Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen

This is a discussion on My brand new HP Pavilion laptop is stuck on the login screen within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My HP Pavilion laptop is not completely frozen. My touchpad works, as do some of the function keys like mute

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

My HP Pavilion laptop is not completely frozen. My touchpad works, as do some of the function keys like mute and light/darken screen, plus the up arrow so I can see the background desktop (lock screen?) with pretty picture, time, date and battery status.

The problem is the "Sign in" and the power/restart/shut down/hibernate, etc option thing are "darkened," you know that thing the computer does when things are not available, when features/menu items are not current options.

It's like my laptop is stuck in shut down, but won't actually shut down or restart. And as a computer is shutting down you lose features and can't do much if anything with it. This has happened a couple times before during updates. Both times I unplugged it, waited for the power to drain, plugged it back in and it started as normal no problem.
No such luck this time.

I have heard of similar problems in support forums, but most of that was upgrading from 8 to 10 so I doubt they can help me.

I have an HP Pavilion 5th Gen Intel Core i7 Processor with Windows 10 Home 8GB memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 02:29 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What is the actual model of you HP laptop? In the meantime.....try this......power off laptop, unplug AC power cord, then pull out the battery for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes.....connect the AC power cord and power on " WITH OUT" the battery , now power on and lets see what happens.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

Yeah it is a very common problem, even I had it.

go to power options click on when I press power buttons in list underneath uncheck fast bootup & save then it will turn off
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If this laptop is truly Brand New,l as you say, then why not take it back and get one that works? Or have them fix it? This is under warranty and you shouldn't have to do anything to a new computer to make it go.
Closed Thread