Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Sleep mode not working

This is a discussion on Sleep mode not working within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Two things: After I updated to Windows 10, my laptop goes to sleep despite my setting that for 5 minutes.

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Two things:

After I updated to Windows 10, my laptop goes to sleep despite my setting that for 5 minutes. Then I have to log back in. Is this a bug?

I am no longer able to find the threads I have started on this site when I look at my account. Why have they stopped being listed? Now I can't find my posts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Run Windows Update for Updates and possibly the new build.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team

My System

Try this:

Right click on Desktop > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose when to turn off the display > Change advanced power settings > Restore plan defaults

If you had a plan set up previously, it might have gotten jacked up with the update.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Larsen View Post
Try this:

Right click on Desktop > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose when to turn off the display > Change advanced power settings > Restore plan defaults

If you had a plan set up previously, it might have gotten jacked up with the update.
I did that. Still no good. Specifically, I should be able to open the lid within 5 minutes and have the desktop on not the lock screen.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

check the screen saver settings. make sure their is no check in the box like picture attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screensaver.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	289449  

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

There was no check. Problem remains.

What seems to be happening is that the computer goes to sleep once I close the lid because I hear the fan turn off. I think that's why the log in screen comes up when I hit the power button. The problem is I have checked sleep settings and I have had 5, 10 and 15 min. delays, not 5 seconds!

Is the correction to be found in that area?
Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

when the computer is in sleep mode cant you just hit a key on the keyboard to wake it? you can check the sleep settings as in picture and change to no
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleep settings.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	289457  

Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
when the computer is in sleep mode cant you just hit a key on the keyboard to wake it? you can check the sleep settings as in picture and change to no
Yes but it goes to lockscreen rather than desktop. Why?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member

And why can't I find my threads under my account beyond old ones?
Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Have you specified a password is needed on wakeup? If so, that's why it goes to lockscreen. When searching, I see all your threads. Go to last page, they're earliest first. If you don't like the order, change it in your TSF Profile at Thread Display Mode

Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Have you specified a password is needed on wakeup? If so, that's why it goes to lockscreen. When searching, I see all your threads. Go to last page, they're earliest first. If you don't like the order, change it in your TSF Profile at Thread Display Mode
The problem is that it should sleep after 5 min. It doesn't. It sleeps immediately.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Did you choose "Balanced"? I've seen this problem when High Performance is chosen.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Somewhere in w10 settings there is a checkbox to enable the lock screen, think that timings etc are also available there.
there are a few places where you can make settings in two or more places for the same thing, can change settings in windows explorer itself as well as in preferences that effects the way it displays files and folders, often they cancel each other out.

As for your posts not being found, Mine haven't updated since some time in April.

Edit, just checked and of all the contributors here, Oscer1 and Corday are the only one with earlier posts beyond April, and theirs stop in may.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I am little confused. is it going into sleep when you are using computer or after your not using it. like when not moving the mouse for a second or two then it goes to sleep?

Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

W10 has an area where you can set sleep/hibernate behavior, then a totally separate area(under personalization ?) where you can set the behavior of the login/lock screen.
Changing sleep or hibernate behavior does NOT change the behavior of the lock screen, this is one of my 'w10 is not ready for release' grumps.

same thing with file explorer, can turn off showing 'libraries' in explorer, but that also turns off 'show empty drives' elsewhere, which means that if you want to see empty drives (dvd drive with nothing in it for example) in explorer, you have no choice but to see every em-effin zip file on your computer as a directory.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, sleep is controlled by powerconfig, to view your available states go to search and type command prompt right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste (in red):-

powecfg -a > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter), please post the notepad output here.

In addition have a good read through this:-

Sleep Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums