Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Online Drops Randomly & Occasionally

This is a discussion on Online Drops Randomly & Occasionally within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. After certain updates my online which is a wired connection drops & always re connects & the modem itself is

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

After certain updates my online which is a wired connection drops & always re connects & the modem itself is fine. So its a Windows problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P32, W8P32; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.4.2

Does it ever "drop" after booting up into Safe Mode with Networking?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Never tried that one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P32, W8P32; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 4.4.2

If it still "drops" in "Safe mode with networking" it may be an ISP or hardware problem. To check, boot the computer from a Live CD/DVD/Flash drive with a version of Linux. If it still "drops" you'll know the problem is not Windows.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

The router is not even a month / two months old. Its not a router problem as this happened with the old router & no guarantee when it drops next. Some days wont drop other days it does & I don't have Linux & I have no idea how to use Linux so thats a no go
Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
After certain updates.....connection drops
Your Profile says you are running Windows XP, but you are posting in the Windows 10 Forum. Please Update your profile so we can help your further.
Press the Win key+X, choose Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters. Right click your Ethernet LAN device and choose Properties/Driver/Roll Back Driver to the driver that was working before the update.
Or you can do a System Restore to a time before the update.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomOne View Post

Its not a router problem as this happened with the old router & no guarantee when it drops next. Some days wont drop other days it does
May be your ISP's equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomOne View Post

I don't have Linux & I have no idea how to use Linux so thats a no go
It's easy to do.

How to create a Linux Mint 9 USB Flash Drive:
  1. Download and run the "Universal USB Installer", select "Linux Mint 9" and follow the onscreen instructions.
  2. Reboot your PC and set your system BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device, save your changes and reboot.
  3. Your computer should now boot up into your very own Live USB Linux Mint (Portable Linux Mint 9) Operating System from your flash memory stick.

That's all there is to it. Click on a browser and start surfing the 'net.

USB Linux Mint 9 Flash Drive creation essentials:
  • 2GB or Larger USB Flash Drive (Fat32 formatted)
  • Linux Mint 9 ISO
  • Universal USB Installer

Source: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/run-li...ive/#more-4263
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
May be your ISP's equipment
A not even 2 months old router causing this ?
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Your Profile says you are running Windows XP, but you are posting in the Windows 10 Forum. Please Update your profile so we can help your further.
Press the Win key+X, choose Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters. Right click your Ethernet LAN device and choose Properties/Driver/Roll Back Driver to the driver that was working before the update.
Or you can do a System Restore to a time before the update.
Never updated
Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Your ISP's equipment meaning everything of theirs between the internet and you.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
Never updated
Do mean you never did any updates, even though you said that is what caused this? or do you mean that you have never Updated from Windows XP? If the later, a nice Mod can move your thread to the XP section of the forum and not here in the Windows 10 section
Old 12-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Do mean you never did any updates, even though you said that is what caused this? or do you mean that you have never Updated from Windows XP? If the later, a nice Mod can move your thread to the XP section of the forum and not here in the Windows 10 section
Think about the reply I was replying to

That meant never updated the profile on here as when I first registered I was on XP
Old 12-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

Also I checked my Network Adapter in Device Manager while my connection was crashing today & the Network Adapter never had any problems during the disconnecting & reconnecting & my phone stayed on wifi the whole time. Interesting enough if I unplug the router & plug it back in it stops for a while though
Old 12-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Note that if the problem is due to failing hardware, no amount of fiddling around with software is ever going to fix it.

If you're running XP (or Vista or 7), try doing a System Restore back to a point in time when everything was working correctly.

If that's not an option, try restoring a recent backup you made when everything was working correctly.

If that's not an option either, you're left with wading through untold gadzillions of Windows settings trying to figure out what's wrong, where, and exactly how to fix it. (Best of luck with that one). Or, I guess you could also back up all your stuff and reinstall Windows.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

But how can I tell if its Hardware ? When it goes down Network Adapter in Device Manager is fine yet my PC seems to be the only thing effected when this happens
Old 12-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #16
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

You can tell if it's hardware if the same thing happens when your computer is (temporarily) running a different Operating system. (See post 7 above).
Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First change the Ethernet cable to the router. Did you Roll Back the NIC driver as outlined in post #6 ?
You can also Enable the Hidden Built in Administrator account. Log out as you and login as Admin, see if you still get dropouts. If you don't get dropouts and all your other devices have steady connection, then you may be infected with Malware/Virus. If your other devices also get dropouts, then it's a Router hardware problem.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Note that if the problem is due to failing hardware, no amount of fiddling around with software is ever going to fix it.

If you're running XP (or Vista or 7), try doing a System Restore back to a point in time when everything was working correctly.

If that's not an option, try restoring a recent backup you made when everything was working correctly.

If that's not an option either, you're left with wading through untold gadzillions of Windows settings trying to figure out what's wrong, where, and exactly how to fix it. (Best of luck with that one). Or, I guess you could also back up all your stuff and reinstall Windows.
I reinstall Windows every few months. I most recently re installed Windows 10 last week. This problem still keeps popping up regardless, Could it be a bad driver maybe ?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
First change the Ethernet cable to the router. Did you Roll Back the NIC driver as outlined in post #6 ?
You can also Enable the Hidden Built in Administrator account. Log out as you and login as Admin, see if you still get dropouts. If you don't get dropouts and all your other devices have steady connection, then you may be infected with Malware/Virus. If your other devices also get dropouts, then it's a Router hardware problem.
All other devices as far as I can tell stay online even the laptops. This is only effecting my PC could it be a bad driver ? I have already rolled back the driver & its still happening
Old 12-05-2017, 03:52 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
First change the Ethernet cable from the computer to the router.
Did you change the Ethernet cable?
What is the make and model# of your computer/motherboard?
Did you update your Ethernet LAN Driver?
Go to the computer/motherboard manufacturers support/download drivers. Type in your model# and download the Ethernet LAN driver for your model.
Closed Thread