Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Setting up new laptop

This is a discussion on Setting up new laptop within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was setting up a new laptop for my wife right out of the box and I had some questions.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By britechguy
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk

Old 12-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was setting up a new laptop for my wife right out of the box and I had some questions. First of all, the system went directly to my name and it is identified with it. How did this happen? Maybe when I put in my email to set it up it identified the laptop with my name?
Also, how do you change the name that comes up on the lock screen? Or am I stuck with it showing my name because I am the one who set it up?
Lastly, we got the same kind of laptop for my daughter and she went ahead and set it up herself, but I want to be the administrator. How can I fix that?
usingpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

With regard to your wife's computer, during setup you created a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account, using your own e-mail address, and which will show whatever name you have associated with your Microsoft Account.

If you want your wife to be the sole account on the machine then you will need to set her account up, whether that's a local account or a Microsoft Account linked account using the e-mail address associated with her Microsoft account, as an administrator and then use that account to remove your own. If you set it up as a local account whatever you name you give the account will show up on the lock screen. If it's linked to a Microsoft Account, the name you have in the Your Info section of the Microsoft Account is used on the lock screen.

With regard to your daughter's computer, since hers is currently an administrator account (and must be, if it's the only account), you could use it to set up another account with admin privileges for yourself. Then after you have those privileges you can convert your daughter's account to a standard account, removing administrative privileges, if that's what you want to do. That or do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10, set your own account up first, then set up a standard account for your daughter.
CarlTR6 and usingpc like this.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
With regard to your wife's computer, during setup you created a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account, using your own e-mail address, and which will show whatever name you have associated with your Microsoft Account.

If you want your wife to be the sole account on the machine then you will need to set her account up, whether that's a local account or a Microsoft Account linked account using the e-mail address associated with her Microsoft account, as an administrator and then use that account to remove your own. If you set it up as a local account whatever you name you give the account will show up on the lock screen. If it's linked to a Microsoft Account, the name you have in the Your Info section of the Microsoft Account is used on the lock screen.

With regard to your daughter's computer, since hers is currently an administrator account (and must be, if it's the only account), you could use it to set up another account with admin privileges for yourself. Then after you have those privileges you can convert your daughter's account to a standard account, removing administrative privileges, if that's what you want to do. That or do a completely clean reinstall of Windows 10, set your own account up first, then set up a standard account for your daughter.
Thanks. But regarding the first thing, I don't think my wife has a Microsoft account. Even if she did she would never remember her info.
usingpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 01:59 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

You have created a thread and placed it in the Windows XP section of the Forum. Will a Nice Mod please MOVE this thread to the Windows 10 section?
If your wife has associated her Email account as a Microsoft account, when it asks for your Email address it fills in the rest with your name.
If you want to be the administrator on your daughters computer, you are going to have to login as her with her password, then create an Administrator User account. Sign out as her and login as the New Administrator. Now you can demote her account to a Standard User, and you will be the only administrator.
usingpc likes this.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Moved.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by usingpc View Post
Thanks. But regarding the first thing, I don't think my wife has a Microsoft account. Even if she did she would never remember her info.
As I did mention, you have the option of creating a local account, too. For myself, though, I wouldn't. She's going to have to remember a password or PIN no matter what to log in on the machine, and if she doesn't have a Microsoft Account creating one, using the e-mail address she already has (my login ID for mine is a non-hotmail-outlook-any-MS-email-service e-mail address) and already remembers. What you put in the Microsoft Account as her name, which need not actually be her name, is what would show up on the lock screen.

But some love local accounts and want to use only local accounts, and that option is still there if it's the one you prefer.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

A first time user online of a Windows 10 Home account, will not get the option to create an Offline (Local) account, only in Pro.
If you disconnect from the Internet, Home will give you option to create an Offline account.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote