Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem after installing new battery

3K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  usingpc 
#1 ·
I have installed a new battery in my Toshiba laptop and weird things are happening. For startup I get this utility setup screen. Is this coming on because the laptop is sensing the new battery? I choose my settings, save them and exit each time but the screen still comes up on each startup. Should I be doing something else in my general settings and why is the laptop just turning off from time to time? I hope someone can help.

#14 ·
If you have trouble, there are stores on Ebay that offer Toshiba batteries with guarantees that they will work, and if not have an easy return policy. I have had great luck with them read the reviews. Match the part # with your old batteries Part#.
There should be no OS configuration with a new battery.

#18 ·
Okay, so I pulled the original battery out to find the part number. I put it back in and guess what? I get that same setup utility screen now on the original battery!:banghead:

So I guess the new battery isn't the problem. There's something about plugging in a new battery that causes the laptop to behave this way. What could be wrong?

#20 ·
What if I don't want to take the laptop apart to change that? And to take it to a technician would probably cost a bundle. It's also an awfully strange coincidence that all of a sudden the CMOS (is that a backup battery of some kind?) would have a problem right when I was changing the regular battery. Are you certain?

#23 ·
I found one and it apparently has to be soldered. Obviously that makes it unworkable since I'm not comfortable with that.

Also, and this is the worst part of it, my laptop will periodically just shut off. I can deal with the setup screen because I can click past it in a few seconds, but why is the whole laptop shutting off at random points? Could this be a BIOS setting?

#25 ·
They are not standard, so every manufacturer decides which type to use in their systems, but the most common CMOS battery that I've seen is the CR2032 type. Other sizes apart from 2032 are also used, especially thinner ones on laptops, but it's always the coin cell type battery. However, how it is plugged into the laptop depends on how this laptop is built. Some have a slot into which you simply plug in the replacement battery, but others have the battery welded to two lead wires with a small connector at the end which plugs onto a matching connector on the motherboard, with the battery itself and terminals insulated using heat shrink sleeve, like this https://www.amazon.com/CR2032-Battery-Wire-Leads-CMOS/dp/B074PB82DT

It sounds complicated, but it isn't. Of course, you're better off first knowing which size the laptop uses, so that you order the exact same size.

#26 ·
Well the experts have spoken and I sit here laughing.
Have you reset the laptop to see a new battery?
(you can search this on Google)

or
Jump past that screen and run the laptop as normal,
Go into settings
Look for power settings
Click on change settings for running on battery and change everything to never

Now run the laptop on battery until it turns off owing to low battery.
Leave for about 4 hours and then plug charger in and allow laptop to charge for at least 6 hours or longer if you can.

Now turn laptop back on and screen should have gone
Go back into setting and reset to the times you want

Ok now here is what has happened as the battery runs down the circuits cut back and have to be reset to see the new battery as new not old and run down.
This is why it goes flat so quickly

Good Luck there is nothing wrong with the CMOS battery or you would be getting a CMOS batt alarm

#27 ·
After plowing through a few forum threads, it turns out, Toshiba is no longer including a separate CMOS battery in its products. Instead, the CMOS is powered by the main battery. Apparently, this is a new innovation by Toshiba, but Toshiba support is mostly silent about this.

This means you no longer have to take it apart to replace the CMOS battery. This also means removing the battery causes a loss of power by the CMOS and a loss of its data (bios settings and real-time clock settings). You can quickly test this theory as follows:

1. Set the date and time if they are incorrect. Shutdown, unplug the ac adapter and remove the battery.
2. Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds.
3. Insert the battery, plug in the adapter and turn on the laptop.
If the setup screen appears, check the date and time if they are still correct. If not, then the CMOS lost power and its data, hence the incorrect date and time settings.

#29 ·
The new battery COULD be bad. This is always a possibility, and in this case its too early to tell based on what you've told us or observed so far. If you want a yes or no answer, I'm afraid we are not in a position to say so with absolute certainty. What frosty said, though in a rush, is technically called recalibrating the new battery so as to allow Windows to correctly report the battery level as it falls/rises. You can try it and see if it still drainage

Did you perform the test in my previous reply?

#31 ·
Talked to a tech guy and got my answers. The CMOS is a non-issue because it doesn't do much. The Toshiba utility screen came on when I put in my old battery because that's just a "Toshiba" thing. The old battery is running fine now. I mailed back the new battery as it was obviously faulty or didn't hold the charge right. Now all I have to do is find an OEM part, which may be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.