Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Quick question about a clean install (upgraded from Vista)

This is a discussion on Quick question about a clean install (upgraded from Vista) within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, just got windows 10 installed on my machine, I upgraded from Vista. I'm happy with it, but I

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, just got windows 10 installed on my machine, I upgraded from Vista. I'm happy with it, but I have a quick question:

When I got to the install screen, I decided to install windows without deleting the partion first. This has caused me to have a 700gb folder named 'windows old', that I have to delete.

My original intention was to delete the partion, as it's been about six years since I've reformatted my computer, I wanted to do this to speed up my computer and delete junk. For whatever reason I got confused and didn't do it before installing windows.

Now, if I delete the old windows folder, would that be the same as if I'd of deleted the partion originally? Or will there still be redundant files hanging around somewhere, slowing down my computer? If so I might have to do another windows install, this time deleting the partion. I want to speed my computer up as much as possible you see...

I hope you guys understand my question, and thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Deleting Windows.old does not remove the partition.
You cannot upgrade from Vista to 10 unless you buy your copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.
The Windows.old folder is there for 30 days only so you can revert to your previous O.S. if you wish to, after that it will automatically be deleted.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther063 View Post
Deleting Windows.old does not remove the partition.
You cannot upgrade from Vista to 10 unless you buy your copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.
The Windows.old folder is there for 30 days only so you can revert to your previous O.S. if you wish to, after that it will automatically be deleted.
This is what I did, I bought a downloadable ISO from Microsoft and burned it onto a boot DVD, how dare you accuse me of not paying for it.

would there be any benefit to deleting the partion? I would presume everything would have been the same save for having the Windows.old folder creeping around on my computer?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Excuse me?
Where did I accuse you of anything
Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther063 View Post
Excuse me?
Where did I accuse you of anything
I'm sorry I was attempting to be humorous.
Closed Thread