Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Replaced hard drive but cant boot

This is a discussion on Replaced hard drive but cant boot within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My wifes computer was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 during the free offer period, but last week

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to cdpaul

Hi,

My wifes computer was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 during the free offer period, but last week the hard drive started making a noise so we decided to replace it. I have cloned the drive using Acronis and all seems to have gone ok(This is something I've successfully done before with Windows 7)

Now when I put the new drive into her computer and try to boot it says I need recovery tools but I'm not sure what that means and what I need to do.

Could anyone help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
the hard drive started making a noise
When the HDD starts making noise, the files on the HDD may become corrupted. Cloning a Failing HDD will import all the problems on the failing HDD to the new HDD.
If you have the Windows 10 install media, you can boot off of that and choose Repair Your Computer to try and restore the computer. Or you can just do a clean install. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...542549)(d_wp)()
Old 01-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

The original drive is no longer making a noise and works normally, but since I bought a new bigger drive I'd like to use. What I need to know is how to use the repair pc option to accept it, like I did in the past with Windows 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
If you have the Windows 10 install media, you can boot off of that and choose Repair Your Computer to try and restore the computer. Or you can just do a clean install. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...542549)(d_wp)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ok thanks
Closed Thread