Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Robocopy destination folder not showing, but it exists

This is a discussion on Robocopy destination folder not showing, but it exists within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just started using robocopy for my backups with the following script: robocopy C:\Users\Admin\Desktop E:\C\Desktop /MIR /MT /R:5 /W:15 /NS

Old 05-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just started using robocopy for my backups with the following script:

Quote:
robocopy C:\Users\Admin\Desktop E:\C\Desktop /MIR /MT /R:5 /W:15 /NS /NC /NFL /NDL /NP /LOG+:\rlogs\log.txt
robocopy C:\Users\Admin\Documents E:\C\Documents /MIR /MT /R:5 /W:15 /NS /NC /NFL /NDL /NP /LOG+:\rlogs\log.txt
robocopy C:\Users\Admin\Downloads E:\C\Downloads /MIR /MT /R:5 /W:15 /NS /NC /NFL /NDL /NP /LOG+:\rlogs\log.txt
robocopy D:\ E:\D /MIR /MT /R:5 /W:15 /NS /NC /NFL /NDL /NP /LOG+:\rlogs\log.txt
As seen above, I copied the entirety of my D:\ drive to a folder called "D" on my backup hard drive. However, the folder is not showing. My folder options are set to display hidden folders. And the folder does exist, because if I try to create a new folder called "D", I get a prompt stating that one already exists. Also, the used space on the backup drive matches the size of all the original files/folders that I set to copy.

There is one thing I should note: I ran the first three lines in the script as their own commands in powershell to make sure that I had configured it correctly and because the total sizes for the first three folders is rather small. I then ran my .bat file that contains all four lines and I mistakenly thought that the process had completed and just didn't copy over the D:\ drive. So I closed the powershell window and restarted my PC and was then going to try and troubleshoot the script. However, I noticed that some GB's had been filled on the backup drive, so it seems that I had closed the powershell window while the command was still running. I then ran the command again until it fully completed and the window closed on it's own. But the "D" folder is still not showing.
garmo91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Is the folder listed by the DIR command? Did you also enable the viewing of system files (super hidden or protected operating system files)? Try renaming the folder via command line.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

The folder doesn't display using the DIR command, but I was able to select it using the command "cd D" and I was able to view all the subfolders when I used the DIR command once it was selected.

It does seem that it's being treated as super hidden. "Hide protected operating system files" was checked, and upon unchecking it, the folder is showing up. Is there a way to prevent this from happening and do you have any idea why it may have happened in the first place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I don't know why it happened, but you can remove the system attribute from the folder using the ATTRIB command.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

I used the following command: attrib -s -h E:\D

This fixed the issue, however as soon as I run my batch file again, the attributes reset to hidden. My only guess is that this is happening because I'm mirroring the entire hard drive rather than each individual folder, but I'm not sure exactly what about that fact is causing the issue...

edit - it seems that robocopy will set these attributes to a destination folder when an entire drive is copied based on what I've read here: https://serverfault.com/questions/15...-backup-drives

I'm not sure why this was implemented, but I guess I'll just run the attrib command whenever I backup.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Look at ROBOCOPY's switches again for any that deal with attributes. I'm mobile right now and can't look deeper into this at the moment, but you should be able to find online documentation and other information on ROBOCOPY. Google ROBOCOPY ATTRIBUTES for a start.

Edit:
Can't you use the drive path + a wildcard as the source instead of the drive path only? For example, D:\* instead of D:\
Old 05-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry, Im very up to speed with robocopy or with using the command line in general. I set up my script based on a video I watched.

I read here trying to find what you said about attributes and I see option /copy:A may achieve this? Do you know by chance if I were to add this to the line of the script if it would have to recopy all of the files?

Regarding wildcards, I read another article here that states wildcards can only be used for file names and not folders
Old 05-18-2020, 11:20 PM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmo91 View Post
Sorry, Im very up to speed with robocopy or with using the command line in general. I set up my script based on a video I watched.

I read here trying to find what you said about attributes and I see option /copy:A may achieve this? Do you know by chance if I were to add this to the line of the script if it would have to recopy all of the files?

Regarding wildcards, I read another article here that states wildcards can only be used for file names and not folders
You're right. ROBOCOPY expects a directory path as the source and destination and wildcards are not allowed for those. No, the /copy:A option won't achieve that because it is implied by default. It seems the only way is to run the attrib command on the destination directory after robocopy.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
You're right. ROBOCOPY expects a directory path as the source and destination and wildcards are not allowed for those. No, the /copy:A option won't achieve that because it is implied by default. It seems the only way is to run the attrib command on the destination directory after robocopy.
Bummer. Well, Im glad I at least know why its happening now. Thanks for your help again. Take care.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Out of curiosity, why are you using ROBOCOPY instead of a GUI sync/backup program?
Old 05-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Registered Member

I was using File History previously, but it seems like the way the files are stored requires the utility to be used again to restore the files. I wanted a solution where I could just connect the drive and drag/drop files back onto my PC and that would be compatible with a PC that may not have the File History feature
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I wanted a solution where I could just connect the drive and drag/drop files back onto my PC
Why can't you use Drag and Drop from one drive to another?
Old 05-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Why can't you use Drag and Drop from one drive to another?
Drag/drop would work for the initial backup, but my understanding is that drag/drop will not overwrite files that have been changed if they still have the same file name. For example, if I update the tag on an audio file, drag/drop would not replace the old file with the new one if the file name itself was the same. Whereas robocopy does recognize file changes.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try Teracopy. When you copy with Teracopy if it finds a file with the same name in the same folder, it asks you do you want to Replace it? Keep both copies with a different name? or only copy Older Versions? Or Skip this file. You can turn on Checksum in the Preferences as well.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Check out https://freefilesync.org/
Old 05-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ill look into these programs over the weekend. I like the idea of the hashchecks with TeraCopy. Thanks for pointing these out.