Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

No WiFi network taskbar icon

4K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  geo791 
#1 ·
I just installed a Netgear WNDR3700v1 router. I know it is broadcasting a WiFi network because my cellphone finds it as available. My question is about what I should be seeing on my Windows 10 PC. I have no desktop taskbar icon and it is not listed in my available networks. I have 2 VPNs, one active, one nonactive, but both are shown as available. All my LAN devices are ethernet connected, but shouldn't I see the availability on this WiFi network and have the option of having it ON or OFF? I can find no indication of it in any of my Settings screens...but my cellphone sees it and connects automatically. Can someone offer this non-techie some explanation and/or fix, please?

#4 ·
The only way this icon would not appear in the taskbar (and it does by default) is if someone turned it off in the Select which icons appear in the taskbar settings, and it's there as Network and toggled on initially, or if there's a corruption in your Windows 10 installation, or if the process for WiFi is somehow not running.

If that setting is toggled on, and you've restarted the system (as this will generally cause the network service for WiFi to start if somehow it didn't), then I'd consider Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file .

#11 ·
You are already being helped with this topic at Bleeping Computers ... https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/714501/no-wifi-network-taskbar-icon/#entry4958123 ... where it has already been determined that you do not appear to have a wi-fi network card installed.

Whilst we understand that you want to get your problem resolved as quickly as possible, posting for help with the same problem at multiple forums just wastes people's time, since people on one forum will have no idea what advice is being given on the other, and this will not only lead to a duplication of effort, but could also lead to potential problems.

Please decide which forum you want to be helped by,

#24 ·
You are already being helped with this topic at Bleeping Computers ... https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/714501/no-wifi-network-taskbar-icon/#entry4958123 ... where it has already been determined that you do not appear to have a wi-fi network card installed.

Whilst we understand that you want to get your problem resolved as quickly as possible, posting for help with the same problem at multiple forums just wastes people's time, since people on one forum will have no idea what advice is being given on the other, and this will not only lead to a duplication of effort, but could also lead to potential problems.

Please decide which forum you want to be helped by,
Excellent advertisment for Bleepingcomputers.

#12 ·
Did you ever have WiFi on your Desktop computer before?
If so, Press the Windows key+X choose Device Manager, are there any yellow flags next to any devices? Especially under Network Adapters? If so, these devices need drivers installed.

#14 ·
Thanks to spunk.funk and Corday. I'm not sure if I ever had WiFi since I have always had this PC connected via Ethernet. I never considered that possibility before. Maybe I'll try a WiFi dongle...wouldn't that pick up any WiFi network my current router would be broadcasting?

#16 ·
@weybrew: You have received good advice from @gary_r and those that have followed him based on what is now known.

If you do not have a WiFi card in the machine it is impossible to use WiFi. You can use a dongle, which is the functional equivalent, if you do not have a WiFi card.

Wherever you ask for help on anything, it is best to stick with a single venue from start to finish. If you don't settle the issue, then turn elsewhere.

It is also imperative that you mention things like never having used WiFi on a given machine and only having been connected by Ethernet. There are quite a few desktop machines "of a certain age" that never had WiFi because it was presumed they wouldn't need or use it.

#18 · (Edited)
Maybe I'll try a WiFi dongle...wouldn't that pick up any WiFi network my current router would be broadcasting?
If the computer didn't come with a WiFi card and you did not install one, you will not be able to use WiFi.
Your Router puts out a WiFi signal for your Network, no others. Any others would be your neighbors networks. if you have a USB WiFi Dongle it should show your router as an Available WiFi Connection. Then you need to type in the WiFi Password, If you set one up, this all should be on the side of the Router, or in your instruction manual. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNDR3700v1

#22 ·
Actually, following the explicit step-by-step instructions for such things don't require you to be a "techie." Well-written guides for procedures such as this should be, and usually are, written by folks that know how to effectively communicate with those not having the benefit of their education and/or experience. When I was learning how to code, and document my code, I was taught a very important thing: "Speak" as though my audience knows almost nothing about the subject matter; "talk" in terms that they will understand.

Another similar thing many novice computer users may face: "Why can't I use Bluetooth on my computer?" Having a Bluetooth-enabled wireless card helps immensely.

#30 ·
weybrew,
Most desktop motherboards do not have integrated wifi. The more pricey gaming boards may have wifi, and they will usually state that they do right in the description. I use a USB Netgear wifi adapter when working on client's computers in my basement. It connects to my network upstairs fine, though the speed is much slower. Laptops pretty much all have built in wifi, but, desktops do not. Also, if you are able to use a direct connection using an ethernet cable, that will always yield a better and faster Internet speed. This can be easily verified using speedtest.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.