Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Odd Win 10 boot hang at logo, boots fine on restart

This is a discussion on Odd Win 10 boot hang at logo, boots fine on restart within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So, the story is that this tower, from a cold boot, will get as far as the Win 10 logo--

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geekomatic
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

So, the story is that this tower, from a cold boot, will get as far as the Win 10 logo-- but no further. Friend says they never get the spinning circle of dots, only the logo. If you then press the physical restart button on the case, it will boot successfully into Win 10.

There were icons on the desktop represented by the generic "file" icon vs. the correct one for each application (ie, VLC, Thunderbird, etc). When I tried to open them, I got the, "this no longer exists, would you like to delete this shortcut" bit.

Should add, this machine ran the upgrade from 1803 to 1903 which removed the wallpaper it had (now solid black). I then checked programs/features (thinking maybe malware or misbehaving junkware) and found only the Win 10 upgrade assistant and Onedrive! As I hadn't had a chance to look previously, I'm assuming this is another Win 10 upgrade fiasco that has removed ALL other programs.

I removed/cleaned/reseated the RAM and have tried a brand new 750wt gold PSU and get the same thing. Chkdsk found unallocated space and repaired it- but no bad sectors. The boot drive is a WD, which shows good in the WD SSD dashboard. The HDD shows good in Datalifeguard. SFC showed no issues. DISM/restorehealth completes successfully.

Tried CSM & UEFI boot. Tried fastboot/no fastboot.

What have I missed?
srahmanshafi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you checked the update history to make sure that Windows 10 upgrade 1903 has completed successfully?
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

How about files and data are they gone as well? Can you tell us the hardware involved here brand names and mfgr which could make a difference.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Exclamation

There wasn't anything unusual in the logs. Since refresh wouldn't run, I rolled it back to 1803 and all was well again.

Of course, it'll likely happen on next upgrade, so I warned her that if it happens again, it might be easier to reinstall 10. Every update/upgrade in Windows seems to break lots of machines. Having people calling to install printers a lot, too--- even those made for 10 won't install w/o a fight (scanners the worst).

Glad I gave up on MS and jumped to Mint in 2009. I'd go insane if I had to deal with this sort of nonsense on a daily/weekly basis!

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Rolling back to 1803 today is a bad move better to reinstall with newest version as 1803 is too far back to be able to take advantage of Windows Updates, one of the main reasons Windows 10 is way safer than earlier versions of Windows.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

"Rolling back to 1803 today is a bad move"

Agree, but they needed access to their, you know, computer? The one MS routinely breaks to the point of needing a complete reinstall?

As I stated, if it fails the next upgrade, I have recommended a clean install to the newest OS. Time will tell. MS is just incredibly awful, considering their market share, lifetime, and money to toss at developers. Windows should be perfected now.

By comparison, I've run Linux since 2009 with nearly zero issues (which were fixed by asking in the forum).

Honestly, MS produces just a horrible OS.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

If you like limited software availabilities, hardware incompatibility issues galore and the surgery it takes to install the few limited programs available, Linux is awesome! I always say with FREE you get exactly what you pay for.
Not denying there are issues with Windows and that Microsoft needs to invest in a series of hearing aids for their staff but when you look at the wealth of what is available, its hard to walk away unless your needs are really simple.

Closed Thread