Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode

This is a discussion on Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Microsoft instructions shows a screen with a choice of startups when in the WINRe mode. The Startup Options doesn't show

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Microsoft instructions shows a screen with a choice of startups when in the WINRe mode. The Startup Options doesn't show up in my WINRe mode.I start it from a USB device. Does that make a difference?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-02-13_20-02-05.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	325196  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

I would think it does matter that you're starting from USB.

Try the "triple hard power down" method, with no USB drive involved, and you should get Safe Mode offered.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Maybe it's my age but I find the power down way too confusing. The msconfig worked fine. However, I have to remember to disable it before restarting as I restarted twice before realizing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman View Post
Maybe it's my age but I find the power down way too confusing.
I'm sorry, but I'm of "a certain age" and holding in the power button until the machine shuts off, three times in a row, is definitely not difficult.

I believe it's the third power-up where the recovery environment starts on its own, but it may be the 4th. I just keep doing a hard "hold the button" power off and restart until the menu presents itself.

It's about as simple as it can get, and I don't have to remember much of anything other than if you do a hard shutdown several times it will always trigger the recovery environment.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

If the computer is booted into Windows, you can hold down the Shift key and restart the computer from the Power icon and it should give you the Trouble Shooting menu.
If not, the Hard Power Down 3 times will always work, but Windows doesn't like it.l
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
If the computer is booted into Windows, you can hold down the Shift key and restart the computer from the Power icon and it should give you the Trouble Shooting menu.
If not, the Hard Power Down 3 times will always work, but Windows doesn't like it.
And I'll be the first to agree that if you are able to boot into Windows 10, the "Hold Shift while kicking off Restart from the Power Menu" option to get you into the trouble shooting menu is absolutely the way to go.

I don't encourage folks to use hard shutdowns, period, unless that's the only option to trigger the trouble shooting menu, and I should have been very clear about that. Sometimes it's the only option, and I've never had Windows complain when it was.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

The "three power off" is executed when the post screen shows up (manufacturer's name)? My power button doesn't like it (Lenovo IdeaPad 500). To be clear Hold Shift while kicking off Restart from the Power Menu"is performed at the login screen or from the desktop?
Old 02-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
If not, the Hard Power Down 3 times will always work, but Windows doesn't like it.l
OK people. Thanks for your help. This works! And I reboot into Windows! I My desktop is Classic Shell, looks like a Windows 7 desktop, and there's a button like the old start button that gives all the power options. Rebooting gets me back to regular Windows.

I going to mark this solved.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

For anyone still troubled with starting Windows 10 in Safe Mode look at this link.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
Closed Thread