Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Strange scanner problem

This is a discussion on Strange scanner problem within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry, not exactly sure where to post this.. System is W10 Pro(build 18362_release.190318-1202.. not yet updated to 1909 yet. The

Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry, not exactly sure where to post this..
System is W10 Pro(build 18362_release.190318-1202.. not yet updated to 1909 yet.
The scanner in question is on a Canon MP495.. All latest drivers from Canon installed. It is being used Wireless.
Problem is, on initial install, the scanner software when started (Canon MP Navigator) and asked to scan, will immediately put up a message to the effect the scanner is warming up, and then within a couple of seconds, start the scan.. this is what it is MEANT to do.
After some time.. maybe a day, maybe a week, depending on when I next need to scan... when I start the MP Navigator and ask to scan it goes away and has a think for maybe 3 or 4 minutes after the "Warming up" message comes up. Then starts the scan. If I stop and then restart, still the sane result. Also, as the software has a feature enabling multiple scans in the one session, if I use this, I still have to wait for this long period for each scan.

I checked with Canon, but they could not offer a solution..
The way I fix is to remove the printer.. I do this from within the Device Manager.. Delete the appropriate Print Queue, and remove the device on prompt.. Then reinstall the driver.. it finds the printer on the network and installs it again.. and then everything works fine, or at least within that session.
I have not yet managed to isolate exactly when this stops responding. I originally thought after I installed a Windows update, but later found this was not the cause.. (stopped responding with no updates installed after the previous use)

Canon drivers used are
mp68-win-mp495-1_03-ea24.exe (driver)
mpnx_4_0-win-4_03-ea23_2.exe (MP Navigator)
The driver also installs a Network tool

I did not bother with the XPS driver as I do not use this to print anything anyway.... purely used as a scanner.
Any ideas??
jdsmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If the printer has been idle and hasn't scanned recently, it will take a while to warm up. After the first scan, it should work faster.
Rather then post in a generic Windows Forum, why not post in the Canon Forum. https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/P...ng/td-p/197818
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
If the printer has been idle and hasn't scanned recently, it will take a while to warm up. After the first scan, it should work faster.
Not so.. If I wait for the first scan to start, and then do a second scan after the first, I still have to wait again. When the scan works as it should, there is no real wait at any time... first scan after a reinstall with the printer started.. almost immediate, but with the problem, maybe as long as 3 to 4 minutes... I never timed it exactly but it was a LONG time... and the same for the second scan. it is almost as though it goes away to look for the printer.

Quote:
Rather then post in a generic Windows Forum, why not post in the Canon Forum. https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/P...ng/td-p/197818
I may just try that.. will let you know if I get anything from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Posted on that forum, got a couple of replies, and tried a few things too.. As I switch OFF the printer in between using for scans I am suspicious it needs to get reassigned an ip from the dhcp server.. a suggestion was made to reserve one against the mac address, to allow automatic connection again.
I originally used this wireless as it was inconvenient to position it close enough to the PC to connect USB.. but now I have decided that is the easiest solution, as there is no connection problem with that. I rearranged things so I can have this connected that way now.
I will add.. I am also going to test the reservation option to see if that works too, and will come back with the result.
Actually just tried before finishing this... Doesn't make any difference.. and have posted the results to the Canon site.. see if they can come up with another solution, as the reserved IP doesn't work at all.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You would only use an IP address to the printer if it was either plugged into an Ethernet cable or if you used Wirelessly.
If you have it plugged in Via USB locally to the computer, then it will not have an IP address
Old 12-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
You would only use an IP address to the printer if it was either plugged into an Ethernet cable or if you used Wirelessly.
If you have it plugged in Via USB locally to the computer, then it will not have an IP address
I do realise this... I said it was not convenient to set up my system with a USB connection.. I was trying to use a Wireless connection.. but this is what seemed to be a problem and the IP address related to that connection, not to the USB connection.
I would still like to find out what is causing this if possible so am persisting on the Canon site..
The testing I was doing related to the Wireless connection, so IP address was involved.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Wireless connections may be interrupted by large metal file cabinets, and refrigerator's or too many other wireless devices sharing the same channel.
Check Wireless Signal strength from you Canon Printer https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...t&id=ART109164
Old 12-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Wireless connections may be interrupted by large metal file cabinets, and refrigerator's or too many other wireless devices sharing the same channel.
Check Wireless Signal strength from you Canon Printer https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/ind...t&id=ART109164
Automatically did this.. first check before main troubleshooting , and then contacting here and Canon website...
Performance check gives Sig.Strength 97%, Link quality 100%... advanced test, see attachment... but still the same stupid delay, unless reinstalled prior to trying to scan.
Honestly seems to me to be some sort of software issue with the MP Navigator, as each time it is started, very slow to come on.. (using the wireless connection) and then this long delay with scanning. If I set it to USB and use that, no problem, quick start, and immediate response.

I bit the bullet, and changed things around here to accommodate the scanner set up to USB.. but I am still curious as to why there is this silly problem...
I don't like things unsolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Printer connection.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	324842