me know if I can post anything else to help.

Windows 10 64-bit

16GB ram

500GB SSD

i7 7500U

Total virtual memory: 20.3GB

Available virtual memory: 2.55GB

Page File Space: 4.40GB
TheBral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2020, 03:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

I hope you find a solution, but if not, you might find that a useful utility called Process Lasso would give you back control. I've used it for many years and never had a problem with it. I'm uploading a screenshot so you can see what it looks like when running on my laptop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot - 18_04_2020 , 11_55_54.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	325546  
Brian_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try a Clean Boot. If that works, add one startup item or Service at a time until the Fans "go crazy" then you will know what the culprit is.